Author Topic: Worst Injury you have acquired while ice fishing?  (Read 2977 times)

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Worst Injury you have acquired while ice fishing?
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:02 PM »
Mine would be a broken ankle after I ran for my dead stick today on Gull.

Limit of whites and a beauty burbot....some laughs with a buddy.....now was it worth it...

Heck Ya....I'll heal. LMAO.

What's your worst injury ON ICE...FISHIN'?

Good fishin'!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Worst Injury you have acquired while ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:42 PM »
wow man... hope you heal fast... I was running across the ice once with full sole cleats on and the front edge of the cleat folded under when I went from ice surface to a slight snow drift.. it threw me across the ice and I could swear I broke a rib at the time... but . fortunately I didn't.... I just hurt for a few days.

Glad you had a good day dispite the ankle.
How was the ice?
-Shackless
Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:51 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. It sure will slow my tip up retrieval. And I'm wondering how to spike my crutches and "ROBO-BOOT"!

If say and average of 10".

Not the best looking, and that is opinion; of course. 

I FELT safe driving the '92 Jeep on it. Some felt safe driving thier 2500-3500's.

Good fishin'!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:13 AM »
Worst one was a auger across the knee.   Opened it up nicely so I could see nice white knee cap (bone).  5 outside and 4 inside stitches.  How did this happen?  A massive windstorm on Pigeon blew me and a buddy across the ice for several hundred feet including all our stuff and I was holding the auger in my hand as the wind took me over.  Same storm killed a guy para sailing at Wabamun that weekend.  Sorry to be a bit of buzz kill....

2nd one was just a few years ago with a buddy heater that was a bit faulty.  Cold temps.  In tent.  Sparked it....boom!  No eyebrows, no eye lids, burnt back of hand, burnt tip of nose, melted sweater and lots of nice smelling burnt hair.   That one we can laugh at better!  What a dumb ...

Are you feeling better yet?

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:15 AM »
If say and average of 10".
I FELT safe driving the '92 Jeep on it. Some felt safe driving thier 2500-3500's.

:cookoo:  ???   
8-12" for small cars.... and considering the weather, the ice likely needs a couple more grace inches to make that guideline viable.
I certainly need some colder ice making weather before I would be driving on there with the SUV for any kinda of distance.... sure Gull lake is shallow, but environmental clean up charges are expensive.
12-15" for a 1/2-3/4 ton .. I always pretend I drive a 3/4 ton even when it was a Celica.
 Be Safe out there.
Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:27 AM »
Worst one was a auger across the knee.   Opened it up nicely so I could see nice white knee cap (bone).  5 outside and 4 inside stitches.  How did this happen?  A massive windstorm on Pigeon blew me and a buddy across the ice for several hundred feet including all our stuff and I was holding the auger in my hand as the wind took me over.  Same storm killed a guy para sailing at Wabamun that weekend.  Sorry to be a bit of buzz kill....

2nd one was just a few years ago with a buddy heater that was a bit faulty.  Cold temps.  In tent.  Sparked it....boom!  No eyebrows, no eye lids, burnt back of hand, burnt tip of nose, melted sweater and lots of nice smelling burnt hair.   That one we can laugh at better!  What a dumb ...

Are you feeling better yet?

Not looking to feel better or worse by comparison......but thanks for the stories.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:10 AM »
HOLY CRAP RYAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel for ya man.  that is one painful injury.

Whatever you do in the next few weeks do not try tearing after a tip up with a cast on your ankle.

Take it easy and just fish the one rod for the time being.

Heal up buddy.

SHOTGUN

Offline flytyer nymph

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:24 AM »
Ryan take care of that ankle........no fishing ..........lots of rest with your foot......lol.not sure about the spiked crutch idea.
My worst was on Spray pullin the over waited 5.00 dollar Canadian Tire sled when my feet went straight up my head straight down.flat on my back out cold.rang my bell.be buyin some cleats this weekend.
Kj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:28 PM »
Thanks Shotgun. Ya it's killing me today.

Good thing the army beat the hell out of my knees and ankles. Had two sets of crutches and a robo-boot ready when I got home.

Holy Jeez Nymph....you got your bell rung like AVON? That's crazy. Good story though. First ice knock out I've heard of.

Thanks for the kind words all. I hope this won't take me out too long. Find out in a few mins.

Good fishin!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Doctor is fast and proficient.

Called and said it's not the kind of break he thought it might be (after X Ray review).

No pressure on the foot. But this will heal faster than a break. Keep the boot on and stay of it.....

I never thought I would want to attach Rod holders to my jeep.

So I might have to go slay whites n Burb from the truck and the advice from Shotgun about the use of one Rod will be a hard but needed pill to swallow. Lol.

Good fishin'

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Heal fast Ryan and take care of it with lots of ICE !
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:08 PM »
I had a pretty good headache the next morning after ice fishing all day..   ::)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:22 PM »
Did you catch that little green man that used take a dookie in my mouth after a long night of ice fishing and waking up with that headache? Lol.

I just added insult to my own injury and fell down a flight of stairs trying to get to the washroom.

Wasn't wven funny to watch I bet. Lol.

Ah, at least I'm still "green side up".

Good fishin'

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:39 PM »
Alcohol poisoning  :roflmao: :sick: :roflmao: :sick: Real bad hangover but I managed to survive.  ;D

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Sorry to hear of your mishap Ryan, just went through that with my son breaking his ankle, not fun at all. On the good side, arse on one pail, foot up on the other, 2 T3's, a jigging rod in one hand schnapps in the other and a dead stick in reach, and you my friend are on the plus side of healing and enjoying at the same time. My worse was a near severing of my thumb while filleting a pike for  supper on a remote overnighter. Too many red solo cups made me careless, the only first aid I could administer was paper towel and duct tape ( and a few more red solo cups). Get better soon my friend! I'm off til the 5th of Jan if you want to go out and I'll certainly help make your day easy. Hell, I'll even run for your tip ups,lol
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Sorry to hear of your mishap Ryan, just went through that with my son breaking his ankle, not fun at all. On the good side, arse on one pail, foot up on the other, 2 T3's, a jigging rod in one hand schnapps in the other and a dead stick in reach, and you my friend are on the plus side of healing and enjoying at the same time. My worse was a near severing of my thumb while filleting a pike for  supper on a remote overnighter. Too many red solo cups made me careless, the only first aid I could administer was paper towel and duct tape ( and a few more red solo cups). Get better soon my friend! I'm off til the 5th of Jan if you want to go out and I'll certainly help make your day easy. Hell, I'll even run for your tip ups,lol

Lol. I'll see what I can manage and be in touch.

I keep telling the wife "it's so much better today". Truth or not. Lol. I gotta be out there on the ice! Lol.

Thanks for the kind words and good luck out there #1Fisherman.

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:10 PM »
Friend I was fishing with had a stroke while ice fishing.

He made it through ok!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Thank goodness. I never thought of anything like that.

Good fishin'!

Offline clayton

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't Litter Or I'll Know Where You Fish
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:12 PM »
Busted a gut when my buddy stepped into his double hole and went in with one leg up to his balls.

Don't Litter Or I'll Know Where You Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2014, 02:00 AM »
Hate to say. I've stepped into a few "truck fishin'" 10" holes.

To many to say. Lol. It gets late. A few beer, you hop out the truck for a flag, SPLOOSH!

Lol.

Good fishin'!

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2014, 02:07 AM »
Busted a gut when my buddy stepped into his double hole and went in with one leg up to his balls.

:roflmao: That is freaking hilarious!!! That would be a Kodak moment right there!  ;)
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2014, 03:06 AM »
A burn from hot cocoa haha
And so it begins........

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2014, 05:51 AM »
I've had a couple of times where I burnt some hairs lighting the heater in my old spear shack.
Sprained my wrist loading gear in my truck to leave the lake. Hit it on the tongue of my snowmobile trailer.
It hurt like heck for a few days and swelled up pretty good.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2014, 05:56 AM »
Carried a young boy off the ice that cut his big toe off after hitting a hand auger blade walking past. Always put your cover back on for safety. Good thing my best friend was a medical doctor at the time.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2014, 11:01 AM »
Dang. Some real rough injuries out there.

Thanks for sharing.

Good fishin'!

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2014, 12:18 PM »
I've dropped in too many times through a ten inch hole sold it and went back to an eight. Once was exactly at 4:20 and the other just not looking down while walking. I think back and shutter that I didn't snap my leg in two or end up stuck there, if you were alone what the heck would you do?
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2014, 12:26 PM »
When I first started ice fishing I got a new mora hand auger and on the first day with it I was walking with the auger swinging on my side, kind of like a walking stick... and the blade hit my foot. It sliced right through my shoe and gave me a nice laceration about 3 inches long. I left a blood trail on the ice, I'm sure that creeped someone out! Be careful with those hand auger blades...

Offline Mike_W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2014, 10:58 AM »
My two worst were one year I was fishing whites in a old hard bottomed tent and forgot my heater so turned the coleman stove on. Had it behind me and was sitting on two stavked milk crates ... well I went to do something and the milk crates shifted and shot forward causeing me to fall back because I tried to sit forward this meant my shirt pulled up enough to expose my lower back just enough to get an instant brand on the red hot glowing stove.

Next one was a year similar to this with no snow cover went to jump out of the truck and my feet shot out from under me falling straight back and the first point of contact was the back of my head on the bottom of the door frame.
I dont think I was knocked out although I did stay down for a few min no cut and one heck of a bruise ....lookied like a tennis ball was under my skin.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2014, 02:44 PM »
Dang. Those are some real good'ers.

Thanks for sharing guys.

A header is something I hope never to encounter out there.

I've not been the best lil boy, Santa and my wife are having to give me a hard time about being on my ankle.

Oh, humbug.

Good fishin'!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2014, 02:53 PM »
The most serious injury I have ever suffered while icefishing,has been to my pride. those fish sure can humble a guy in short order !!!

HIMO
                                                                                                                Iceshanty Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.