Author Topic: $100 ice rods and $50 reels??  (Read 4786 times)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
$100 ice rods and $50 reels??
« on: Dec 22, 2015, 10:07 AM »
 ??? ::)  Ok! my wife asked about a Christmas present and I gave her a list of gourmet ice rods and high quality spinning reels.  She says that nobody spends that much to pull fish thru a hole in the ice??   Years ago she bought me three ugly stick ice rods which seem OK and are unbreakable?   What is the general opinion on fishing with  multiple $150 jigging gear.   Hey!  Jiggin is still happy with a wooden stick and I have those left over from decades ago.
Dick

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: $100 ice rods and $50 reels??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2015, 10:12 AM »
I use my summer reels; Shimano Statics, but would never buy a $100 jigging rod... $30, $40 dollars rods work great!

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2015, 10:24 AM »
While the TUCR and others are very finely crafted instruments, I find it debatable whether they help you catch anymore fish.... and even if they do, I don't think that it would account for 5x the cost completely setup. Don't get me wrong, there are many areas of my life that I like "nice things" and some day when I have $150 burning a hole in my pocket I will probably buy something high.... As for right now though, I have a 4 and 5 yr old that fish with me. While they are very respectful of equipment, they are also kids. It is a lot less painful when a HT combo gets dropped down the hole, or the tip on a $20 frabril gets broke after a sword fight.... just my 2 cents.

Offline Oz 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2015, 10:25 AM »
I use cheap stuff - my favorite is an ultralite spinning rod I busted and jury rigged into a jigging stick.. Reels - geez as long as the line lays on nice and the drag works that's all I ask of that gear. My traps are going on 15 and 20 years of use - they look like junk & I do have to "tune them up" now and then
- anyway -  works for me.
But I do realize the effect, the confidence, my better spinning gear gives me so I guess its a personal choice. yolo.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2015, 10:27 AM »
I have to agree with others.. I'm not spending that kind of money on a rod /reel.   IMHO..Really don't see a need unless you are trying to impress someone..  not my thing..

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2015, 10:28 AM »
I spent $50 on a combo set up last season and thought that was to much..
I have seen to much expensive equipment get broken or lost.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2015, 10:37 AM »
I use in inexspensive rods, usually buy combos and then upgrade the reels. I use pleuger trion spinning reels, there $39 thats about my limit on an ice reel. There drags are smooth and they have 6 BB. Plenty of reel for me. My all time fave rod the frabill enticer, 26 inch light rod,  runs 25$ however, its not made anymore, I did fine one on ebay and bought it asap. You can score some very good tackle deals on ebay. I was considering a pleuger presidential but I think for ice fishing its over kill. Iva had great success with the lower priced stuff. I dont want to risk anything lost stolen or broken. My 2 cents. 
Salmonemia

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2015, 11:18 AM »
 ??? ??? ::)  Keep it up.  Ive heard a lot of gear that I like and my wife is watching and looking forward to the most practical rod/reel to get for my Christmas.   I was afraid that serious ice fishermen would tell me that the super expensive sets were what I had to have??
Dick

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2015, 11:22 AM »
I have started building my own rods, $20 - $40 for the rod and I usually pair it with a $25-$30 reel (Abu Garcia Cardinal, Mitchell Avocet, Pflueger Trion 20X) about $70 for the combo but still cheaper then custom with $50 reel.

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2015, 11:30 AM »
I use my open water spinning reels, I just swap rods depending on the season. Shimano Sienna's ($30), Sedona's ($50), Sahara's ($80) all work great! Why use a $15 crappy spinning reel when you can just use your open water reels?

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2015, 11:34 AM »
Dick this will work fine for you. I copied your wife with all the information needed. It should arrive before first ice. With the money saved you can take her out to dinner and a movie.

Offline celtbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2015, 11:45 AM »
About a 30-40 $ reel is more than enough for jigging I think, I always buy a Shimano reel and they're great. I have a expensive bait caster reel on one rod but it was something I had laying around. Larger heavy action rods for fishing very deep water will be the most money I'll spend.  When the black betty reel came out I really wanted one, but not for 100$ I didn't
Let it freeze

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2015, 11:46 AM »
I have an ugly stick combo medium that I got at Nutes about 15yrs ago that I paid maybe $30.00 for ...still works as good as the day I bought it.. :tipup:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2015, 12:03 PM »
I use my summer reels; Shimano Statics, but would never buy a $100 jigging rod... $30, $40 dollars rods work great!

Yup, I've spent some hefty coin on my summer reels so why not use them in winter too. I've got 9-10 Fenwick Elite Tech ice rods in all different lengths and weights that have always served me well at about $30 a pop.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2015, 12:15 PM »
i do have a tucr lake trout rod and i cannot say i dont like it ;D  my summer bass reel pflueger doesnt get much use so that is what goes on it.  i bought all my open season rods and reels back 20 to 30 years ago when i was young, single, and stupid, paid way too much, i dont regret it one bit ;D

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2015, 12:57 PM »
Dick this will work fine for you. I copied your wife with all the information needed. It should arrive before first ice. With the money saved you can take her out to dinner and a movie.

LMAO !

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2015, 01:01 PM »
I spent I think $70 on a 13 fishing ice combo and I like it a lot. The reel is super smooth 7 ball bearings I love it. Splurge you only live once.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2015, 01:04 PM »
Your wife is a smart woman. Be proud!! ;)
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2015, 01:11 PM »
I felt the same way as many of you stated above. However, compared to my other jigging rods I used to use, my new St Croix Legends are way more sensitive. Never have to worry about the weight of the lure or the spring sliding to the side. Does the rod catch more fish? - Absolutely not! But I do because my tool is better. For me personally the best move I ever made was to buy a flasher - instantly started catching more fish because I wasn't wasting time. Same goes when I purchased these rods - more fish because I wasn't wasting time. Less wasted time = more time with the jig in the water. With this being said, this is my experience and I do agree that you can catch fish with any rod.
Just add water.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2015, 01:11 PM »
Why don't you guys just use a stick?  It's free. Most expensive rods are fantastic. But I've noticed a lot of people on here bash them based solely on price, with no experience using the rods. I went through several cheap rods and ended up with my Fenwick elite ml. I like it. But it has no backbone. Larger fish took me for runs and I couldn't do anything about it. Soft rods have difficulties with some presentations too. Eyelets freeze easy. Rod isnt centered in the handle. Little things. So I bought a tucr precision for an all-around rod. It's damn near perfect. Light tip. Strong backbone with a great transition from the tip. Light. Sensitive but feels solid. Big open eyelets don't freeze outside the shanty. I have zero complaints. The price doesn't bother me anymore. I spent that much on cheap rods that broke or didn't perform. No buyers remorse. I actually bought a bullwhip too. Which is even more impressive in terms of blank construction. I can't wait to use it on pan fish. It works great on stream brookies! Lolll.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2015, 01:15 PM »
*Larger fish being 20"+ walleye. Occasional burbot. Big pickerel. This year ill be targeting lakers and pike too so I definitely wanted something stronger.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2015, 01:21 PM »
Why don't you guys just use a stick?  It's free. Most expensive rods are fantastic. But I've noticed a lot of people on here bash them based solely on price, with no experience using the rods. I went through several cheap rods and ended up with my Fenwick elite ml. I like it. But it has no backbone. Larger fish took me for runs and I couldn't do anything about it. Soft rods have difficulties with some presentations too. Eyelets freeze easy. Rod isnt centered in the handle. Little things. So I bought a tucr precision for an all-around rod. It's damn near perfect. Light tip. Strong backbone with a great transition from the tip. Light. Sensitive but feels solid. Big open eyelets don't freeze outside the shanty. I have zero complaints. The price doesn't bother me anymore. I spent that much on cheap rods that broke or didn't perform. No buyers remorse. I actually bought a bullwhip too. Which is even more impressive in terms of blank construction. I can't wait to use it on pan fish. It works great on stream brookies! Lolll.

I agree. I also believe a lot of people bash on rods because of the price. This isn't a fashion by any means, but if I can catch more fish with a better rod, doesn't it only make sense? I wouldn't use a hand auger to cut a hole in 30" of ice -  I would use a gas/electric/propane because its faster. Maybe my fishing style is different idk.
Just add water.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2015, 01:25 PM »
Exactly. I have no problem bashing products, expensive or not, if I've used them and they were no good. But if I don't have experience with it what good is my opinion? Who am I to say it's not worth it

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2015, 02:19 PM »

Denny, Nice guy you are....what are you going to do next, rat him out on his donuts!!!

Offline jellyroll44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • may your lines be tight and your woman not so much
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Ugly sticks! Mine was under $40 bucks.. I've jigged up 5-10 pound lakers and smeller whites all feel good! Wish it was a tad bit thicker for hooksets, but I think it presents better!

No problem spending money, but out of a few rods both more and less money, best one I have used!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2015, 03:34 PM »

Thanks Denny ::)  I'll think of you while we are out to dinner. 
Dick

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2015, 03:54 PM »
Our society is seperated by those who have and those who don't.  I remember getting bashed for paying 6.00 bucks per huge sucker on this site.  Comes down to what you want to own and spend on.  I don't ask for opinions on my purchases, expensive or not because I can expect to here opinions I don't care for.  That said, if you can spend 150 on a jigging combo more power to you.  If you can't and get it done with a 10 dollar rod more power to you too!  Whatever makes the sport enjoyable.

My complaint these days is everyone feels the need to vocalize their opinions to a fault, mostly because it's the type of interaction socila media hs created... 

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Exactly. I have no problem bashing products, expensive or not, if I've used them and they were no good. But if I don't have experience with it what good is my opinion? Who am I to say it's not worth it

No bashing on my end.... I just feel like I do well enough with the equipment that I have and can't justify it..... Yet

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2015, 04:15 PM »
Maybe my fishing style is different idk.

I think this is the crux of the issue. I find that styles are very very different. Some sit out in the open air, some are in tents staring at a flasher, some are in heated rental huts getting half corked etc etc etc.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2015, 04:51 PM »
Someone else may have said it, it's whatever is in your budget, and probably at the top end of that budget. Myself, I don't like to spend a lot of money on the rods for whatever personal reason, but I have a much easier time justifying bigger money on reels. That said, for laker rod I just switch out one of my smaller open-water trolling reels. Which aren't terribly expensive in the first place, as reels go. It's all relative.i haven't done much lighter jigging with a spinning reel, but I feel like you would want a fairly decent reel with an excellent drag on it. Reels can get to a level where cheap just isn't good. Who wants to fish with a p.o.s.?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.