Author Topic: Gloves  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
Gloves
« on: Jan 22, 2017, 04:17 PM »
Hey guys I'm looking for a warm pair of gloves that I can wear all day and handle fish without getting wet. Maybe something with slit for my fingers so I can retie if I need to. Any suggestions?
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gloves
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Gloves are hard. I normally use a flip up mitten style.  They work great until that Velcro gets froze up and the mitten part goes under water.  Other than that they are good

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2017, 06:14 PM »
I use fingerless rag-wool gloves. Worked pretty well handling over 60+ gills a few weekends ago.

With gloves there will usually always be some sort of trade off. Comfort for dexterity. Dexterity for warmth. Handling fish all day and staying dry are two things that just don't go together. I'm sure people will suggest great water resistant gloves but I doubt any of them will have finger slots and the ones that do will most likely be wool. More trade offs.

Having several pairs for different situations is a good habit to get into. I'd like to get a pair of regular rag-wool gloves for setup, drilling holes, setting tipups, etc. and then use my fingerless for when I'm actually jigging so I have my finger tips to tie jigs and whatnot. Works well for today's technology also (touchscreen devices) since you don't have to take off your gloves.

Their about $10-$15 a pair and worth having 1-2 in both styles, IMO.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:35 PM »
I use fingerless ragg wool gloves that I got at REI.  When it is really cold, I wear heavy ski mittens over them.  I just pull the mittens off when I'm baiting hooks or handling tip ups or fish.  my wife gave me these Clam Ice Armor gloves for Christmas that I really like.  The only thing is, they don't keep your hands very warm when wet.

Online SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:57 PM »
Might find some info in this section !!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=34.0

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:22 PM »
I use polypropylene glove liners when ice angling. Keep 3 pair with me. They dry fast. Cycle through them during the day. By the time the 3rd pair is damp the 1st is dry again.

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:44 PM »
 Striker Ice Climate Glove best I've worn for ice fishing. Keep my hands warm when temps down to single digits. Submersible, I have not had water penetrate them when reaching in hole/water to pull fish out. Not so bulky that they can be worn continuously (except when tying on an ice fly putting bait on a hook). Cuffs extend up over forearms 7" covering cuff/sleeves of float suit without being restrictive. I had severe frostbite several years past and it has been a grievous task trying to keep my hands warm and dry so they don't get to hurting. The owner of the local tackle shop (Pro Tackle Outfitters) turned me on to them they have been one of the best investments I've made for cold weather fishing.

Offline GBR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:39 AM »
I have never found the perfect glove. All styles have drawbacks. The last two years I have been using a Cabela's Guide Gear flip over mitten. The palm is kind of rubberized so it will keep fish slime from soaking in, but they aren't really waterproof. The only complaint I have about them is the stitching on the flip part started coming out the first time I used them, I had to re-sew the thing back on.

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:22 AM »
I've been wearing frabill task gloves the last two seasons. Completely water resistant, have had the outsides frozen solid and still warm/dry on the inside. Only complaint is the velcro cuffs sometimes come loose.
"Yeah, well, listen Dr. D*pcrap - you've obviously never been ice fishing before.
No, I haven't.
Well it's f*cking exhilarating."
-Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:55 AM »
I just ordered these today. I like the flip up mitten golves. My current pair soak up water and are getting pretty tattered.

These ones have snaps instead of velco. I hate velcro on gloves. I would prefer magnets but I haven't been able to find any.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=78645266
jbird68

Offline dlantz1284

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:45 PM »
Simms exstream fold over mittens are the best gloves I have ever owned for ice fishing and early/late trout fishing by far. I handle fish, lures, bait all day and if my finger tips ever get cold I just fold the mitten back over and hands warm up quick. Dry quickly and don't really bother me when they are wet. Live in PA so maybe not something for a more northern ice fisherman, but took them out when it was -4 last season and they were good. Highly recommend

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:59 PM »
This topic was discussed on another website. The general consensus is that a good pair of mittens, (I prefer military surplus), and wool or rag wool gloves inside is the way to go to keep your hands warm. I like the surplus wool liner gloves, they are inexpensive and wool will still insulate when wet. My 2-cents.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2017, 03:04 AM »
Simms exstream fold over mittens are the best gloves I have ever owned for ice fishing and early/late trout fishing by far. I handle fish, lures, bait all day and if my finger tips ever get cold I just fold the mitten back over and hands warm up quick. Dry quickly and don't really bother me when they are wet. Live in PA so maybe not something for a more northern ice fisherman, but took them out when it was -4 last season and they were good. Highly recommend

Yep me too. Double duty for ice fishing and late/early season steelhead with the spey rod.

J-

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:26 PM »
The best gloves I found are made from Gore-Tex Windstopper fleece. Several companies make them, I wear OR Gripper gloves for ice fishing. For most other winter activities I wear Mountain Hardware Gravity Gloves. Both are made from the same fabric. The Gravity gloves have a leather palm which is good for durability but not so good when it's wet. The ORs have a silicone palm which is better when wet but not as durable as leather. These gloves are thin enough that I can tie my boots while wearing them and the Windstopper fleece is warm enough to keep my fingers comfortable in any temperatures I'll ever see in Maine. The only down side is the price, around $50/pair. The Gore-Tex membrane is waterproof and breathable but they get wet when you reach down the hole to grab a fish. Nothing short of rubbers glove with long gauntlets will keep your hands dry in that situation. The OR gloves dry very quick. The leather palms on the gravity gloves stays wet. I think you'll find the same thing with any brand. If there's no leather or natural materials they will dry quick. Natural fibers and leather dry much slower.

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2017, 05:23 PM »
I have never been real happy with glove choices, but I may have just found a pretty good solution. I picked up a pair of Polar Penguin #3396 by Majestic. They have a rubber facing, are very flexible, and I can pull them off with my teeth in a hurry if I need to. I bought mine at Dick Smith's in Delevan, WI. I wear size large. I wanted a pair in size small for my wife and went on line. Once there I found out these are usually sold as work gloves and are very inexpensive if bought in quantity.
I ordered 21 pr. in size small and large from National Safety Inc. for $75.18 with free shipping.
I can say that I can handle fish yet keep my hands dry and warm.
I saw some on E-Bay, but if you buy a pair just to try them the cost of shipping is more than the gloves.

Duke

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2017, 12:41 PM »
I got a pair of sealskinz for xmas a couple years back & like them. Clam also makes a pair similar; http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/dry-skinz-gloves.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.