New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: sodus bay perch  (Read 25629 times)

Offline flyboy2369

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: sodus bay perch
« Reply #90 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:39 PM »
I made if out on the northwest side today out of the boat launch on first creek.  Made it out to 20fow a lot of lookers and extremely light bits, couldn't get one above the ice though.  According to the GPS I was .6 miles as the crow flies from the boat launch a little to the south east.  What an absolute miserable drag.  I took my tape to the ice though and there was 6.25 inches of excellent black ice where I was at. 

Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend, I would recommend some creepers for the spots of glare ice that the wind has eroded the snow away from.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:17 AM »
You guys are going to think I'm crazy but my family has had a cottage on the bay for 20 yrs. and this year will be the first time I have ever tried to ice fish. looking forward to some fun times. Any pointers on where to start would be appreciated. Our cottage is pretty near Grassy point. thanks!

Grassy point about halfway across towards Krenzer is good. When it is safe, try the 30' water out of third creek. If you are useing emeralds, use the biggest you can get to help keep the dinks away.

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #92 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Thanks for the tips. Follow the sandbar that extends off Grassy into the middle? Dont want no dinks.actually, I would be satisfied
to bring any perch topside first times out there.
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline beez

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #93 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Update:;
Made it out to sodus bay today in the wind storm on the east side all the snow is gone and has been replaced with white ice still about 4" of black tho I did see some snowmobile tracks on the ice ( crazy, still would not trust it but that's just me) was using jigs tipped with some fat heads and emeralds and the bit was slow .....no I mean SLOW fished 7am to 1am and caught 6 dinks and one keeper  :-\  drilled about 30 holes I'm really kind of bumming b/c I just bought my nanook and the wind was so strong when I was messing with my tip downs it blew my clam over spilled two dozen minnows all over the inside and it landed On my auger and cut a five inch slit in the canvas thank god I turned the heater off :-\

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:39 AM »
Anybody going to venture out this weekend? I know its supposed to be warm but should be a good weekend for fishing! Might venture out on sunday for my first trip to sodus of 2014!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Headed up Saturday. Hope the fishing is good. I have a buddy that went out today and caught a bucket full.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:42 PM »
Thats one of the first times ive heard of somebody catching a bucketful this season! Hope it continues!

Offline Rbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:58 PM »
The ice is anywhere between 5 to 8 inch Leroy island is good third creek in 15 foot is good and off arneys is good in 15 to 20 foot of water got to weed throught the small one good luck

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Jan 08, 2014, 10:18 PM »
Minnows im guessing are the hot ticket right now?

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:27 AM »
yeah lets hope it keeps up I will probably drive two hours sat to get their and not catch anything.

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Jan 09, 2014, 12:03 PM »
yea emeralds minnows are the ticket for the perch  good luck out there and be safe

Offline GENESEEJOHN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Great info guys. I'm glad I started this post last yea. I never made it there last year I hope I make it there soon .

Offline buck34

• IceShanty Rookie
sodus
« Reply #102 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Ice conditions at Sodus....wondering how much ice was lost with the recent warm weather and wind. Are they running machines out there? It takes almost 2 hours to get to Sodus, don't want to waste the trip if conditions are bad. Had a buddy that went Friday, said ice was about ten inches, but fishing was slow. Any other reports would be greatly appreciated.

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: sodus
« Reply #103 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:41 PM »
One more post and you will be able to go to the reports and conditions page. When there scroll down to sodus and check out the latest reports. I think there were guys there today. :tipup: :tipup:

Offline nadr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Jan 12, 2014, 07:12 PM »
I was wondering if you guys have any luck catching walleyes on Sodus. I would appreciate any information. Thanks

Offline Jimmyb07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:52 PM »
Not sure if they catch walleyes, I've seen northern tho

Offline Jimmyb07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:55 PM »
I'm going to be headed out to Sod us on Tuesday, either Arney's or three mile

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #107 on: Jan 13, 2014, 09:00 AM »
Has anyone seen any Northern Pike caught this year? Just wondering how the bite has been on the big bay this year, as last year is was all but non-existant! Would be great to see some entered for the Ice Pro-Am event in Feb! @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline spf99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Jan 13, 2014, 12:09 PM »
Has anyone seen any Northern Pike caught this year? Just wondering how the bite has been on the big bay this year, as last year is was all but non-existant! Would be great to see some entered for the Ice Pro-Am event in Feb! @)

Pike are reportedly being caught between Leroy Island and the east shore.

http://www.waynecountytourism.com/featured-articles/fishing-update
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Jan 13, 2014, 12:22 PM »
I have a relative that lives right there off of Lake Bluff Rd.  He hasn't seen anyone pike fishing in there at all.  Ol' man Davenport said that they are getting them straight north of his bait shop and are getting them consistently.
Spud, throw rope, PFD and stay on top

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #110 on: Jan 13, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Good to hear! I know they did well on them all summer - I hope the numbers remain good through this winter season! The largest one caught at the IPA Event will be getting mounted!! @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline keukaperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Jan 15, 2014, 11:45 AM »
Any updates on the ice, we are expecting our first child next week so hoping to get on the ice this weekend one last time before diaper duty kicks in!
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #112 on: Jan 15, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Any updates on the ice, we are expecting our first child next week so hoping to get on the ice this weekend one last time before diaper duty kicks in!
 ;D ;D ;D
Definatly try to get out with the guys one last time.  It will be a lot different trying to get time to do things, but best thing in the world. Congrats.

Offline keukaperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Jan 15, 2014, 12:45 PM »
Thanks!  ;D

Offline Pappy24

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: sodus bay northerns
« Reply #114 on: Jan 17, 2014, 04:57 AM »
Hard to compete with so many golden shiners in the Bay But the NP are there.

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:15 AM »
I just heard yesterday that they killed the northerns in near Grassy and north of Davenports.  The report was a 16lb was amongst the many caught as well as some tens.  Good luck.  The ice is about 6" in that area.
Spud, throw rope, PFD and stay on top

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:54 AM »
Has there been any good catches of perch lately? The past year at sodus has been very slow compared to the years before that

Offline thegoodoldboy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Life's too short to complain...
« Reply #117 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:36 AM »
We killed em this past Monday. Sitting on 8 to 9 inches of 3rd crick tight now. Been moving around all day. Slow bite....

Offline keukaperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:19 PM »
Thanks for the update, will be out tomorrow chasing them as well!

Offline spf99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:47 PM »
Anyone know what it's like over by the islands/Connelly's?  There don't seem to be any reports from over that way.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.