Author Topic: Your go to Set up  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Your go to Set up
« on: Oct 27, 2012, 02:42 PM »
I was wondering what your go to setup was? You know the 1st pole you grab every time you go fishing? Like rod, reel, line, and jig?

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Your go to Set up
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2012, 03:18 PM »
Probably the new stuff, not my top guns ;) once i figure them out, then I put it on them!
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline mcsquinty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2012, 03:18 PM »
St. Croix ultralight with pfluger medalist fly reel, 2lb micro ice line. Awesome, twist free setup.

Offline mcsquinty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2012, 03:20 PM »
Hexi fly, firty girty or nuclear ant are the first jigs to go down

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2012, 05:50 PM »
Depends on the water depth.  Often I will start with a slender spoon or little cecil fishing multi species, trying to catch active fish.  If I start catching / missing gills, I will go to a green / chartuese demon.  In deeper water, I wil go to a tungsten jig.  If the bite is real tough, I will use a marmooska.  This year I want to try glow jigs much more as a go to option.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2012, 05:59 PM »
if I'm targeting perch I always start off with my 28" light action gsx rod with a pflueger president reel, I run 4lb fireline micro ice with a 3lb flouro leader. I like to start off the smallest size buckshot rattle spoon and a minnow head to find active fish.

Edit: just realized this is in the blue gill section. For gills I run a 24in ultralight with 3lb mono. I like 3mm tungsten jigs with a waxy or spikes.

Offline jrtbaits

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • wishin' i was fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2012, 06:21 PM »
24" st. croix legend UL and a pfluger president micro spooled with 2lb p-line floro-clear and a size 10 glow caty jig for under 15fow
24" bro series UL and another pfluger president micro spooled with 8lb power pro ice braid and a size 8 ladybug colored mud bug for over 15fow

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2012, 07:30 AM »
For me, it's a Thorne Bros Quiverstick with a Shimano Sedona 500, spooled with 2# Nanofil. At the end of the line is a tiny swivel, a 2-foot leader of 2# florocarbon, and finally a small orange or yellow tungsten jig.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2012, 04:38 PM »
Thorne bros 24" quiver stick with recoils, okuma slv 2/3, asso heavy brown 3#, hand painted marmooska.

]

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2012, 08:53 PM »
Mine is a 26 inch frabill quick tip with a l.l. bean quest fly reel running 3lb trilene and a gold #12 diamond jig.

If fish are finicky I'll use my marmish rod with a #16 diamond jig in fire tiger.
"Got me a marlin!"

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:08 AM »
2# fluoro at most, #14 tungsten jig with plastic, but will go lighter and smaller. Small and dark usually will open the closed/curious mouths. Rod/Reel combos are fairly irrelevant on 'Gills, a Schooley, dowel rod or Willow switch will work. Putting something small, presented properly and in their face catches fish, what you have above the ice doesn't matter much to the fish unless you're noisy

Offline DaveW731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2012, 12:11 PM »
2# fluoro at most, #14 tungsten jig with plastic, but will go lighter and smaller. Small and dark usually will open the closed/curious mouths. Rod/Reel combos are fairly irrelevant on 'Gills, a Schooley, dowel rod or Willow switch will work. Putting something small, presented properly and in their face catches fish, what you have above the ice doesn't matter much to the fish unless you're noisy
I basically agree, except that it is simply more fun to fish if you really like your equipment.  My go-to is a 40" pole I made myself from the top end of a 5-weight fenwick graphite flyrod blank, 2# high-vis line (usually with 2' of 2# flouro leader) and a 12 or 14 size hot pink rocker-style teardrop, tipped with a couple maggots.
"There is no failure, except in no longer trying"

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2012, 10:46 PM »
Klondike 27" light action rod; Shimano 500 spinning reel; 5.7 lb test HT ice black line, and usually a frostee jigging spoon or a northland forage minnow with a glow rat finkee on a dropper.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2012, 12:29 AM »
24" Jason Mitchell meat stick, 2lb hi vis yellow line and a gold fairy jig
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline ICatchLilFishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • >))))> Keep your poles on the ice!!! <((((<
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2012, 05:02 PM »
UL rod, st croix spring bobber, 3lb florocarbon, gold fiska, and impulse plastics.
  “Bring It”

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2012, 07:29 PM »
UL rod,Shakespeare Ul reel, vicious 3 lb line, teardrop size 10 or 12 tipped with spikes
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline tonstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2012, 07:31 PM »
TB Quiverstick with willow leaf crappie jig, and a gander mountian professional reel. Like this>>

Offline Itinerant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2012, 09:56 PM »
Thorne Bros. Panfish Sweetheart (28"), Tica Cetus SS 500, 2 lb. Micro Ice and a 3mm Clown pattern tungsten Fiskas jig.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.