The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Long Sought for Pond....  (Read 1090 times)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Long Sought for Pond....
« on: Mar 05, 2010, 10:12 AM »
Any updates on the condition of the ice (or lack of ice)?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Long Sought for Pond....
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2010, 10:15 AM »
I'm planning on checking it today in case I need a plan b for tomorow. It was a little hairy a week ago, though. I'm not too hopeful about it.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2010, 10:26 AM »
In the past few years I've found that the western shores will hold safer ice longer, but that was then and this is now. I know we've had years where the eastern half of the pond was open and the western shore still had 6 inches going out alsmost 50 yards from shore.

The first issue will be shoreline condition.
If you can't get out on the ice, how thick it is isn't important.

Let us know what you find.
Thanx.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2010, 10:35 AM »
yeah, I don't have any connections to get any access other than the FBA launch right on 40, but things around here have been skimming over at night so it might be good.

The other problem would be the high in the fifties here tomorrow. Sketchy shores in the morning can easily turn into wet feet or worse in the afternoon...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2010, 12:57 PM »
I'm looking into putting together a portable plank/ramp using 2x2's and 1x12.
My key is to look for the shallow water point for access, that way if the ice should give way, you can limit just how wet you might get.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2010, 01:05 PM »
Any updates on the condition of the ice (or lack of ice)?
My buddy is going down there today to check it out. I'll send information when I hear from him.

smitty :tipup:

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2010, 01:48 PM »
The three guys standing out there seemed pretty confident that it was safe when I went there.  The edges looked a little melted out, but it'd be easy enough to step out onto the ice from shore, just don't go straight down to the water from the road, take a right.

Didn't measure the ice, though.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2010, 05:10 PM »
Ice looked OK be careful around the shore.

smitty :tipup:

Offline drl823

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2010, 06:37 PM »
The three guys standing out there seemed pretty confident that it was safe when I went there.  The edges looked a little melted out, but it'd be easy enough to step out onto the ice from shore, just don't go straight down to the water from the road, take a right.

Didn't measure the ice, though.

Be careful out there Scott....got my gear in storage now

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2010, 06:44 PM »
Be careful out there Scott....got my gear in storage now

I'm fishing the places I actually checked the ice.  I'm not interested in swimming in the summer, let alone now!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2010, 11:05 AM »
I hit the pond both days.
I DID require a plank to get out on the ice, but there was solid enough ice close enough to shore to make it easy to get on the ice.
Once out, I found 6" of material, 5 of solid, 1 of frozen (for the time being) slush.
Sunday had 1 inch less on both sides, top and bottom.
I was able to get out at least 50" from shore on Saturday, but since I didn't have any luck out that far, I didn't try out that far yesterday.
I did manage 2 trout on Satuirday and one yesterday. I did lose one to a poor hookset, but that was MY fault.
The best part was that I only had worms for bait, and used jigs to break up the monotony.
First trout was on a red/white mini tube on a crappie jig. The next 2 were on worms.
I love the fact that the trout are cruising just under the ice, so most times you can see them hitting the jig.
One of the holes was in about 4-5 feet of water, over a sandy/rocky bottom.The sun lit up the bottom almost as if there were no ice at all. I could SEE the trout come cruising by, and jig accordingly.
My funniest moment was when I tried jigging a gold spoon (bent fish shaped lure) and after jigging a few times a trout comes rocketing past, just missing the lure. I picjed up the spoon again and repeated the process, not realizing that the trout hadn't left the immediate area, and I proceeded to BONK the fish on the head...LITERALLY. Someone hearing me laugh would've thought I was losing my mind, laughing at a hole in the ice.

Sadly, the ice on this pond probably won't last the week.
Oh well, let's bring on the open water trout and then the spring striper/shad season!

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2010, 11:09 AM »

Sadly, the ice on this pond probably won't last the week.

It's no good on the route 40 side.  Checked it this morning, there was almost an inch of slush, then an inch and a half of clear ice.  It might be thicker out deeper, but that water's too cold for me to try it.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2010, 12:22 PM »
I put together a plank, a 1"x10"x8' with 2x2 supports. If I didn't bring it, I would never had gotten out where I did. The ice should've been thicker the further out you go, but without a way of getting out there you would be shorebound. I found 5 inches of ice Sat 3-4' from shore, but that will definitely be a lot less as the week progresses. I would expect the pond to open up by the weekend. (Then we get to deal with more rain.) 

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2010, 12:26 PM »
Yeah, planking out 8 feet when it's going to be in the fifties, and has been, isn't my idea of a good time.  I know another spot nearby that I think is still safe, and if it's not I'll wait until I can chuck the kayak in.

Life jacket and change of clothes or not, that water's COLD!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2010, 10:49 AM »
Yeah, I don't EVER plan on getting dunked during the winter.
My key is that I won't press my luck and try for a spot that should be avoided (because of unsafe ice).
With this weeks temps, kayaking isn't that far away.
In the interim, there's always stream fishing for trout, provided the stream isn't too high.
Nothing bites more than heading out to your trout stream/river and finding it flooded from prior rainstorms.
Luckily I have a few local waterways that have produced in the past, and are easily accessible right now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.