Author Topic: All Around Hub  (Read 659 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
All Around Hub
« on: Nov 21, 2023, 08:57 AM »
Hey all!

Wow, it's been a minute since I've been around here. Hope everyone's doing awesome. So, here's the scoop: my crew (kids aged 7, 5, and 2) are getting super into fishing, and I'm on the hunt for a hub that's just right for us. We need a cozy spot to warm up during our lake days (you know, ice fishing, skating, and all that fun stuff), plus a place where I can chill while helping out the little ones. And yeah, I'm also dreaming about some ice camping adventures with my oldest.

Right now, I'm rocking an Eskimo Wide One Inferno, which is great for solo trips or when I bring one kiddo along. But we're in serious need of an upgrade something bigger, but still easy to pack for our trips. I'm thinking a hub that's comfy for two to crash overnight, hopefully insulated, but not crazy expensive or huge like the Monster Lodge. I've got a soft spot for Eskimo and heard some cool things about Otter, but I'm all ears for your suggestions.

Cheers and thanks a ton!
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Braxtonheim62

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: All Around Hub
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2023, 09:15 AM »
I bought the Nordic Legend 6-8 man hub. Its usually me and 3 others inside and there's plenty of room for cooking etc. I know you don't want huge (this is about 120 sqft) but if your looking to sleep overnight with cots, this would be something to consider. Well insulated and haven't had an issue yet. It is a little big in the bag but if you have a sled to pull your gear, it's not bad at all. And it's also extremely easy to put up by yourself! This is the only hub I've ever had and I can say I'm extremely happy with it! Im pretty sure they make a smaller one also. Link below is the hub on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N57OR8C?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2023, 09:28 AM »
You look to be making a investment ...that the family can grow into and be a multi-tasker . Some features I would recommend  insulated ..full door ,,,grommets in the skirting ...removable windows..good anchors and tie downs ....also a grey interior is nice and bright . That puts you into Eskimo and Otter ..some knock off brands my also fit the bill but may be missing some of the features above.

PM sent ...let us know what you land on
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2023, 03:41 PM »
For a small group of 1-4, the Eskimo 450xd is great hub, but especially if you want to camp overnight or be more comfortable with 3-5 then the 650xd is the one you want.   The 650 is a nice go between of the small and giant hubs. 

Offline laketrouthunter94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2023, 03:53 PM »
I fish out of an Eskimo 650XD, and it's been great. Lots of space, but still small enough to heat with a Big Buddy heater. Very spacious for 2-3 people, but could definitely fish 4 comfortably. I've ice camped in it with two guys with temps of -10F, and it was comfortable. The No-Trip door is an absolute must if you're going to invest in a new shelter, and great for kids. Just my two cents, but Eskimo was the first to introduce hub shelters and a full panel (no-trip) door in ice fishing, and I like to stick with them. Tried and true.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2023, 04:49 PM »
Super Crazy Expensive 4 season tents: Russian Bear tents.  RBM Outdoors.  ;D

There's no flooring designed for ice fishing cuz they don't specialize in that.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.