The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Picking apart maps for walleye spots  (Read 1265 times)

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
Picking apart maps for walleye spots
« on: Dec 10, 2021, 03:22 PM »
I'm just a humble icehead from Indiana, so I figured I'd come look for some advice where the true walleye masters reside -- the wisconsin iceshanty forum.

Ice season is still a ways away for us hoosiers, but while I'm waiting, I wanted to see if I could get some confirmation on what I believe to be good walleye spots in this lake (chartviewer shots below). This lake is super clear and deep, with a max at 107'. My first plan of attack is the 25' hole in the NE section of the lake, but then I started wondering about the saddles and deeper basin in that area, as well as the 35' - 40' finger flats in the eastern section. Obviously, the hole is probably the best option, but was wondering if these other aforementioned spots would be worth a shot. Thanks to anyone in advance who can help me out!!

Limit your kill - Don't kill your limit!

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Picking apart maps for walleye spots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2021, 03:26 PM »
side note: prime forage in this lake is gizzard shad (only shiner species in the lake) and perch. state record rainbow and northern also comes out of this lake.

Offline GB-Dan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2021, 09:19 PM »
My 2 cents, not knowing the lake...

I like the looks of that saddle area the most, though i would start on the long bar out past it.
clear water means low light fishing, most of the time.
it also means fishing deeper than i like to....any fish you pull up from deeper than about 25' will probably die.
Personally, i dont catch many fish on real steep stuff, other than the upper or lower lips of it.

I'd look for flat areas adjacent to deep (30+) water with rocks, gravel or weeds, targeting the 10-20 foot range.
long points with the same would also be good bets.
the spots on that saddle at the depth i mention would be good bets...maybe.
Lambasters Lodge Buck and Musky camp.

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2021, 10:27 AM »
Gotcha. thanks for taking the time to help a guy out!

I've never fished those saddles before so I'll have to give em a solid try this year. Seems that I always plan on getting to that spot every year and then end up coming up with a totally different game plan last minute and go shallower.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.