New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Taxidermist?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Taxidermist?
« on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:30 AM »
Looking for a taxidermist that does fish mounts, especially replica mounts. Does anyone know of any in CNY? Thanks.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Taxidermist?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:32 AM »
whatcha mountin?

JJ

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Bob Seils is in Southern NY, not Central, but he does great work and does replicas: http://www.seilstaxidermy.com/freshwater.html

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Sub'd. I would also like to know where reputable replicas can be done
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline tjsomerv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2014, 11:27 AM »
Scott Samolis Taxidermy on the west side of Honeoye Lake. Does great fish

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Rome taxidermy in Deansboro is by far the best taxidermist I've ever seen. Ever since my family found him he's the one we go to. We have deer mounted by others next to his and the contrast is amazing. Also had my PB largemouth done by him last year. The detail is amazing. I'll post pics if ya like.

Offline antelope76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2014, 01:08 PM »
Steven's Taxidermy in Deposit NY

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Rome taxidermy in Deansboro is by far the best taxidermist I've ever seen. Ever since my family found him he's the one we go to. We have deer mounted by others next to his and the contrast is amazing. Also had my PB largemouth done by him last year. The detail is amazing. I'll post pics if ya like.
I'd love to see a pic of his work if you don't mind. Does he have a website?
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2014, 01:54 PM »
Let me go take a couple of my bass and I'll find his number. He's old school. No website. He's won just about every taxidermy competition there is. Including nationals every time he has entered. I'll warn ya now...he loves his job and will talk your socks off  ;D

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2014, 02:01 PM »
315stickbow, I have it on the rolodex, Rome Taxidermy
                                                       2539 State Route 315, Deansboro, NY 13328
                                                       (315) 841-8999

Did a little research earlier, feeling lucky. Like to see the bass too.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2014, 02:15 PM »
X2 on Rome taxidermy Louie does great work, and is regarded as one of the best around.. I wouldn't take a fish to anyone else...
Here's my pike he did...

not the best picture but you get the idea
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline milkman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2014, 02:21 PM »
Louie has done several deer for my family and I have seen his fish. He is the best around. We have a couple deer mounts from 20 years ago and they still look new.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. Pictures don't usually give mounts the credit they deserve, both look great! Mr. Spina has been consistently getting high regards, I'm hoping to give him some business soon! ;D Thanks again!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Thanks for the info and taking the time to snap a few pictures. My mind is now made up. I'm assuming for a replica you just need length and girth measurements, weight, and plenty of pictures?
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:18 PM »
Thanks for the responses and pics guys. Does Mr. Spina at Rome Taxidermy do replica (fiberglass mounts) fish or only the real deal? Was also wondering if anyone has had any fish (replica) done by Northwoods & Water Taxidermy? Gotta a real nice walleye this morning and was kinda thinking of getting it mounted.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Mine was real deal but I'm pretty sure he mentioned doing replicas. Give him a call. Glad I could help. I'm not sure where im gonna go when he retires.

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Thanks for the responses and pics guys. Does Mr. Spina at Rome Taxidermy do replica (fiberglass mounts) fish or only the real deal? Was also wondering if anyone has had any fish (replica) done by Northwoods & Water Taxidermy? Gotta a real nice walleye this morning and was kinda thinking of getting it mounted.

Must be your pb. Any pics or measurements?   Never had a fish mounted so im no help. Vickerson in pine lake and a guy in cherry valley do great deer mounts thou.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:38 PM »
I'm not 100% positive but I believe he does...

The best thing to do is go in and look at the taxidermist work.. There's  a lot of guys out there who do good work and are respectable... But there are a small hand full who will make you a work of art... my personal opinion , and I emphasize personal, is that replica mounts just don't look the same... I've seen them side by side with skin mounts and I don't care what anyone says there is a clear cut difference... IMO skin mounts look 100% better and are so much more life like that there isn't a comparison.. But with that said plenty of guys are perfectly happily with replicas...To each there own.. I have a friend who had a replica brown trout and a skin mount Atlantic done and has them side by side..Its a night and day difference.. The replicas just have the  " not real " look to them. Whereas the skin mount just screams im actually the fish... Just my opinion I know some will disagree...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:52 PM »
I got a picture of a bass I caught in 09 through the ice that I never took measurements of wonder if you guys think any taxidermist will be able to do a replica of it.... its the one in my avatar... I keep trying to figure out the actual measurements by doing the scale of my head to the fish but keep getting in the 40 inch range  :cookoo: lol  Maybe someone can figure it out here's a bigger picture

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:04 AM »
Use your hand as a scale

Offline 85champ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Natures way taxidemy is in western NY but is absolutly worth the drive. He does 100 percent real fish with even the natural heads, i wouldnt go anywhere else he does an amazing job. Fish look better then when you caught them Number there is 7167314215

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:17 AM »
I got a picture of a bass I caught in 09 through the ice that I never took measurements of wonder if you guys think any taxidermist will be able to do a replica of it.... its the one in my avatar... I keep trying to figure out the actual measurements by doing the scale of my head to the fish but keep getting in the 40 inch range  :cookoo: lol  Maybe someone can figure it out here's a bigger picture

(Image removed from quote.)

for replica's to be accurate, you either need a good picture, and a accurate weight (you actually weighed it with a decent scale) or you need length and girth measurements.

I had a replica mount made of my 10lb 6oz largemouth I caught in 2010. I took length and girth measurements and a guy on the lake took pictures for me, but it just got dark and they were bad pictures.

I sent all the info to the taxidermist and he came out with a accurate mount. This fish was 25 3/4" long, and 21" in girth. I could have put my head in his mouth.

judging by your picture, I would say yours is in the low to mid 7lb range...a 7lb largemouth usually runs around 22-23" long...and If I had to guess, the girth would be somewhere around 16-17".

Offline johnm3091

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Being a former taxidermist for over 20 years I would like to add that fish taxidermy and animal and bird taxidermy are all vastly different. I was pretty good at deer heads (have a couple first place ribbons), not too bad on birds, terrible on fish (would not take any in for hire I was so bad). Two things to look for in fish taxi 1) structure, are there any sunken areas esp. around the head, are the fins thin and look natural, are fin butts where they should be ,,, etc. (most guys can get the structure correct). 2 PAINT this is the hard part. The fish should not look painted, sounds obvious and sounds easy, far from it. To paint a fish correctly you have to underpaint it, just enhancing what was there. A real skin mount when dried but before painting has lost 90% of its color but there is enough there to determine where its markings were. The taxidermist has to bring these back to life.... on a repro the base starts out white and the artist needs to put all the color on it, and this is why sometimes they just dont look the same.          So if it were me I would base my decision strictly on seeing the taxidermist commercial work, fish that are going to customers and not for display or competition.  My competition deer heads had details that only a judge would look for and those heads would typically have 100 plus hrs into them, thus look at the pieces they are or have delivered to customers. Your eye will tell you who to use.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.