Author Topic: Fishing without a Vex  (Read 6183 times)

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing without a Vex
« on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:10 PM »
I know everyone swears up and down by their Vexilars, but I just can't afford one.  I blew all my money this spring on my first bass boat, so there is know was I would be able to buy one for this winter.  What would you guys suggest?  I do have an Eagle Fish Easy 2 portable, but haven't had much luck with it ice fishing.  I also have an Aqua View that I have used in the past seasons.  It's cool to see fishing moving around down there and helps to see how they react to my lure, but it definitely doesn't help me locate fish.  I really wish I could afford to even buy a reconditioned unit, but I've got some other priorities.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Fishing without a Vex
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:12 PM »
The showdown can be had for cheap. Also the Marcum VX-1 is under $300 now.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:15 PM »
come on. everyones doin it. it's the cooool thing to do man !!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:27 PM »
I would really really love to spend that kind of money, but with Christmas coming up, and being a server, it's not going to be possible.  I looked at them today at Gander Mountain and it made things worse.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:33 PM »
just do it!!!!!!!!! dont even think for one second yer using mine!!!!!!! ;D ;D

Offline firemedic07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:44 PM »
Couldn't imagine fishing without one. Sell the camera and ask for gift certificates to Gander Mt for Christmas :)

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:49 PM »
I wont fish without mine. Drove out to a lake a half hour from my house later winter got to the parking area started unloading my sled and realized that my VEX was still siting on the charger in the kitchen! I loaded my stuff back up and just went home!

Vex's are pricy but I would agree with Skipper. The Vx1 is cheap and even has the bottom zoom! also the showdowns are cheap as well but Ive never used one.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:54 PM »
i dont have one, my father in law whom I fish with alot has a lx5 and there are days when he catches them when he marks them and days he doesn't. Honestly I sit right next to him and watch the screen while he is fishing and I pull fish up blind. He can mark a ton of fish and not catch them and i can go outside the shanty and drill a hole 20ft away without a vex and start slamming them.

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:55 PM »
i'm pretty fortunate to have a cam and a flasher but I'd say if I had to choose I'd pick a flasher. the cam is fun but the flasher works at night, is much more portable and works in almost any water clean, dirty, shallow or mucky.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline spoonfeeder01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:02 PM »
 yup i'm with fire. I don't even use my cam any more, but when I did I punched a bunch of holes and rigged the cam for down veiwing and went thru the holes till I found fish. sorta a pain but it worked  "E-bay"

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:09 PM »
Imagine how much ice equipment you could buy if you put that bass boat on e-bay. ;) Just sayin' dude.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:14 PM »
Fleet Farm had the vx1 on sale for 218 i don't know if its still on sale for that but keep your eyes open there will be more sales

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:44 PM »
One quick thought that might help.  You say you are a server, so next Christmas party you are working, casually walk over to the guy who is wearing the nicest looking suit and ask him if he wants to see a pic of your bass boat.  Put it in front of his plate just so and when he looks down at it WHAMMO!  Back of the head with your serving tray!  Knock his pus right into his French Onion Soup.  If you're lucky you can reach in and get his wallet before anyone knows what's happening, and if you can't well atleast there will be one less Bozo out there hole hoggin the rest of us.  Vex's cost ya know. 

8)
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:20 PM »
I agree, sell the camera, use the money and Christmas gift cards, Christmas Cash to buy a flasher.

-Jeff

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2009, 06:07 AM »
I'd say fish with someone who has one. They can help you find the general area of where the fish are and they can tell you what's happening. And they might give you a chance to use theirs once in a while. I've done this with many people.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2009, 06:30 AM »
keep an eye on craigslist.  I've seen em go on there for under $200 bucks
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2009, 06:38 AM »
I know everyone swears up and down by their Vexilars, but I just can't afford one.  I blew all my money this spring on my first bass boat, so there is know was I would be able to buy one for this winter.  What would you guys suggest?  I do have an Eagle Fish Easy 2 portable, but haven't had much luck with it ice fishing.  I also have an Aqua View that I have used in the past seasons.  It's cool to see fishing moving around down there and helps to see how they react to my lure, but it definitely doesn't help me locate fish.  I really wish I could afford to even buy a reconditioned unit, but I've got some other priorities.
How many times do you fish through the ice in a season? If you only go out five or six times, save your money! If you fish more than that you could justify buying one. I bought my fl-8 for 100 bucks. You may have to wait for a deal. If you bought a new one it would take a few seasons to get a return on your investment.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:25 AM »
I'm afraid for me fishing doesn't apply to ROI or I'd have to justify it by saying perch are worth a benjamin a piece some years haha.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:34 AM »
I fished for years without a sonar, still caught fish. Maybe not as many, maybe more than if I had one. But it was still fun. The day fishing seems like work is the last day I fish. I got a Hummingbird silent sixty that Dad had for YEARS. I am setting that up for ice fishing this year. From what I have read on here, they work and probably could be picked up pretty cheap.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:40 AM »
I cant believe people blast a cam, I guess the sonar is quicker than the cam, but I enjoy fishing with it, seeing is believeing I guess. And no I wish i could afford a flasher Id get one.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:51 AM »
Most fish finders for open water can be adapted for ice use.....just make a small box and add a battery.....any fish finder is better than none....

Offline fishingfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live and Work to Fish
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:04 AM »
You know this is funny. I fish with one, my partner does not, old school, I guess. Well I will be watching the Vex jigging a fish coaxing it to bite and my partner will already have 3 on the ice.  :%$#!: :roflmao:

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:09 AM »
I am the same way - no money and hard to justify the amount of money one costs. I am thinking in a year I will get a Showdown probably. Keeping an eye out for one. Saw on e-bay that they had 5 for sale at one place. Brand new and a lot cheaper that the big stores. Maybe . . .

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:21 AM »
Having a flasher doesn't guarantee you'll catch fish, but it sure ain't gonna hurt. Just as not having one doesn't mean you can't/won't catch any  ;)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline firemedic07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:41 AM »
Not really blasting the cam. I have both also. Just saying if someone is strapped for cash, has a cam, wants a sonar, then IMO sell the cam(along with anything else I could part with) and get the sonar. They are more all around versatile and can be used early morning, night, stained water, year round etc.   

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2009, 09:06 AM »
You know this is funny. I fish with one, my partner does not, old school, I guess. Well I will be watching the Vex jigging a fish coaxing it to bite and my partner will already have 3 on the ice.  :%$#!: :roflmao:
[/quote

I've seen this happen also,but only in shallow water panfishing,take you're vexless partner out to a Walleye Lake where there's 30'-40' foot of water and they come in suspended,I bet he dont catch what u do............lol..... .

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2009, 09:44 AM »
How many times do you fish through the ice in a season? If you only go out five or six times, save your money! If you fish more than that you could justify buying one. I bought my fl-8 for 100 bucks. You may have to wait for a deal. If you bought a new one it would take a few seasons to get a return on your investment.

I'm not sure how often I'll be able to get out.  I went all of 3 times last year.  This year I plan to get out more, but it depends on when the lakes finally freeze up.  With it being that way, you're probably right, it wouldn't be worth it to spend the money and get one.  Maybe I can pick one up on craigslist or ebay, and it wont hurt as much as buying a new one.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:05 AM »
I'm not sure how often I'll be able to get out.  I went all of 3 times last year.  This year I plan to get out more, but it depends on when the lakes finally freeze up.  With it being that way, you're probably right, it wouldn't be worth it to spend the money and get one.  Maybe I can pick one up on craigslist or ebay, and it wont hurt as much as buying a new one.
If your looking at ebay and not in a rush, waite untill the off season because i am pretty sure you won't find one one ebay from now till ice out. But keep your eye on craigslist because you never know and there are alot of people strapped for cash right now.

Offline fishingfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live and Work to Fish
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:09 AM »
[/quote

I've seen this happen also,but only in shallow water panfishing,take you're vexless partner out to a Walleye Lake where there's 30'-40' foot of water and they come in suspended,I bet he dont catch what u do............lol..... .

Your right it was at Willow Slough and Devils Lake. Both times in shallower water. After 20 feet I clean his clock.

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:36 AM »
I wil NOT fish without one,PERIOD.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.