Author Topic: Munising Bay  (Read 4691 times)

Offline AlgerIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
Munising Bay
« on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:15 AM »
Started to form ice yesterday, and now has ice out to about 100 yards....Also noticed a shack out by the mouth of the Anne River...Won't be too long.....Goingg out on a few inland lakes in the area this Sunday, gotta get rid of the itch

Offline fishtrap21

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Munising Bay
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2010, 02:07 PM »
Outstanding! thanks for the report. I was wondering about that area.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2010, 05:45 PM »
Any updates?   Any shacks in from of the anna?

Offline Yooper_27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2010, 11:09 AM »
Doesn't look all that great right now, no shacks. Ice on the southeast/east side of the bay about 40-50yrds out, but its moving up and down with the waves. This warm weather has gotta stop!

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2010, 12:36 PM »
I hear ya there.....bring on the cold!    Thanks for the info.     8)

Offline fishtrap21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Any updates for down that way?

Offline Yooper_27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2011, 01:30 PM »
The last 2 mornings we've had ice from the city dock over towards sunset so it's coming...slowly but surely. We need this south wind to stop.

Offline fishtrap21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:06 PM »
thanks

Offline Segrat1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2011, 01:02 PM »
South wind has been blowing. It finally changed to west but calling for snow tonight, we need it. Two small portables out from the Annie this morning right on theedge of open water in about 35 feet I'd say. Still not enough for me. Ice is gone from in front of the city dock/ marina.

Offline chrisandersen24

• IceShanty Rookie
  • grab a pole lets go fishing
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2011, 05:16 PM »
keep me posted i am coming to michigan on the 7th or 8th not sure i have the week off from work. and would love to fish the bay
chris

i love the cold lets go fishing :)

Offline chrisandersen24

• IceShanty Rookie
  • grab a pole lets go fishing
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:33 AM »
I dont know who was out on munising bay today by the anne. but this is for the ppl who check the ice and cut a big ass hole in the ice and not maek it. i fell trough a hole cut by someone out there and it runed my whole day of fishing :( so if you cut a huge ass hole in the ice please mark your damb spot so some one else does not fall trough. i shure would hate to see a lil kid all excited to go out fishing and fall trough.  SO PLEASE MARK YOU BIG ASS HOLES SO PPL DO NOT FALL IN. THAKS ALOT WHO EVER YOU ARE. there is about a good 5 inches out there SO REMBER MARK YOU HOLES YOU CHOP IN THE ICE . IM NOT VERRY PLEASED.

i love the cold lets go fishing :)

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:24 PM »
I knot be verry pliesed either......sorry to hear ya got wet ...that's no fun!

Offline Segrat1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:33 PM »
Going through sucks. You really have to be carefull there because there are no trees close by for people to grab branchs off to stick in holes. I know its no excuse but some people don't even think of it. We are getting more ice though. Ice looks to be about half way out in the bay this morning, should finish freezing uo pretty fast now that the waves will be kept down. Be carefull though there is a lot more current on both the West channel and the North channel than people realize. There is even a whirlpool on the West channel that opens up and then re-freezes thru out the winter. Locals know about it but others coming in don't. We lost a couple locals, a couple made it back out,  that were snowmobiling a few years back so be carefull. Its just west of Grand Island landing.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2011, 05:55 PM »
Good to hear munising to freezing up, I can't wait to get out there. too bad your got wet, glad your ok :tipup:

Offline Segrat1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Munising Bay only has a few open spots now. Hopefully the weather gets cold and the ice thickens up. Few people have been fishing out from the Annie. I heard they were getting a few dinks. Probably in 35 or 40 feet of water. Sand point just iced over and looks pretty thin. I'll probably do a little spudding tomorrow and see what the ice looks like.

Offline Segrat1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:11 PM »
Three people got their boots wet yesterday at the Annie when a friend was out fishing. They were trying to get out a little to far. Three portable shacks out at Sand Point, but not very far out. Took a walk out with the spud and could only get to 40 feet of water. One hit with the spud and went through. That was my q to get outta there. Getting snow now so that will slow down the ice making. Maybe next week, according to Bonac it suppose to get down to 0 on Sunday that will help.

Offline SuperYooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:24 AM »
any updates for ice conditions?

Offline Segrat1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:39 AM »
Fished yesterday for about 6 hours in the morning. Nasty wind in the pop up. Had to use the ice anchors. Only got to 40 feet of water though. Had about three inchs of ice there. Walked behind the shack about 20 feet and went through the ice with one hard hit of the spud. Stayed at 40 feet of water. Caught 9 splake no whites. Biggest splake was only 15 1/2 inchs. Not making much ice with the snow still coming down.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:07 AM »
Segrat.....cancel my question on the other thread I didn't see your report here first.  We punched some holes going out....the auger would make three turns drop down a little and hit more ice.  Come to find out when we got out and setup the shack we were actually on 2 1/2-3" of white crappy ice with floating chunks of ice under the white ice!   Be very careful venturing out there!  A couple more days of this cold weather and we should be good to go

Offline Segrat1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:13 AM »
Snowing here again, not good for ice production. Probably be another week before I can attempt Powells point area. Had open water 2 days ago.

Offline giiufh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2011, 01:18 AM »
Making ice this morning. Temp read -4 when I went to work at midnight.
"In winter we shovel. In summer we swat mosquitoes. In spring and fall we rest up for shoveling and swatting."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.