Author Topic: St Crox Rods  (Read 1952 times)

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
St Crox Rods
« on: Nov 19, 2023, 08:59 AM »
Just a FYA, St Crap rods will not provide customer service.  I had a defective rod and they told me to send rod back with $50 and they would look at it. They claim to be the best rod made in America.  DON'T THINK SO. Buyers beware.
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: St Crox Rods
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2023, 09:08 AM »
Their fly rods genuinely used to be about the best rods an honest man could buy. Based on what I hear about their ice rods though, I'm better off looking at almost any other brand
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2023, 06:45 PM »
I was ready to throw in the towel on at croix. I called, emailed, etc and never heard back. A couple weeks ago they called me back and left a voicemail. Figured I missed out but they called me again and I was able to get a replacement rod tip for $25. So…not sure what to think of them right now. 
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2023, 08:20 PM »
Seems like they provided customer service to me. What’s the rest of the story? What rod was it? How long have you owned it? What was the defect? They wouldn’t have you send them cash if they didn’t plan on taking care of you. I’m not sure what you’re upset about. If you were expecting a brand new rod for free then buy a rod that offers that guarantee.

Their ice rods are actually pretty nice. They are just grossly overpriced riding on the “St. Croix” name and for the price you can get a better rod for much cheaper.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Braxtonheim62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2023, 01:10 PM »
I had great customer service with them in the past. Just paid shipping

Offline mix123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2023, 01:13 PM »
I had an ultralight that I broke the tip off. I emailed them and they had me call them the following morning. $30 and they shipped me a brand new rod. It arrived a week later. It really doesn't get any better than this.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2023, 04:06 PM »
Maybe something changed.

Any experience I have had with St. Croix  has always been positive.

WS

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2023, 06:06 PM »
Do they make an ice rod in USA? I've got a number of their USA premier rods for open water. I've not nothing against Mexico either though, I guess that's technically America. I've only ever had positive experience with St Croix, although I've only ever had one fail that wasn't my fault. The liner for a guide broke way too soon. They had me swap it for a new rod at the local dealer for free. I would never expect any company to fix my fishing rod if it's over a year old, and the fact that they will if you pay shipping seems great to me.
-Tom

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2023, 01:11 PM »
I was ready to throw in the towel on at croix. I called, emailed, etc and never heard back. A couple weeks ago they called me back and left a voicemail. Figured I missed out but they called me again and I was able to get a replacement rod tip for $25. So…not sure what to think of them right now.

Define "rod tip".  If you mean the top half a two piece rod then you did good.  If you mean a tip top then you got bent over and done raw.  Either way you received poor customer service.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2023, 01:14 PM »
Too many feel entitled to a new rod when they are to blame. I'm surprised any of these companys can offer the warranty most expect

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2023, 04:12 PM »
I used to send St. Croix feedback in their suggestions/comments thingy box, but they never reply back to me.  If they did, it must have been late late later or months to years have gone by.   ;D  I quit looking for that response back. 

But I do check their discontinued/retired rods sales every now and then hoping to find an awesome rod - without any warranty back up.  Have gotten some of the best deals out of it.  The local tackle shop does sometimes offer some of the St. Croix rep samples and rare discontinued models too.  Who wouldn't want a St. Croix Legend rod for 1/2 price even without warranty.

I will say that I have avoided their recent ice rods, cuz there hasn't been one in particular that interests me.  I mean with the lousy line guides on their spinning rods, ahem ahem... ;D  I mean their was some rods that pique my interest but alas, I passed. 

I don't like their metric labelled rods.  It's late and it now confuses me.  Should've done that like 30 yrs ago so I can adjust to it.  ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2023, 04:31 PM »
St. Croix rods I have owned are the best.  My buddy broke one of my bass rods he was "borrowing" with the lid to the rod locker and they replaced it.  I was definitely abusing another rod that was a medium light by trolling in heavy current and snapped off the tip on a nice brown.  They replaced it.  I was casting my MOJO Bass I hadn't used much this past summer and it cast spinner baits and buzz baits a country mile so it's my go-to spinner bait rod.  I have well over a hundred fishing rods from many different companies and my St. Croixs are some of the best.
That said I don't use expensive ice rods and don't own any St. Croix ice rods. 

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2023, 08:48 PM »
The funny thing is, rods don't break by themself. When I break a rod tip or snap a rod, I don't cry about poor customer servive. I replace it, learn from it & move on.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2023, 05:14 AM »
The funny thing is, rods don't break by themself. When I break a rod tip or snap a rod, I don't cry about poor customer servive. I replace it, learn from it & move on.
Hate breaking a tip :%$#!:

Kinda true, hate to say it. I have waaay more rods and reels in one case and its not always the most gentle spot. Ice rods in generalyl break regardless of blanks-- especially carbon, fibererglass in my view hold up better.
Never built a st.croix ice rod, but did a 6wt fly rod that I throw tons of top water flies/popper with to pond bass and a 9wt salmon (both impalas) rod for erie and ontario tribs, had it since 1988 in HS, caught plenty of big fish on that. The mudsharks love to punish gear.

I think there was some sort of damage to the blank and it was just time for it to go. If your gonna buy expensive rods, get a custom one made and support a local :whistle:
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2023, 08:58 AM »
Define "rod tip".  If you mean the top half a two piece rod then you did good.  If you mean a tip top then you got bent over and done raw.  Either way you received poor customer service.

The way it was explained to me was I could send it in and pay for shipping both ways so they could fix it, or they could send me “the top half of a two piece rod” for $25. I’ll take that every time.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2023, 02:11 PM »
Defective🤥. Way to much of this sh t in the world.  Like Jon said- fix it and move on.

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm new but I'm awesome! Also, humble.....
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2023, 04:48 PM »
I write product reviews for iReviewGear.com as a side gig. I am about to test out most of the upper end St. Croix ice rod line. St. Croix Custom, Tundra Ice, Skandic Ice, and Panfish Ice Combo. Going to use them for pike, walleye, and crappie in NoDak and Minnesota and then again for lakers, bows, perch, and whatever else bites in Washington and Idaho. I plan to run them through the riggers and test them to the fullest ability that the fish allow LOL. I will try and repost my review links here.

My experience with the company so far has been nothing short of fantastic and I am really looking forward to working with them. I spend time on forums trying to get a feel for what the boots-on-the-ground crew are saying about the products I test so I can go into the reviews with an idea of things I may encounter. I hope that the negative comments about St. Croix are a rarity as they have thus far been great to work with.     
Who knew iceholes could be so fun!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2023, 07:13 PM »
Like anything and everything, there will always be haters and fans.  There will always be babies and abusers.  If someone wants to break something, there's always a way.  Then again, sometimes somethings do take the punishment and keeps on working.

I'm a St. Croix fanboy, I will admit to it.  However I am not brain hacked by St. Croix.  Not everything they do makes sense to me.  Some things, I am totally lost on the reason why.  Some things, I am totally amazed that only you can get it from a St. Croix rod.  Some things, I wish they could do a better job on it.  I will say, that often I measure things against St. Croix rods as it has sort of become a standard of measurement for me.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2023, 07:49 AM »
I think the bass jigging rod I use for erie smallies was the 1st rod I paid bout 100$ for--- years ago and still fish it!!! Wish it were a 2 piece

" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2023, 09:00 AM »
Another here who has never had a problem with St. Croix rods and know many people who have never had a problem. Customer service has always been great for us. SGM, when you talk to them do you start off yelling St. Crap rods :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:!!!!?
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline ryguy80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2023, 11:48 AM »
Have a St. Croix ice rod that I haven't had any issues with. Although it has been regulated to a backup role between my TUCR and Elliott Rods setups...lol. Just like the feel of those two better.
YouTube - Wissota Fishing

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2023, 02:47 PM »
I have had several st croix rods, mainly open water and have broke all of them but one.  They do replace them without issues, but they just seem to break too easy for the price you pay.  I love my widow makers for on the ice, don't need that spring bobber with the tip on the widow.  Nez

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2023, 09:04 AM »
I have had several st croix rods, mainly open water and have broke all of them but one.  They do replace them without issues, but they just seem to break too easy for the price you pay.  I love my widow makers for on the ice, don't need that spring bobber with the tip on the widow.  Nez

Man thought I was tough on gear.
Might think of building rods as a new hobby ;D
Ice rods just want to break. Opened my rod case yesterday and ha one UL I build last year broken at the tip. **censored**?

Jean Cocteau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.