Author Topic: Other IL message boards?  (Read 2400 times)

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Other IL message boards?
« on: Dec 15, 2008, 10:21 PM »
Do any of you use other IL ice fishing message boards?  There really isn't much action on the IL forum here on the shanty, back in IN you don't need any other boards as there are literally a couple hundred people that post frequently, so you sometimes can't even keep up with the message boards.

I have found:

windycityfishing.com and chicagoland.com

Both have me register and then supposedly get activated by an administrator, which I am still waiting on days later.  Have any of you had long delays in getting activated on these boards?

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Other IL message boards?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2008, 10:23 PM »
Theres also Chi-town. Registered there, but dont go to them much anymore.

Offline fishingfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live and Work to Fish
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2008, 07:08 AM »
I am registered on chicagoland.com but find that this board has more folks willing to share about safe ice and fishing knowledge. I stopped going there last year and joined here when I asked about safe ice at Shabonna and was told that if I did not know the difference I should not be on the ice. I was just trying to save driving 1.5 hours if the ice was not safe. I also fish in NW Indiana as I live in the So Suburbs and have found this site more pleasurably to view. :laugh: :tipup:

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:18 AM »
i have found that ice shanty and lake-link have about the most friendly and informative people  ;D
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline jdisci

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The snack that smiles back, goldfish"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:45 AM »
I'm registered on all of the above but Iceshanty is my favorite for the people, info,and camraderie on here.

"Like minnows in a bucket..."
Joe

Offline iceman79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2008, 11:35 AM »
try angling101 guys are friendly and very helpful. :)

Offline iceye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2008, 11:41 AM »
 ::) :cookoo:
jeffster

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 11:54 AM »
I am mostly at lake-link or here. A new one popped up. Its huntandfishfinders.com .
jbird68

Offline jdisci

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The snack that smiles back, goldfish"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2008, 11:56 AM »
I can see this thread getting deleted soon ::)

"Like minnows in a bucket..."
Joe

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2008, 06:12 PM »
I have found other sites before I found IS.  They were full of guys posting false information all the time.  I never have a problem on here at all, & the features of this site are very user friendly.  I know there are not a bunch of guys that post here from IL as compared to IN, but you need to remember that in the NW burbs, there are not as many hill-jacks as we had back in good ol' IN that get on the hard water!

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:52 PM »
I have found other sites before I found IS.  They were full of guys posting false information all the time.  I never have a problem on here at all, & the features of this site are very user friendly.  I know there are not a bunch of guys that post here from IL as compared to IN, but you need to remember that in the NW burbs, there are not as many hill-jacks as we had back in good ol' IN that get on the hard water!

You know I think you are onto something there.  Come to think of it other than on here nobody I have talked to up here ice fishes, even my neighbor was so intrigued about the whole ice fishing thing when he saw me come home with fish.  The one thing that I do like most about up here is that you rarely ever see or hear anything about nascar.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:50 AM »
I guess it depends what your looking for in a site. Information on a new lake? Unless you KNOW the person your getting the information from, your probably getting some incorrect information. Even though YOU are asking the question we all know there are MANY more eyes reading the information.

If you looking for basic Ice conditions before making an excursion... I would like to think people wouldn't lie about that, but if they say its unsafe ice it could also be to keep people off.

If your looking for fishing partners, then yeah I can see going looking for more active boards, but just remember, just cuz someone says they will fish with you, doesn't mean you want to fish with them.

My mom always said you can only believe half of what you read. Probably closer to only 10% if your reading about fishing on the internet.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2008, 11:26 AM »
You know I think you are onto something there.  Come to think of it other than on here nobody I have talked to up here ice fishes, even my neighbor was so intrigued about the whole ice fishing thing when he saw me come home with fish.  The one thing that I do like most about up here is that you rarely ever see or hear anything about nascar.

Well, there is tons of NASCAR stuff around the chain.  The question I get the most around here is "Isn't it cold?"  Really, it's hot on ice, idiots! ;D

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2008, 11:41 AM »
Yeah NASCAR is really big up here. Not my thing but lots of fans up here.

It's funny how even people you consider to be pretty intelligent, when you mention ice fishing it seems their brains go limp.

Offline Tricounty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2008, 11:51 AM »
I started to talk to a guy about ice fishing with my new fish trap and he said he didn't know I drank that much.
 ;D
Looks like Chuck is taking the skinny boat to tuna town. "Pops"

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:43 PM »
So he was in right?

Offline flounderhead59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:26 PM »
I pretty much check on Chi-Town and this site.  Am a member of Chicagolandfishing but that site leaves me cold somewhat.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:52 AM »
I pretty much check on Chi-Town and this site.  Am a member of Chicagolandfishing but that site leaves me cold somewhat.
That's why I stopped going to it @ all.  Bunk info, & a bunch of guys that think they are pros!  I've met a whole different quality of fisherman on this site.  Not to say that the occasional bag of shame & disgrace (I'm putting that as PC as I can) isn't on here also, just far less than any other site I've been on.

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2008, 07:53 AM »
Main reason I come to the forums is to see ice conditions, and product reports maybe a goofy story or 2.

Lately all I've been doing is eliminating unproductive waters. Hardest problem I'm finding is when you were on the area in spring, you knew where the weeds were about, I come out to try the are and theres not a weed to be found. The chain really changes from summer to winter. Place we went yesterday had a distinct weedline at 8', so we set up in 10-12' no cruisers, move in tighter to 8' nothing, and no weeds, move closer still no weeds. Really odd.

I personally hate following the crowd, so we try to find places away from the riffraff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.