Author Topic: found 5.5 inches of ice today, OMG the drill setup is amazing!!!!!  (Read 1657 times)

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
So i found 5.5 inches behind my house today and wanted to try the porter cable 20v cordless edge drill on my auger. OH MY GOD I WILL NEVER HAND AUGER AGAIN!!!! thought my blades were getting dull this season but this thing just hogs its way through. made an adapter out of a $2.80 steel garden stake. ground a chuck end on it and bam, easy drilling

Oh and got a couple bluegills to hopefully hold me over til trout season.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
i know how you feel! i drill holes just to drill holes and not use them. keeps others guessing what holes were holding fish too.

try to get a way to add a bungee cord or nylon webbing strap onto the adapter so when the chuck lets go you don't loose the auger.

take a look at ice master adapters to see if you can use their concept or some thing like it.

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks. I did try the bungee but It spun with the drill, broke and hit me in the eye. So I cut a circle out of the bottom of a junk bucket and put it on the shaft right under my wingnut. It had a little give so going to put another right under under it for next year. My poor shoulders and elbows. Can't believe I didn't try a drill sooner.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
What auger are you using?  I have tried the blue Mora and black laser. Seem to be pretty close in speed. I use 28 volt ryobi with the bigger lithium ion battery. Works like a dream.. Buddy made me a adapter that replaces chuck. He turned it out on lathe at work. Love how quiet and no smell it has. Still carry my 8" jiffy for tipups or when ice gets over 18" or so.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Correction-- 18 volt ryobi drill

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
REALLY, i had an old blue ryobi set and didnt want to go that route honestly dont care for the ryobi cordless line. I have a corded grinder and sawzall by ryobi i swear by though. Anyway i am turning a 6" eskimo standard hand auger. Thought about getting the 6 inch eskimo silvertip next season but man the porter cable has no issue turning this with 3 yr old blades on it so im not sure what i will do.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
5.5 inches EH!!!
How's it work in real ice?   :whistle:

;D

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Now Dave quit rubbing it in.
Bud

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
you porbably don't keep track of Pennsylvania but we had a super short ice season. finding 5.5 inches here now isnt possible, between last night and today the ice is gone. looking at the calander i have 25 days until i can get into the trout water down here. Wish we had half that ice in that pic. And im sure this porter cable will eat it up.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks. I did try the bungee but It spun with the drill, broke and hit me in the eye. So I cut a circle out of the bottom of a junk bucket and put it on the shaft right under my wingnut. It had a little give so going to put another right under under it for next year. My poor shoulders and elbows. Can't believe I didn't try a drill sooner.

I don't know about your Porter Cable, but my new Milwaukee Fuel chuck is very secure! I don't know if it's the chuck, the adapter or the combination, but it grips TIGHT and actually you have to unscrew it a lot(many revolutions) before the adapter/auger will come out. I know this because I remove the auger at the end of the day and put the drill back in the case after each trip. I doubt I will ever have a problem with a lost auger.

And I still take my handle in case of emergency, but again I doubt I will ever have to use it! I think in most areas the gas augers will become obsolete now that the cordless drills have evolved to this point!  @)

Now I am looking forward to using the drill around the house................. ...................... now that the "auger season" is over!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
i hear ya, i got myself the drill impact combo, so cant wait to use them.i ground a triangle end a hexagon end and the hex holds on much better than the triangle, though my triangle does taper a little bit. didnt want to go to far and have the triangle chuck end break off, i wonder what torque actually goes through that little steel piece.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Now Dave quit rubbing it in.

NAH!!!!
Ain't gonna happen.
It's one of the major perks of living way the heck up here.
   ;D

Offline Duck-Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
I sold my gas auger 2 years ago and have not looked back. I love my drill setup.

Running a Milwaukee m18 fuel paired with a nils convertible
REMOVED

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Its the new green ryobi. It is a regular or hammer drill. Got it st home depot just after Christmas for 99 bucks. Bought 2 of the "bigger" batteries and charger that plugs into cigarette lighter. Works great so far. Time will be the test for it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
i wonder what torque actually goes through that little steel piece.
tell us what porter cable drill & impact driver kit you bought for 129$ and we can answer your question about torque

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-2-Tool-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-Li-ion-Brushless-Motor-Cordless-Combo-Kit/1000135051

this is a little more than i found it on sale for. And as you can see they are saying MWO as power now for the drill not torque. The impact is 1400 in lbs but that not how they rate the drill.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
anyone know what MWO stands for and how to convert to in,lbs.? not to be a cynic, but usually when a co. puts out an obscure, not well known standard for its product, somethings rotten in denmark, as we used to say when baby,s diaper smelled.could be wrong, but i doubt it. wire

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
I have the same drill driver combo. I use the drill on my 7" mora works good but hard to hold on to the driIl with out a side handle.my set did not come with a side handle but the rigid side handles fit on the PC drill np. Also I noticed after drilling a few holes in 18" ice the drill would get hot and give off some funky smells. This is my first season with this set up we will c how long it holds up. 4 and 5 ah batteries make a huge difference,45 holes in 14" of ice or maybe it was 16" I can't remember now. Good luck with ur set up

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
MWO stands for max watts out of power.  the drill does have some torque, i tried a handle from a cheap hammer drill i own and it did not fit.

I might go to 7 inch auger next year. 

i think that funky smell your referring to is that laminate that is on the motor area that kinda burns off after a while.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
anyone know what MWO stands for and how to convert to in,lbs.? not to be a cynic, but usually when a co. puts out an obscure, not well known standard for its product, somethings rotten in denmark, as we used to say when baby,s diaper smelled.could be wrong, but i doubt it. wire
To convert foot lbs to inch lbs, multiply foot lbs by 12. Inch lbs to foot lbs, divide by 12. There are conversion tables online.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.