The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Ice at Spy Pond?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline MassIce14

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice at Spy Pond?
« on: Feb 27, 2010, 03:18 PM »
The guy at Arlington Bait said some people went out on Spy today. Any truth to that? How is the ice?

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice at Spy Pond?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2010, 10:16 PM »
were they in boats?

Offline redbandit850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2010, 09:46 AM »
I went to spy in the morning but did not fish.  Ice looked ok but I did not go out on it.  Im planning on going back today.

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2010, 12:21 PM »
I saw three guys on it this morning while driving on Route 2. They were very close together so I'm thinking theres still some good ice left.

Offline MassIce14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2010, 12:37 PM »
I was on Spy today with a friend. 4-6 in. (mostly 6 in.) of solid ice. You have to get on near the private park close to route 2. Slow day, 4 flags, 1 perch, 1 bass.

Had an interesting experience with an old lady yelling at me from across the lake. I think she thought I was trying to commit suicide because she told me that there were people on this earth that loved me and I didn't need to do it. Then she asked if I was on a boat, and I told her yes I was on a boat. Then the threatened to call the police/fire department. After about 10 min of trying to tell her everything was ok, I finally just ignored her and she left. It was probably the most frustrating experience i've ever had.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:02 PM »
Darn do-gooders!  Can't even let a guy commit suicide in peace!  ;)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2010, 11:31 AM »
I had a similar experience about 3 years back around Christmas out on Buckmaster Pond in Westwood.
Although there was 7 inches of good ice, the rain we had the day before was pooled up on the surface, making the pond look like it was open water. The Police came by and told me that someone had called about me, not knowing that the ice was safe.
I explained to the officer that I had checked the ice on the way out (from very shallow water for MY peace of mind) and that the ice was safe. I demonstrated this by jumping up and down, stomping my feet and saying "If it wasn't safe, I wouldn't be doing this!"

He say, OK, and went on his way.
I still laugh about that to this day!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline redbandit850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2010, 10:49 AM »
Anybody been out there this week?  Id like to hit it one last time on saturday.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2010, 10:53 AM »
Anybody been out there this week?  Id like to hit it one last time on saturday.

I stood next to it last weekend.  Everything I saw you'd need some serious planking to get on, but I was only on the side with the park and playground and the boat ramp near the YMCA or whatever it is. I wouldn't drive too far to get there this weekend...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline MassIce14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2010, 12:09 PM »
There is a playground over in a private neighborhood near rt 2. Thats where I was able to get on. But it's been pretty warm since Sunday, and I wouldn't think that the ice is good anymore.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2010, 02:12 PM »
Since the pond is not spring fed, the ice "should" be uniform once you get away from the shoreline erosion-influence.
Most ponds may still have solid ice, but will have a slush cover that might make it a wet trip.
If you were able to get on the ice from the shore SAFELY, then it may still be fishable.
I would advise, if you are set on trying there, on bringing a plank (just to make sure that you will be able to get to solid ice.
Also bring you picks, and pack extra clothes and a blanket in you vehicle just in case.
Let someone know where you are going!

I was fishing Buckmaster in Westwood last Sunday, and had to plank out. The ice was a solid 8 inches out on the pond.
The only thing that will have changed drastically since then would be the weaker ice near shore.
It hasn't been real sunny, or REAL warm, so the main ice may have decreased by an inch or so.
Also keep in mind that the rain from last week raised the water levels in almost every body of water in the northeast. That means that the ice on the pond is floating higher, making the shore the first place to feel the effect.

The bottom line is play it safe and don't take uneccessary risks!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2010, 04:48 PM »
it was warm on monday and it will be fifty on saturday.....not worth it.....u want to fish the ice next year right :icefish:
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline Icewarrior

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2010, 04:54 PM »
heard someone got a nice tiget musky outta there this year anyone else hear of that??? anyone else ever caught one there???

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2010, 04:58 PM »
i had a tiger hit my lure right at the boat last year big one too its a shame there stopping that stocking program

catch pike like its my job

Offline sull155

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2010, 05:57 PM »
someone got a 16lb 7oz tiger muskie out of spy pond this season through the ice, there's a pic of it at arlington bait and tackle and i think it was mentioned on another thread

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2010, 06:57 AM »
heard someone got a nice tiget musky outta there this year anyone else hear of that??? anyone else ever caught one there???

I talked with someone last week that was there when the fish was caught and got a good look at it, he told me the fish was 40in and 16lbs like mentioned above but that the fish was in awful shape.  He told me there was a white growth on the lower jaw and that the fish's eyes were crossed and sickly looking

Offline Icewarrior

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2010, 10:49 AM »
thats too bad so theres probably not an abundant population in there huh?

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2010, 07:44 PM »
NOT MANY LEFT....
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.