Author Topic: Pigeon Lake  (Read 14330 times)

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
Pigeon Lake
« on: Nov 21, 2003, 01:48 AM »
I am going to go to Pigeon Lake AB in Febuary for the Original Ice Fishing Contest. Has anyone fished on Pigeon Lake? What should I use? Where abouts near Ma-Me-O Beach is good for hard water fishing?
Any help would be great!
Is there anybody else going? I am staying right on the lake in a cabin with a couple buddy's. I think we are right across from Wayne Gretzke's place.

See you on the ice!
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Minim

Re:Pigeon Lake
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2003, 09:31 PM »
Go to http://members.boardhost.com/fishalberta/
There is all kinds of info there for Alberta lakes.

Offline Nuke Ab

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If they're there,....... we'll get'm up!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2003, 07:31 PM »
A great walleye factory! I watched a buddie of mine pull a legitimate 7lb eye through the ice there, we both cried as she went back down the hole!!  :( But that's why you can catch them there!! Godd luck at the derby!
Tight lines!

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live To Fish, Fish To Live
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2003, 10:05 AM »
your in luck Josephs Prairie i fish pigoen almost every weekend except when ices is goin in and leaving and i always fish ma-me-o and i have been in the durbey last year (waste of time) >:( but i normally have great sucsess during first ice right straight north of the large pier in about 8-12 feet of water, using tip ups for pike with your bait about a foot off the the bottom u will mostlikly catch the odd ling or big walleye thats the only thing we can catch in the summer. in later season u should fish along the beach heading north or go right to the north end of ma ma o and fish in about 8-12 feet of water infront on a indian semetary which is paralle with the beach but hiden but a strip of trees. There is a very interesting sand bar system there your buddy tent can be 2 feet away and hes in 3 feet of water and u can be in 5 feet just 2 feet away it does this for a while but. but at the end there the beach turns west and u can fish in that corner in the middle somewhere and u wont have to deal with the sand bars. You can access this place easily. good luck and if u have any questions write back. :'(

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2003, 02:52 PM »
Excellent info King Fish#1! What do you use for hooks? I heard it was a good idea to use steel leaders, is that so? Do you use minnows or something else for bait? Do many people fish in this spot you have mentioned?
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline izzyfender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2003, 07:12 PM »
has anyone here fished pigeon this season yet? i went on friday and it was very slow didnt even get a bite all day, didnt even see or hear anyone else catch anything either

Offline izzyfender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2003, 08:09 PM »
opps i mean sunday

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2003, 09:51 PM »
hey Josephs Prairie  yes other poeple do fish down in that corner and along the north beach that goes west for whites mostly and they fish the corner for whites 2 but theres lots of big pike in there 2 years back i cought a 18lb in the summer, right in that same place and and a few 12 + lbers this year. I normally just use tip ups with quick strike rigs or a fair size treble hook in the back of a 4-6 inch smelt. ive cought the walleye in the winter only by mistake on a tip up but there around there in deeper water in about 18-25 i believe (thats were the guys catch them in the summer) u can try useing wire worms and wetaskiwan specials for whites,eyes and pike will also bite and the specials. but like i said if u want to catch pike use  tip ups. I dont normally designate a day just for eyes but ive heard and seen people catching them one jigs tip tipped with a minnow in the same corner. if u practise some basic fundematel fishing taktics u wont get skunked i  never have my 5 years or fishing hardwater along ma-me-o.

Ps. if your using  mono line steel leaders can be used i alwasy do for pike not for whites no doubt but i wouldnt worry about using them for the walleyes but theres alot of aggressive pike mixed in with all the fish in all there areas.

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2003, 09:59 PM »
Izzy its nice to talk to someone that fishes pigoen in the winter where were u fishing? and yes i went out on the 23rd of november to the peir on ma-me -o and i landed 2 nice 14 lb pike and about half dozen 5-6 lb. but i only saw 1 white the whole day. If u were fishing on ma-me-o and were fishing the whites there ive heard and experience there reason y u werent getting bite. The pike are so aggressive right now i talk to an old lady that live on the lake she lost 20 hooks her first week due to the pike
im not sure how the rest of the lake is doing if u kow please tell me thanks.

Offline izzyfender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2003, 05:08 PM »
Hey King Fish, yeah its great to know that some people on this site ice fish on pigeon lake. on sunday me and my dad went to the provincial park to ice fish, it was very slow, i didnt even see anyone else catch any fish. some guys that i talked to said that whole lake was going very slow that day. do u ever fish by the provincial park?

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2003, 09:20 PM »
hey izzy im 16 but dont have my license just yet so i only fish ma-me-o becasue my mom drops me off and my buddys mom picks us up but they figure if we try a new spot they will get lost and confused... tipical woman but i think im goin to get my license before the end of january so i should be all over by then. what were u guys fishing for on sunday im goin out this weekend maybe both days.
 :'(

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2003, 06:22 AM »
Hey thanks again King Fish#1. I'm on my way out to catch some Ling but I'll post again later.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

sweet446

« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2003, 05:53 PM »
hi im going to the Pigeon lake contest as well and i was wondering how the hell do u catch a good trout whats the best bait or jig to use? ???because me and my dad are kinda wondering how to. :'(And other tips on how to catch pike, perch, walleye ect.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2003, 12:27 AM »
Just go down to the tips section young fella and you will find lots of fish specific questions & answers. ;)

sweet446

« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2003, 06:07 PM »
Thanks buddy i found lots of tips thanks for ur help and is there anyone else going to the pigeon lake contest? :-\ :'(

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2004, 08:03 PM »
Yes I'm going to. Get there early. Got in the line up at 2am and there was 50 people ahead of us already. The guys that were first in line arrived at 5pm the day before. Good luck. Tip: try and get an outside hole. Good luck ;) 133 fish caught last year for the 3000-4000 fisherpeople there.

Offline alpinehigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • jigging rapala is a great ice lure
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2004, 03:24 PM »
Hey Terry;
You come all the way from prince george to fish the pigeon lake tourny?

Ive been in those before and didnt really like them. Feel like its buying a lottery ticket outside.
Good luck to ya anyhow, maybe ill see you out there.

I caught a couple 4# 'eyes last weekend, hoping to make it out there agian this weekend.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2004, 11:47 PM »
Yeah a buddy lives in NewSarepta so I make a visit of it. You are right, it kind of seems like a lottery. ??? ??? ???

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2004, 06:00 PM »
Hey Terry that's a good tip about the out side hole's. I was planning on it anyway because I want to fish shallow water.
So they were lined up at 5pm the day before or were they just out there fishing. I plan on hopefully being one of the first 50 inline. Guess I will be bringing the wood stove when I go.
Hey wanted to ask; can I bring in my ice fishing sled into the fishing area? It carries all my gear and stuff. I thought I saw a pic on the site showing somebody having one at there hole.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2004, 10:58 PM »
hey Josephs i was in it last year and that guys right its very important to get an out side hole in shalower water u can bring in your sled lots do, remember to bring a spud to re open the holes becasue there drilled the night prior.they will shearch your sled and anything else for cheaters . if u can try to get and early bird ticket which allows them in 1 hour early ahead to pick their holes. The areas it in a diamond shape  and the tents and stuff are in the middle so try to get a hole in shalower water and dont go past the points on the diamond shape or not past the tents and last year i notice alot of pike were being pulled about on the south end of the diamond on the point and i beileve the winner came from there.
any more questions just e-mail me
 ;)

sweet446

« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2004, 04:54 PM »
so i was wondering what is the bait to use on a big pike?and what is are the best baits for perch. ??? ??? ??? :'(

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2004, 08:11 PM »
Thanks King Fish #1, I got my tickets today in the mail. We are early birds, and I plan on being in the top 20 people. We have a cabin on the lake we are staying at so it won't be a problem getting in line early. So long as my buddies are into hanging out all night, which I hope they are or they won't be getting any prime holes.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2004, 10:13 PM »
hey joseph if  u have and early bird u dont have to be there so early beacasue the tell the early bird to come to the front so all u have to beat it the few hundred or so early birds
which doesnt involve getting up really early

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2004, 10:16 PM »
sweet 446 have u ever fished pigoen ?

sweet446

« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2004, 10:15 PM »
No

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2004, 12:46 AM »
Hey King fish, at the Regina beach tourny they have two line ups, early bird and reg.
So at Pigeon all you do is show up with your early bird and get in line behind the last early bird?

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2004, 02:01 AM »
Lots of good info guys, I am going to be so ready when the time comes. I can almost feel the money in my hands. ;)
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2004, 10:45 PM »
Thats money leaving your hands JP. Its OK to dream though ;)

sweet446

« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2004, 01:53 PM »
so what is the best time to get in line if ur not an early bird? ??? :'(

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2004, 06:30 PM »
You think so, eh Terry! Then I'm taking home a new boat, motor and trailer or a new Quad. But I think I'm gonna go for ths cash first.  :)
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.