Author Topic: Leaving for Webster, SD tonight....any reports?  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Chubby Darter1

• IceShanty Rookie
Leaving for Webster, SD tonight....any reports?
« on: Jan 22, 2009, 05:42 PM »
Bunch of us around the Sioux City area are headin up to Webster tonight and fishing through Sun. Forcast looks crappy, but hey....we'll still be fishin'.  And it'll be a good time to try out my new Ice Suit.  Ya baby, that's what I'm talkin' about. Talked with our buddies up there, said there's alot o snow and ice is OK, not great, but still catchin fish.  Let me know if anybody has any updates.
We'll let you know how we did....Good fishin' to ya.

Offline duckhunter125

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Leaving for Webster, SD tonight....any reports?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2009, 05:50 PM »
I live in the Britton.  I haven't heard a good thing about any lake up here.  If you have a sled you better be bringing it.  There is a ton of snow everywhere. Waubay is full of snow.  I haven't been that far south but heard reports of poeple digging more then they are fishing.  I have almost given up on try to get on lakes with my truck.  Make sure you have stuff to dig each other out.
Dh125
Team Haviner Outdoors

Offline Chubby Darter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2009, 05:55 PM »
We're takin sleds and 4 wheelers...and shovels.
Thanks for the reply.

Offline duckhunter125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:20 PM »
Good luck then.
Team Haviner Outdoors

Offline Chubby Darter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2009, 08:21 PM »
We fished all of Friday and Saturday mostly on Pickerel. Pretty good ice. 4 Wheelers got around good. Colder than a mother tho, so stayed in houses.  Hard fishin', only a few nice eyes and very little perch. We left early Sun. but a buddy of ours stayed and fished most of Sun. and said it was awesome fishin all day. Really nice eyes and a few good size perch.  Figures....    We usually get up that way a few more times yet, before the ice goes out, so there's always next time. Fish would've been nice but, as always, it's still a good time. We have some of the best crappie ponds down here, so plan is to go for a bucket full before the game Sun.  Fried or pickeled, can't beat it.
Thanks for the tip of a new spot up there.  Will try to get there next time.
Here's to good times and good fishin'.

Offline Panic Head

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2009, 03:01 PM »
ChubbyDarter1, What lake were you catching the walleyes and perch on?  I'm taking my son out this weekend and want to give him a good ice fishing trip.

Offline Chubby Darter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:45 PM »
We fished mostly on Pickerel, but a good spot to go on Waubay is by School Bus Point. Sounds like they been catchin anything almost anywhere, the past couple of days.  Heard it's getting easier to get around on the ice this week too, but it wouldn't hurt to have a sled or 4 wheeler if you can. It was easier to get back in some those spots.  We didn't do much fishing at night, but alot of guys are gettin some really nice fish after 7 or 8 til morning, I guess. Should be a nice weekend to go, now that it's warmed up a bit.  Good luck fishing, it's always a good time.  Let me know how you and your son did.

Offline Panic Head

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:12 PM »
Thanks for the Info. I will report back on how things go.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:50 AM »
bump...

Heading up Thurs Am...looking for reports from Waubay / Pickerel / etc.

Thanks in advance....hope you had a great time....
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Panic Head

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:05 PM »
Fished Waubay Sat. 1/31/09-fished basin area from school bus point to Duck Island and caught 2 perch in 6 hrs of fishing, the morning was really slow but around 2 it pick up with perch on the camara and we caught two quick, then the NW wind came and blew 25-35 mph and me and my son got blown off the lake, so we decided to call it a day.

Offline Chubby Darter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2009, 06:09 PM »
Were you guys able to get on Pickerel? We always have pretty good luck there.  Sorry to hear about the weather....but still a good time.

Offline Panic Head

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2009, 04:51 PM »
No, we never made it over to Pickerel, but I heard they are still catching fish over there, that has been the #1 ice spot so far this season in Northeastern SD.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:11 AM »
We fished Waubay for 3 days straight...took a while to find the fish, but we ended up (on the last day of course) getting some fish for the fryer.  Nuclear perch...14.5".  And nice walleyes...\

But sloowww....very sloww...I am as patient as they come for ice fishing...even my patience was tried.  Got frustrated and turned up the heat...drill 50+ holes east of Busters starting in 16' and working east toward the islands...all the way to 23' of water.  DID NOT GRAPH A FISH IN 5 HOURS.  Wow...finally, we got on the ATV's and headed to areas without tracks all over them.  For a slow slow bite, there were people fishing everywhere.  But, as always, I love fishing Waubay...still.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Chubby Darter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2009, 09:42 PM »
Glad to hear you got some monster perch.  We always try to fish Buster's once when we're there too. And hey, I hear ya, love to fish there too.
Gonna check our ice out this weekend. Been pretty warm here this week, with rain.  But got a few cold nights now.  Hope we got a few more weekends yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.