New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 221080 times)

Offline Adkhunter1590

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #750 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Little sacandaga has 7-8 inches of ice. Skating rink is open on it. Not sure about the big lake though. Supposed to go up there Jan 12th weekend to fish with some buddies if there’s enough ice. Fingers crossed for good ice. We will be launching on the west side of Sinclair point. I have family that lives there so it’s a easy access point for me.

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #751 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:10 AM »
Little sacandaga has 7-8 inches of ice.

You are referring to Sacandaga Lake in Speculator, NY?
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline Adkhunter1590

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #752 on: Dec 27, 2018, 06:42 PM »
You are referring to Sacandaga Lake in Speculator, NY?

I was referring to the little northville lake. Some people call it the little sac.  Saw pics of kids skating on it early this morning.

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #753 on: Dec 28, 2018, 08:48 AM »
I believe he is talking about Great Sacandaga Lake
because he mentioned Sinclair Pt. Unless there is a Sinclair Pt. up in Speculator too.

Offline Jawjacker420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #754 on: Dec 30, 2018, 04:52 AM »
Anyone hitting the dead sea today?  Gonna go up and check ice on Lakeside Dr. In Mayfield in a little while :tipup:
"The Green Hornet strikes again"

Offline BGIII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bill Gallagher
« Reply #755 on: Dec 30, 2018, 12:08 PM »
What’s up guys I’m in the process of trying to plan a little trip with my brothers and cousins up to Great Sacandaga for some ice fishing this winter and we’re trying to pick a weekend. I’m hoping you guys can give me some info. How is the ice fishing in the first couple weeks of March up there, and is there still enough ice during that time?
It’s butt cold out here and I’m fresh out of beer

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #756 on: Dec 30, 2018, 12:40 PM »
My bud tried to get on ice there and couldnt yesterday.

Offline Mtnd777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #757 on: Dec 30, 2018, 01:53 PM »
What’s up guys I’m in the process of trying to plan a little trip with my brothers and cousins up to Great Sacandaga for some ice fishing this winter and we’re trying to pick a weekend. I’m hoping you guys can give me some info. How is the ice fishing in the first couple weeks of March up there, and is there still enough ice during that time?

Its gonna be hard to tell this far in advance because the weather can be pretty unpredictable but I would think February would be a safer bet

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #758 on: Dec 30, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Anyone fish today? Wondering about the edges...

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #759 on: Dec 31, 2018, 09:04 AM »

There is a tourney each year, the first weekend. Search for Fuel & Food Sunco, Mayfield, NY. Go to Contests. All the info is there.

Offline jmirabs31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #760 on: Dec 31, 2018, 01:20 PM »
I was told there was someone fishing by the Northampton campground yesterday. I hope to get up there this week and check the ice.

Offline SouthernIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #761 on: Jan 02, 2019, 03:55 PM »
I know it is called the Dead Sea but it is worth trying for perch? Does anyone have any tips on what works best?

I have done a weekend ice fishing the past 5 years and outside of 36” pike in Year 2 we have struck out.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Offline swillerjigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #762 on: Jan 03, 2019, 11:45 AM »
So when are the derbys? so we dont come up then lol

Offline Iceman12020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #763 on: Jan 03, 2019, 12:06 PM »
So when are the derbys? so we dont come up then lol

Just check the Food and Fuel sites.. they will have all the information regarding the big tourney's....

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #764 on: Jan 03, 2019, 12:07 PM »
Lol it’s a mess on the lake when they have the derby’s

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #765 on: Jan 03, 2019, 01:26 PM »
I know it is called the Dead Sea but it is worth trying for perch? Does anyone have any tips on what works best?

I have done a weekend ice fishing the past 5 years and outside of 36” pike in Year 2 we have struck out.

Any tips would be appreciated!

The people who call it the Dead Sea just don't take the time to get to know the lake. I have been fishing that lake for 55 years. I am rarely skunked. I do better in open water than ice, but I still have fish in the freezer. For perch, small shiners on red hooks with tip-ups. I like to hook the bait in the tail. Place anywhere in the water column. Electronics do help locate them. I also use "Gulp" scent. Pike, the largest shiners you can get, we have caught decent pike in 3-15 fow. Walleye, medium shiners, 2-3 ft. off of the bottom. The southern part of the lake is best for ice season.  The northern part for open water. Good luck!

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #766 on: Jan 03, 2019, 01:39 PM »
The people who call it the Dead Sea just don't take the time to get to know the lake. I have been fishing that lake for 55 years. I am rarely skunked. I do better in open water than ice, but I still have fish in the freezer. For perch, small shiners on red hooks with tip-ups. I like to hook the bait in the tail. Place anywhere in the water column. Electronics do help locate them. I also use "Gulp" scent. Pike, the largest shiners you can get, we have caught decent pike in 3-15 fow. Walleye, medium shiners, 2-3 ft. off of the bottom. The southern part of the lake is best for ice season.  The northern part for open water. Good luck!

And by the northern part of the lake, I DON'T mean Northville. I mean Edinburgh and north to the dam. Too many people I have talked to think Northville is the north end of the lake. Not by a LONG shot!

Offline Hardwaterlipn147

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #767 on: Jan 05, 2019, 09:34 AM »
agreed with newbie53 sacandaga is a great fishery! ive fished it for years , ive proved to two of my buddy's that called it the dead see that its good fishing. people need to learn patience and find what the fish want. maybe do some research in the summer to find structure for winter . put the work in it will pay off !!!!  :tipup: ::) @)
weekend hooker!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #768 on: Jan 05, 2019, 04:37 PM »
Sacandaga is a great fishery... and fun.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #769 on: Jan 05, 2019, 05:28 PM »
Yeah it holds some nice fish. I dock my boat on the gsl for the summer.  I catch eyes, pike , gills and sm bass off the dock all the time. Smallmouth around the islands . Last year I have seen more fish then ever. The water was super clear. Huge schools of gills and huge schools of sm bass.

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #770 on: Jan 06, 2019, 05:47 AM »
right now the lake is a mess. It's 17 ft. above normal level. By Tues. Hudson river regulatory says it will be at max. level. yet they won't increase the flow rate. because of effects down stream ( Hudson river) It's flooded up into peoples yards right now it makes the edges unsafe. be careful if you go out

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #771 on: Jan 06, 2019, 06:48 AM »
right now the lake is a mess. It's 17 ft. above normal level. By Tues. Hudson river regulatory says it will be at max. level. yet they won't increase the flow rate. because of effects down stream ( Hudson river) It's flooded up into peoples yards right now it makes the edges unsafe. be careful if you go out

Snelly you are pretty close. Normal Jan. 1st level is 753 above sea level. This morning it is at 766.5. Most years in May it is at 768. The river out front isn't flowing much so water coming in has slowed. Going to be a lot of docks with damage this Spring. Not sure how the high water will effect the ice fishing this year. Going to be a lot of water for the fish to spread out into instead of deep holes and the river channel. Many areas the shoreline is a mess will only get worst as the water drops. They better get it down before spring run-offs or I will be tying to boat to the deck. Have a good one...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Jlay_upstateny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #772 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:19 PM »
Any info on ice conditions north of batchelerville bridge? I know the lake is really high, wondering about the shorelines and access...
Hunting trouts.

Offline Hardwaterlipn147

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #773 on: Jan 10, 2019, 07:07 AM »
would also like to know ice condition for north end (Edinburgh) thank you in advanced.
weekend hooker!

Offline Iceman12020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #774 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:21 PM »
Out this evening from Wally's.. 6 inches of black ice.

Offline countryrebel127

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #775 on: Jan 10, 2019, 07:14 PM »
iceman were you in the blue clam out towards beacon?

Offline Iceman12020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #776 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:37 AM »
iceman were you in the blue clam out towards beacon?

No we were on the opposite side in a Eskimo popup.  The berm kept us somewhat out of the wind.  Hopefully getting the permanent shanty out this weekend

Offline Thecatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #777 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:04 AM »
how is the walleye fishing here herd it's good on the ice ?

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #778 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:00 AM »
Great to hear there's 6" of black ice at Wally's.
Does the lake normally freeze at the far south end where School Street crosses the lake?

Offline Iceman12020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #779 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:25 AM »
how is the walleye fishing here herd it's good on the ice ?

It can be good and bad... with the Lake being so high this year not sure what to expect. 

Last night we managed 3 eyes but no keepers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.