Author Topic: Got an Idea  (Read 3087 times)

Offline fishkopp

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Life's Short Fish Hard
Got an Idea
« on: Oct 18, 2005, 06:40 PM »
I'm going to drive the boat around and mark all the good spots with the gps while the water is soft then go back on the ice with good spots saved and catch a bucket load of fish.

;)

Does anybody know what a good spot is ?
I think this hole's too small

MikeThePike

Re: Got an Idea
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2005, 09:54 PM »
Sounds like a good idea but its tough since GPS units will not always get you to the exact spot you mark. If its a ledge or structure it'll get you close though. As for good spots, just find me n you'll find the fish (and if not you'll atleast find beer)

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2005, 11:25 AM »
I use the GPS all summer long to mark all structure. If your GPS is WAAS enabled you will get to within a foot.

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2005, 07:02 PM »
JigaWhopper has been doing that for years fishkopp and it works.

vancouvercanuck if I recall correctly most of the GPS units list WAAS enabled accurate to within 10 feet and without WAAS to within 100 feet. Also this depends on canopy, clouds, satelite position/signal, etc..
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline fishkopp

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Life's Short Fish Hard
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2005, 07:26 PM »
I don't know about use guyz ,but I would surely get up and walk ten foot to get a glass of ice cold beer . hmmmmmmm ;)
I think this hole's too small

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2005, 07:01 PM »
Yea stay in Muskies Inc. and quit preaching.
Mr.Esox

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:50 AM »
Sounds like a good idea but its tough since GPS units will not always get you to the exact spot you mark. If its a ledge or structure it'll get you close though. As for good spots, just find me n you'll find the fish (and if not you'll atleast find beer)

Fish or not ... the beer part sounds good enough reason to find ya :D  Ill bring more beer with me !

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lawyers make the best chum.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2005, 10:45 PM »
ICE COLD ;)
The more I fish, the more I  to fish, but the only  I need is BEER.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2005, 03:38 PM »
if I recall correctly most of the GPS units list WAAS enabled accurate to within 10 feet and without WAAS to within 100 feet.

I tested my WAAS when I first got it. I entered a waypoint, walked into the busy about 2.6 K and on the way back I went to the saved waypoint. Put me within 2ft of the x that I marked in the dirt.

You are correct in what you are saying. That is how I understand it as well. I'm just stating a fact that's all.  ;)

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:48 PM »

I don't dispute they can be that accurate .... but probably only if the conditions are right.

I hope we all have an early, long and safe season !!  ;)   
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2005, 01:42 PM »
I would like to add one more point about WAAS.   Every GPS manufacturer will post sofware upgrades to the handheld GPS models  to fix bugs, improve calculation algorithms and add features.  Anyways,  I just happened to download one for my Garmin V that had several different patches from the last few years.  I got a bunch of new features and some new calculating algorithim that improved accuracy to within 6 feet.  The best I could have hoped for before was 12ft. It's also possible that the it's even more accurate but I did not play with it enough to see better reading.
I think it's a good idea to  for anyone that has an older GPS to look for software upgrades,  they make a big difference.       J.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.