Author Topic: Adding hair on jigs/lures  (Read 931 times)

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
Adding hair on jigs/lures
« on: Nov 20, 2023, 08:39 PM »
Since I have down time before ice fishing season.
I was going to make hair jigs for next year’s soft water season.
Haven’t seen too many ice fishing lures with hair.
Has anyone tried to add hair to their lures?
Just curious if they help.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Adding hair on jigs/lures
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2023, 08:56 PM »

Some of my more popular trout lures! ( especially the pink ones!)

"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Hillsfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2023, 08:59 PM »
I did try it once.  Since I tie flies for fly fishing, I have everything needed.  I added some feather or hair (can't recall what I did) to a standard tungsten jig for panfish.  I caught fish, can't really say more or less.  The results were not enough to prove either way.  When fishing for panfish I use a tungsten jig with a waxworm or micro plastic.  It seems to me that during the winter the fish prefer a smaller profile so keeping things small is best.  But give it a try, you never know! 

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2023, 12:53 AM »
Check out the videos by Smalljaw on YouTube.
He's got some great patterns of hair jigs that the fish really like.
And the tutorials are fairly easy to follow.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2023, 08:03 AM »
I use shrimp patterns and larva/emergers as a dropper under a small Swedish pimple and I have used wooly buggers when ice fishing for trout.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline Braxtonheim62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2023, 08:58 AM »
I was thinking about this the other day! Thinking of putting a couple feathers on some and some buck tail on some others and giving them a shot!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2023, 09:50 AM »
This brings back the old style of wooly bugger jigs.  Rabbit hair, marabou, and even buck tail hair.  In the end I used mostly feathered jigs and usually end up trimming them down to usually two feathers left or so, depending on size.  I will say that for shallower water fishing in less than 10 feet they work well.  However it seems when used in deeper water at around 20 feet or so, they become quite dull in action.  Maybe it was the combination of everything from equipment to depth.  Have not used them lately.  I still keep a few Flu Flu feathered jigs in the tackle box always.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2023, 01:07 PM »
I use black or very dark Bucktail on lead head jigs , black. Add in some silver flashabou . Does very well on crappies & largemouth . After dark not so much. 1/16 oz mainly

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2023, 11:25 AM »
Rule #1: There are no magic lures. Corollary: There is nothing you can add to any lure that will make it magic. These are truths even though it sometimes seems like you own or have made magic.

That said there is often science is doing a bit of tinkering with stuff. My Grand-dad often fished for river walleyes, open water. All he ever used was a 2/5 Daredevle spoon. Ever. He did insist that it sport a bucktail (hair) streamer instead of a bare hook. Said it was 20 times better. Can't prove it but I suspect there was some truth to that. So, the addition of hair, or other dressing on an otherwise bare jig could be a plus.

Couple of things I've learned from making a pile of fishing lures: All hair is not created equal. Bucktail is not marabou (technically feathers), is not squirrel, is not woodchuck, is not fox, is not... you get the idea. Bucktail, for example can be a little stiff so it doesn't move much but is also very buoyant making a lure fish just a bit "lighter" than undressed or dressed with almost anything else. Craft hair (troll hair) is synthetic and moves underwater almost or as much as marabou. Flash dressings are simply mylar strips that can varying amounts of action but zero buoyancy. Lots and lots of choices in materials to choose from.

One other thing. When I started tying lures and jigs I sometime found that less is more. By that I mean too much hair, flashabou, whatever may not be as effective as significantly less. think of the pains we take to try to make our lures and bait "look natural". Often time just a hint of attraction is way more effective that a giant wad of what ever we think looks great. One small strip of tinsel in a sparsely tied bucktail can change everything.

Materials abound, especially at this time of year. No ones gonna miss a few strand of tinsel offa the tree. Three/four colors? Nobody counted 'em when they went up  ::)

I've got some hair and marabou around but no pics. Here's some with "Krystal Flash" I've had some decent results on for ice:

(Click on pic to enlarge)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2023, 04:24 PM »
Yep I use the Flash as well. tie up Ontario and Erie trib flies for the runs. Been fishing a ton of top water with poppers from my yak all with the fly rod.
I will say that a blend is REQUIRED for good color and action.
That Marabou just loves to float and move, the flash-not so much. The main rule I use is to use both and what ever material I have in my arsenal. I will say that using too much can be an issue if tipping with grubs.
Been tying these up https://www.greatlakesoutfitters.ca/medium-simcoe-bug-buv-series-with-fluro-glow-tungs.html and instead of the Waspi/scud body I went to hobby Lobby and got some bracelet making material and wrap them tail to tip. The neat part of that material is you can buy stuff that glows. Time will tell how long it lasts compared to paint. Softer feel as well.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2023, 07:57 PM »
Really appreciate this site.
Guys, thanks for the help.
Appreciate all the knowledge out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.