New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: NFTA small boat harbor buffalo  (Read 21211 times)

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The ice man cometh.....
Re: NFTA small boat harbor buffalo
« Reply #120 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:44 AM »
I haven't posted here for a long while. We fish SMB because its close and safe. We have had great days and slow ones too. I have been out 3 times so far. Fish all over the camera. Sunday, took home 5 perch, and 11 gills all over 7.5". Guy in the single clam next to me took 24 home including 2 nice crappie....Pike are starting to show up on the camera I stopped posting because of the negative feedback. Its simple. Don't post. don't go to the harbor. This thread is to share fun and times. Mousies on a small pimple. Large mouth bass in schools. I have a riot with my wife, nephew, and friends I meet on that ice. I will post more as we get out.

Offline Jmz555

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:27 PM »
viking - Thanks for the update. I've been fishing around the bend going out towards the breakwall. 8ft to about 20ft and haven't had any like so far. I'll try fishing inside the dock area and see if I can get into some fish. I've only gone out 2 times now. I'm fishing 2 lines, one with a #2 swedish pimple tipped with a grub and a small jig tipped with a grub. Fishing them about 6" off the bottom. Any help from others would be much appreciated.

Offline Bbrown24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:02 PM »
viking - Thanks for the update. I've been fishing around the bend going out towards the breakwall. 8ft to about 20ft and haven't had any like so far. I'll try fishing inside the dock area and see if I can get into some fish. I've only gone out 2 times now. I'm fishing 2 lines, one with a #2 swedish pimple tipped with a grub and a small jig tipped with a grub. Fishing them about 6" off the bottom. Any help from others would be much appreciated.

All the perch ive caught have been on s small jig with a small shiner. I have found that actually jigging works best rather than just droppin ur bait in and waitin for a bite. My marcum marks fish just about everytime.
Empire State Fishing

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Jan 29, 2015, 03:54 AM »
seen people out there after dark almost till 10pm if you have been to boat harbor after dark i would love to know what your catching pm me if you feel it to be a secret ???

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:56 AM »
seen people out there after dark almost till 10pm if you have been to boat harbor after dark i would love to know what your catching pm me if you feel it to be a secret ???
Im sure we both know what they are catching ;) ;) ;)

Offline Rob W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Feb 02, 2015, 06:03 PM »
Went to the harbor Sunday, fished north end for ~ 4 hrs, caught 25 perch but everything was less than 6 inches, some smaller than the bait on my tip ups.  Were hitting the Swedish pimple glow with white or red spikes and white jigs with spikes.  Small minnows caught nothing, and the big baits on the tip ups never found a pike to play with  Would have preferred to get fewer fish, but big enough to keep.  Any suggestions to hooking the bigger ones?  I know they gotta be there, not sure where to try.

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #126 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:10 AM »
 Confucious say :The key to bigger fish is drive to Sturgeon!
I lIke to fish the SBH, especially with the kids. But the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Do decent fish come in the Harbor? Sure! BUT you have to be there at the right time or you'll be SOL. And no, I don't know what time that would be.
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:19 AM »

UP HERE WHERE FISH CAN SEE IT!!

You might want to start by getting your bait                                                         Fish use the whole water column.....
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Feb 08, 2015, 02:06 PM »
Last Saturday I tried a smaller lake with a buddy who lives in Franklinville. Caught lots of bluegills not many keepers but its always fun being on the ice. Yesterday my nephew wanted to try of Hamburg beach with his buddy who got fish Wed....Took my gear...got only 1...they moved around a lot. Got anxious today so I took my dog for a walk at the harbor.  Ran into 2 young kids, no tent and no fish asked for any tips so I told them my lucky spot. They seemed appreciative. Hope they got fish. Miss just being out there. Hope you guys are having fun. Bored, so I rigged up my old boat fish finder with a carrying case and a battery from my FioS box. Damn thing works...LOL...Cant wait till next Saturday now. Camera and my fish finder...LOL..too Funny....Good luck guys

Offline Daves not here man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Feb 13, 2015, 11:07 AM »
Hi, all!  wondering if it has gotten any better at SBH?  Any sight of smelt yet?

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #130 on: Feb 17, 2015, 03:02 PM »
Just got off the ice...Brutal day with the cold. Lost 1 pike at the hole, maybe 5 small perch, seen bass on the camera and 2 smelt.......time to move my spot. Pressure put water on top of the ice today. Only a handful of people out there. We used the drill attachment for the auger, work excellent till both batteries died. A youngling walked over to see if we could help with drilling holes but we were out of luck, sorry, we usually don't hesitate to help. Leaving the ice we watched 2 younglings using an axe and a chainsaw...and I thought I liked ice fishing..LOL....hope they made out well....back out this Sunday, hopefully find keepers....

Offline inyahole215

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Feb 18, 2015, 12:48 PM »
Any Smelt showing up yet

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #132 on: Feb 19, 2015, 02:18 PM »
I want to get out of the main small boat harbor and fish on the outside of the 1st break wall. Has anyone been out there or seen anyone out  there?  I never like to be the one to blaze a new trail anymore, too old.  Did all the trail blazing years ago.

Perch Chacer

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Feb 19, 2015, 05:30 PM »
You mean in the channel? Or like thru a gap to lake?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:35 PM »
You mean in the channel? Or like thru a gap to lake?

Walk past the end of the large wooden pier out in front of Doug's Dive and go around the end of the 1st break wall then head to the left.  You will be in between the 1st and 2nd break walls.   Want to fish in that area.  I do not want to continue out into the main lake.

Perch Chacer

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #135 on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:59 PM »
perch chacer, i have never seen anyone fish where you are talking about. At least on hard water. I have fished over by freezer queen and gotten some nice perch numbers though. I'd be interested to know if you pull any out of there though. Be careful as the current could make ice a little shady in that area i would imagine.

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Feb 20, 2015, 06:37 AM »
If gone out to the right to the other canal.  And that ice was safe but don't take my word!   To the right not may ppl go that way but like he said a lot of ppl go near frezzer queen. It's still shallow till ya get past break wall then in the channel you have current.   Only place I had ice issues was at the tip of where the barges sit out by Cargills.   Last year and a buddy said same there mega current there. 

Offline Bigfishbuffny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Feb 21, 2015, 06:21 PM »
Has anyone fished or have any updates on the harbor? Thanks and good luck fishing!!

Offline duane370

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing on the rocks please!
« Reply #138 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:55 PM »
fished it today. all small perch. only seen one gill. don't waste your time
Ice hut in the Winter, Bass boat in the summer
 :icefish:
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                 
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline kinkywizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Feb 22, 2015, 06:53 PM »
I fished near Freezer Queen today. Started out halfway between rock wall and FQ. In that spot the depth was around 7 fow. The ice is thick over there, it has to be a foot or more. Late afternoon I moved towards the back end of FQ, the depth was around 18-20 fow. Again the ice is pretty thick, it felt like I was drilling forever. Both spots yielded a couple small perch. Everything was caught using spikes. I only had one hit on my rod tipped with a minnow. Gold and chartreuse were the popular colors for the dinks today. Overall I caught around 23 small perch. Nothing to keep but it was fun either way.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #140 on: Feb 22, 2015, 07:30 PM »
Fished the harbor saturday...I got one thing to say. Where are all the baitfish ???...Usually by this time of year the harbor is so full of minnows a flasher is deemed all but useless. Thats usually when the bigger perch are caught, the northerns are active, and even a steelhead will zing you for a ride. The water is gin clear and not a baitfish to be found. Hopefully that all changes.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Feb 22, 2015, 11:29 PM »
Fished the harbor saturday...I got one thing to say. Where are all the baitfish ???...Usually by this time of year the harbor is so full of minnows a flasher is deemed all but useless. Thats usually when the bigger perch are caught, the northerns are active, and even a steelhead will zing you for a ride. The water is gin clear and not a baitfish to be found. Hopefully that all changes.
was wondering the same thing. this season has been weird..... last year, I had a great season at SBH, and this year is a complete opposite....
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Feb 28, 2015, 03:11 AM »
Heading out with a solid group of rookies for the most part any tips on a decent spot for constant action? I've herd guys heading south to a little bit deeper catching nicer ones and a phew eyes but would like to leave with enough fillets to fry up. Thanks in advance see ya out there

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Mar 01, 2015, 08:30 AM »
Decent day out yesterday in laws hat about 10 keepers with 1 jumbo at just under 12 a had a small pike 1 8 incher and we all had a bunch of dinks lots down there not many interested though jigging even lightly seemed to not interest dead stick was when they would play with it. Good day out though

Offline perchwisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:11 PM »
Has anyone ever tried the canal I guess u would call it where the pier restaurant use to be? People fish it all summer never seen a icefisherman on it.

Offline tava14226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Mar 11, 2015, 09:48 AM »
HI,

any updates on this area?  I know it was not worth setting up on a couple weeks ago if inside the break wall.  anyone have updates on if theres decent fishing outside the break wall?

thanks

Offline ratfink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #146 on: Mar 13, 2015, 06:56 AM »
Any updates on ice conditions in the harbor?

Offline 1952

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Heck it's only money keep going!
« Reply #147 on: Mar 13, 2015, 03:44 PM »
Two foot of ice, easy walk,a lot of small ; perch!
If it smells like fish what do You think it is???

Offline Rob W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #148 on: Mar 15, 2015, 07:39 PM »
Hi Folks

I'm new to ice fishing, and was wondering if this is a normal year in the SBH.  I thought folks had said the perch tend to get bigger there when the spawn gets started, and that there would usually be quite a few nice perch in there by now.  I tried it again today (by the pier end, and then towards FQ) and nothing over 6"  Can see a few nicer ones looking down the holes, but not many.  Does it get better in there?  Or am I destined to keep making those 2 hr drives to Chautauqua every weekend? 

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #149 on: Mar 15, 2015, 07:56 PM »
    lake erie baby     BIGFISH   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.