Author Topic: >>>Ban On all Lead Jigs<<<  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
>>>Ban On all Lead Jigs<<<
« on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:01 AM »
A topic that came up on the Nov 30 the Sullivan County Sportsman meeting that was mentioned by F&G comissioner Hubert at the meeting was the topic of how the sportsman felt on a band of all lead head jigs= This was to include those jig heads over 1" in length and made W/Lead.

Certainly voiced my consern about that as i have hundered of jigs that would then need to be replaced if i could ever find the ones i like in LEAD FREE??
This is definitely a movement i feel on the Loon lovers= I like them but jeezum crow whats the next stop at?

You may want to call your county F&G comissioner and voice your opinion on the matter.

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: >>>Ban On all Lead Jigs<<<
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:12 AM »
Loon Lovers..  What a Joke.  I like seeing the Loons too, but I know there are many, many juvenile loons that never head south for winter.  Huddle in someones backyard pond on Gov's Island or elsewhere, and end up dieing.   If they love em so much, they should net some of them in late November, and move them.
What this is really..  Is a progressive push to remove all lead from everything, including bullets.
Or more importantly the greater hidden agenda because they don't have the political support to outright make the sports we love illegal, is to make our sports so expensive that we can no longer enjoy them, and eventually give them up on our own.
My .02

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:33 AM »
I like seeing them too but seems recently there are more loons on ponds then ducks lately.

Yes i do believe this is a push by enviromentalist that have nothing better to due then dream up plans for wild dreams and lead is the culprit.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:42 AM »
Don't you think that any bird or animal that eats a hook is going to have trouble surviving? I am fine with a sinker ban but a jig ban is ridiculous. I am from VT and called as I fish the Connecticut River. Gotta love the liberals!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:41 AM »
first i want to say i am not looking for debate ..but the fact of the matter is simple lead is toxic not only to birds but people and any wild life that consumes it...ask your self what the ethical thing to do as a sportsman and conservative ???simple answer and there are plenty of options out there ..just my 2 cents...

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:31 AM »
Just from personal observations from lobstering in the winter. most of our loons go to our ocean coastline for the winter. It seems like they should enact the same rules for the ocean, before they enact more restrictions on the lakes. 

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:40 AM »
I've fishing with tungsten this year...absolutely love them...my .02 cents

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2011, 12:50 PM »
The way i'm looking at the situation is that i guess they did kinda good = with the lead band on waterfowl Hunting in 92' going to steel shot. They always talked about waterfowl ingesting lead and i fish the ponds during the summer/fall as well as hunt them fall and winter and i have never came across a dead waterfowl carcass yet and yes they feed in the same water sprin, summer and fall. Seen the print-ups before on loon digesting lead items and if this gets going far enough through the process it might just happen?

Could be bye bye bucktails as i don't believe i have ever seen one not made out of lead.  This is something i guess the legislature is trying to get a feel for from F&G on what the sportsman and sportsman woman feel about the idea?

If people were finding say 20 or 50 or what ever dead birds a year then i would be conserned about them ingesting lead.. Move that could end up like in California like mentioned above=in the condor zone you cannot even use lead bullets=next they will find steel rots the guts out of them.

Offline whtmtniceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mora... Hold her tight and DRILL HARD!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Loon Lovers..  What a Joke.  I like seeing the Loons too, but I know there are many, many juvenile loons that never head south for winter.  Huddle in someones backyard pond on Gov's Island or elsewhere, and end up dieing.   If they love em so much, they should net some of them in late November, and move them.
What this is really..  Is a progressive push to remove all lead from everything, including bullets.
Or more importantly the greater hidden agenda because they don't have the political support to outright make the sports we love illegal, is to make our sports so expensive that we can no longer enjoy them, and eventually give them up on our own.
My .02

(Image removed from quote.)

X2

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:10 AM »
Could be bye bye bucktails as i don't believe i have ever seen one not made out of lead. 

I make my bucktails (1oz) out of Bismuth. It's a bit lighter than lead and melts at a lower temp so you need to apply powder paint quickly or go with the vinyl paint. Not as good as lead but safer all around.

JIGGIN.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:49 AM »
Is tungsten that much more expensive than lead? Or harder to work with?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2011, 02:59 PM »
harder to work with. it has to be pressed or lathed... cant melt it and put it around the hook...

Offline Monadnock Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't just throw it in the first hole you see!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2011, 04:39 AM »
I'm trying to find non lead jig heads for my tube jigs  cant seem to find any...... Anyone seen a place to get  any ?   I will say lead is a toxin and might be a good idea to remove from our water......Someday we are going to have to drink it and lead just isn't something that just goes away.

I just got done  taking all the copper out of my house and replaced it with pex....I'm glad i did  that after we got out water  re tested our lead content was down 1.5% that might not seem like alot. Drink that amount for 25 years  its got to do something to you lol.  Just my  2 cents.

I will live my life with the cards i have been dealt.When that final day comes that I'm to weak to grin. I will push the dealer all my chips  cause its all or nothing and I'm all in ...

surflizard

« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2011, 02:18 PM »
harder to work with. it has to be pressed or lathed... cant melt it and put it around the hook...
Bentley jigs Manufacturer has patented a tunsten melting process, It can be poured successfully now !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.