Author Topic: Perch  (Read 7970 times)

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
Perch
« on: Jan 13, 2003, 02:27 PM »
I need any and all tips for catching perch throught the ice.  Jumbos or midgets, I don't care. ;D

O ya please instant message me, instead of replying. ;D
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

crappie hole

Re:Perch
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 04:19 AM »
Try a #14 red-n-yellow Marmooska tip it with a spike (maggot) a foot off the bottom BAM!

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2003, 09:23 PM »
Try a #14 red-n-yellow Marmooska tip it with a spike (maggot) a foot off the bottom BAM!

is a spike (maggot) just a wax worm?

Melbs     :'(

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2003, 11:05 AM »
Hali Sukkula Jigs by Nils Master are the best
Tip them with a spike, minnow, minnow tail, or perch eye and fish them 12" off the bottom, jigging slowly or just deadstick it.

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2003, 04:12 AM »
Spikes and wax worms are 2 different creatures. I seam to have better luck with the spikes(maggots) :'( If you want the bigger perch use either a genz_worm or a fatboy by system tackle. :'( :'( :'(

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2003, 05:31 PM »
Wuts your favorite color Hali?  I used a glow perch color this last winter and caught a few nice perch with it.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2003, 03:28 PM »
it changes day to day, you have to find the right color on the right day

acsacmboy

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2003, 10:08 AM »
i used to be  ajig guy who would go fairly good. now i switched to the pimple and my catches gone up threefold.

Offline doughtdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LTD!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:44 AM »
in my ice shack we just use a #6 or #4 hook about a foot off the bottom with part of a dead shiner on it, so far this year we havnt landed less than 20 perch bigger than 6 inches.  last year on opening day we got 47 perch

Offline swedishpimp

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2004, 11:42 AM »
My most favorite lure is the all silver swedish pimple with the red tear drop tipped with a single wax worm.  I use the treble hooks.  Lots of percha nd crappie!

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:09 PM »
My favoriate would have to be a Hali. But if that fails you can go to a sweedish pimple and they seem to work for everything

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Perch
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2004, 04:45 PM »
I like jigs the smaller the better went out last week and used a 1/32 oz pink jig tipped with a small minnow until i caught a perch then tipped the jig with an eye when that died down I switched to a 2'' strip of perch belly meat[awesome action] and ended the day finishing the day with two 5 gallon pails to their one.My buddy next to me was using an 1/8 oz jig and I caught 55 perch good ones 10'' and up to 12'' before he even caught one ;D ;D ;D

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2004, 06:37 PM »
LIke a lot of people already said,you cant go wrong with a swedish pimple,or Hali.they are both deadly! >:D

bigdave1018

« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2004, 08:01 PM »
i have good luck using a tetr totr jig in yellow chartreuse or orange on a drop shot rig and tipping it with either spikes or a small minnow in deep water. i use a heavier weight to get down faster and keep the bait in the zone. hope this helps, big dave out.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2004, 11:06 PM »
Silver and pearl swedish pimple tipped with a slice of fish belly. Never fails.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline jb7mmstw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2004, 02:41 PM »
My favorite is a gold swedish pimple with a Hali chain and hook suspended from the bottom split ring with a whole minnow or just the head or a  couple of maggots.  Works great for bluegills too (w/maggots).  If there not biting on this, there just not bitin'.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2004, 08:23 PM »
attractor of any type + hook = perch (bait optional, but recommended)

Offline Zgills08

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2004, 08:22 PM »
My favorite spoon is a Kastmaster in gold or silver tipped with 3-5 spikes.  I jig it aggressively and beat the bottom.  When a fish comes in I stop jigging and let the spoon just sit there.  After I catch a fish most of the time I rebait the hook.  The only exception is if theres a school below me.  Fresh bait makes a difference. 

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2004, 07:37 PM »
My favorite is the hali especially for lake george
Sccond choice the glow pimple
I Live To Fish

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2004, 08:12 PM »
Perch generally hang out near the bottom on shallow or deep flats. Flats seem to be the best. Oftentimes, the transition on a flat from a hard to soft bottom is a magnet. Location is generally the biggest piece of the puzzle, as perch generally hang in large schools and don't move long distances to feed.
Perch aren't that finicky. Any small jigs tipped with bits of crawler, mealworms, waxies, or maggots work well. My personal favorites are custom jigs and spins demon, custom jigs and spins shrimpo, custom jigs and spins ratso, custom jigs and spins stinger, a #2 jigging rapala, a 1/10 ounce swedish pimple, or any other small spoon/teardrop jig. Just gently alternating small lift falls with pauses and jiggles will usually catch you plenty of these sweet tasting fish.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline EscapeIsNever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2005, 04:18 PM »
im new to jigging, and well ice fishing in general.  a guy i know swears by swedish pimples and eyedroppers.  i picked some up but havent had any luck yet....anyone use these?

NEF!

Brian

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2005, 10:11 PM »
So far this year they haven't liked aggressive jigging. But I have caught dozens each trip just gently jiggling and pausing my lures. The lure choice hasn't really mattered a whole lot, the action has been key. Frostee spoons, demons, shrimpos, nuclear ants. They liked em all. I think your best off with two pound test for most all lures though.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2005, 06:26 PM »
I use  couple of flies I tie and an orange dot. The flies are made of peacock feathers. I put a weight on the bottom of my  line just to get the rig down to the bottom. Then I jig the flies up and down. Will out fish most of you every time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.