Author Topic: Replacement bit for ion  (Read 841 times)

Offline fishingaddiction

• IceShanty Rookie
Replacement bit for ion
« on: Nov 24, 2019, 10:15 PM »
I have a gen 1 ion auger. I've never liked the way it slides around when starting a hole. It doesn't have a centering point and I asked customer service at ion about adding one - they say you can't. I'd like to upgrade to a bit with a centering point for reopening holes or drilling more precisely.

I'm pretty sure that buying an ion x bit would accomplish what I want. Does anyone know if any of the other brands bits would for the ion and do better and or be less expensive than an ion x bit?

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Replacement bit for ion
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2019, 10:42 PM »
I used to be a tool & die maker (machinist plus other skills.)  Looking at a photo of a G1 Ion it looks like it would be easy to install a centering point.

Measure the size of the hole in the end of the auger (you can use drill bits as a "plug gauge" to measure if you don't have caliper.) With luck, it is a size that can be tapped as is to install a factory centering point.

If it's too small it will have to be drilled first and then tapped. 

If it's too big I'd tap it for an appropriate size bolt and buy a hardened bolt (like a grade 8) grind the end to shape (dunk it in water while doing this so you don't over heat it or you'll take the temper out of it) cut off the head, and screw the threaded part into the auger (making sure that it's cut to length so that it tightens up with the desired amount of point exposed.)

Anyone with a tap and tap wrench, and a bench grinder or dremel tool should be able to do this.

One warning - be sure to take the blades off the auger before you do the tapping, etc. so you don't cut yourself.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2019, 10:47 PM »
I have a gen 1 ion auger. I've never liked the way it slides around when starting a hole. It doesn't have a centering point and I asked customer service at ion about adding one - they say you can't. I'd like to upgrade to a bit with a centering point for reopening holes or drilling more precisely.

I'm pretty sure that buying an ion x bit would accomplish what I want. Does anyone know if any of the other brands bits would for the ion and do better and or be less expensive than an ion x bit?

With the ion it is made for a flat shaver blade style auger. I think the Eskimo pistol this year with a center point would be a very good choice for the ion head.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2019, 04:35 AM »

Funny. I as well have a OG ion and unless I’m leaning a little with it drills straight and tru. Don’t know why people are having problems with augers wandering these past few years as soon as I went power that stopped happening. Best of luck to ya I guess
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2019, 05:36 AM »
I have thought about adding a center point to my jiffy(for drill use).  don't really need it to cut any better than it does, but I bet it couldn't wonder on you at the start.  if you don't start slow and careful I could see some nasty injuries happening!  been thinking about a nut welded under blades then make a screw in bit (flattened out, hardened and sharpened bolt head ) that comes up past the blades.  you would have to remove the blades to screw it in but it wouldn't ruin the auger if it didn't workout good. another nut on the bolt shaft to lock it down.  what ya think?  it is possible that it could kinda clog up, and not let blades bite, being such close quarters?
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2019, 07:30 AM »
I have thought about adding a center point to my jiffy(for drill use).  don't really need it to cut any better than it does, but I bet it couldn't wonder on you at the start.  if you don't start slow and careful I could see some nasty injuries happening!  been thinking about a nut welded under blades then make a screw in bit (flattened out, hardened and sharpened bolt head ) that comes up past the blades.  you would have to remove the blades to screw it in but it wouldn't ruin the auger if it didn't workout good. another nut on the bolt shaft to lock it down.  what ya think?  it is possible that it could kinda clog up, and not let blades bite, being such close quarters?

Strikemaster has a center point on the website for sale. Simply get one and take to a machine shop to have it installed/put on an auger.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2019, 12:09 PM »
I have the IOX with their 8in bit, but I can also use my 6in Laser on it as the extension that came with the ION will attach to my Laser

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2019, 12:12 PM »
I have the IOX with their 8in bit, but I can also use my 6in Laser on it as the extension that came with the ION will attach to my Laser

Agreed.  Most flights will fight with the extension.  All you'd need to do is find a flight that uses the shaver style blades and has a centering point.  I think most options have already been mentioned.
westernmas on the finder

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.