Author Topic: Fastest Ice Auger  (Read 5395 times)

Offline 3whitevanes

• IceShanty Rookie
Fastest Ice Auger
« on: Aug 18, 2018, 07:56 AM »
Just looking for opinions.....I've had a few augers over the years, and settled on an ION X 2 years ago.  I absolutely love everything about it, but felt a bit of remorse late last winter....I gave my Jiffy gas auger to my brother when I got the Ion.  We were fishing on about 30" of ice and had to to a bunch of drilling to try and find some fish.  He was drilling at least twice as many holes as me - perhaps more.  The old Jiffy was kicking ass and taking names.  My ION was doing well, but not to the speed of the Jiffy.  When by myself, and not having to hole-hop, the Ion is great, and I wouldn't give it up for anything.  However - when fishing with a few buddies, and needing to pop a bunch of holes in quick fashion, I think I want a drag-race model.  What are all your experiences with gas augers, and which is going to drill a bunch of holes in bad-ass speed fashion?  I contacted Jiffy with the exact same question, but all they did was hem and haw about how each model is different, and each model serves a different purpose.  For simplicity-sake - let's assume there is 30" of ice and I want to plant a bunch of holes in a hurry - what's my best option?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Fastest Ice Auger
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2018, 08:29 AM »
I can't say enough good about the old Model 30 Jiffy. Weighs a ton but cuts great. My old Z51 with an 8" bit did me well for the several years I had it,and no one on the lake ever drilled faster than it. But I went last year with my Ridgid Drill and an 7" Mini Nero auger. It cuts 2" a second and would beat either of the other 2 auger's by far. I will be going with an 6" Nero this year and would never go back to Gas. Might also ad the Clam Plate just to keep it off the ice but it isn't a necessity.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2018, 09:06 AM »
If weight is not a concern.a older tecumseh powered jiffy model 30 is a ice cutting beast.my jiffy 1 armed bandit from 1970 can still out cut newer model augers.ive had a few china jiffys to that cut pretty fast.i now run a jiffy pro 4 lite thats cuts pretty good for a 4 stroker.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Another for old jiffy.  Sharp blades are the important part. Jiffy chipper blade sharpening is nearly idiot proof once you learn what you are doing. New blades for the ion wouldn't be a bad idea shaver style blades can get dull pretty quick depending on how clean the ice is in your area. If you're just fishing panfish you can pick up a 6" bit for $50 on the jiffy site. https://www.jiffyonice.com/Shop/Special-Sales/Drill-Assemblies/Demo-XT. I would think it would be ridiculously fast

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2018, 02:38 PM »

Another vote for the old model 30

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2018, 03:33 PM »
My 20+ yr. old Strikemaster Lazer Mag, with a Tecumseh (TC300) power head, drills way fast.  For one thing, it produces more RPMs than the modern augers.  I'll be so sad when that thing gives up and needs retired.

So, not a Jiffy vote, but an old Tecumseh power head vote, I guess.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2018, 09:03 PM »
Don’t know if talking about gas or electric, the Milwaukee clam plate set up is fast!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2018, 10:30 PM »
Don’t know if talking about gas or electric, the Milwaukee clam plate set up is fast!

This will be my 4th season with mine, and I won’t use anything else. I have mine paired with a 7” lazer with the older 750ish pound torque. New drills can handle the 8” augers no problem.

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2018, 06:29 AM »
Tanaka gas drill - Nils 6” , fastest auger for popping holes. Then you always have the handle for manual labor that will still get you through 30” of ice if needed.  For early season I use the Milwaukee fuel 2704 until it gets about a foot of ice.
Keep an eye out on eBay and Craig’s. Bought the used Tanaka for 80$ and the nils for 89$ end of year clearance. Waiting for a deal is the hard part.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2018, 11:17 AM »
My 20+ yr. old Strikemaster Lazer Mag, with a Tecumseh (TC300) power head, drills way fast.  For one thing, it produces more RPMs than the modern augers.  I'll be so sad when that thing gives up and needs retired.

So, not a Jiffy vote, but an old Tecumseh power head vote, I guess.

TC-III vote here too..

Here's mine, TC-III engine on an 8" Eskimo..

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Speed of auger cutting has to do with the type of blades you got on the auger.. going and using a mora or ion x type brace bit style blade would have the slowest but easiest cut on the drill   next fastset cut would be the lazer nils etc type curved blade augers few issues with those are..  one is at the end of the hole tends to pull you down in to the hole that's were lifting up helps.. and the 7 and 8 inch lazer  models. have ice breaking bars that totaly lock the auger up at bottom of hole..we're the nils don't have these bars making fir a effortless cut.. the breaking bars prevent turning that was for hand augers used with drills for power heads like propane and Gas with there auger bits are similar..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 19, 2018, 06:05 PM »
Just looking for opinions.....I've had a few augers over the years, and settled on an ION X 2 years ago.  I absolutely love everything about it, but felt a bit of remorse late last winter....I gave my Jiffy gas auger to my brother when I got the Ion.  We were fishing on about 30" of ice and had to to a bunch of drilling to try and find some fish.  He was drilling at least twice as many holes as me - perhaps more.  The old Jiffy was kicking ass and taking names.  My ION was doing well, but not to the speed of the Jiffy.  When by myself, and not having to hole-hop, the Ion is great, and I wouldn't give it up for anything.  However - when fishing with a few buddies, and needing to pop a bunch of holes in quick fashion, I think I want a drag-race model.  What are all your experiences with gas augers, and which is going to drill a bunch of holes in bad-ass speed fashion?  I contacted Jiffy with the exact same question, but all they did was hem and haw about how each model is different, and each model serves a different purpose.  For simplicity-sake - let's assume there is 30" of ice and I want to plant a bunch of holes in a hurry - what's my best option?

The ion is slow, and made that way to get the most out of the electric motor and setup.

If you want to punch a bunch of holes fast.....well you need to figure out what setups will turn an auger faster.

A nils/lazer on a good drill like a Milwaukee 1200+ in/lb drill will drill about has fast has any of them and about has many holes has you can drill with a 9ah battery.

If you want to speed up your ion, maybe try a used 6in lazer auger on it and see what it does.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Aug 19, 2018, 08:29 PM »
I have a 2003 Eskimo Mako with the Tecumseh TC300 motor and Turbo-Cut blades and it cuts pretty fast.  My friend who has an old Jiffy doesn't like it because as he says, "it pulls you down the hole".  It seems like a lot of people focus on the brand and don't consider how much of an affect how sharp the blades are has on the speed they cut. 

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 20, 2018, 07:17 AM »
For gas augers in this order:

1.  Eskimo Rocket auger 8”
2.  Nils/Tanaka 8” (no longer available but can still be found used)
3.  Strikemaster Lazer Pro 8”

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2018, 07:45 AM »
Getting ready for ice, got several vintage Mora 7" hand augers $10 to $15 each with the old hardened Swedish steel blades modified to replicate K-drill style blades #5. Went with clam plate 3/4" drive bit & M18 Fuel Mud Mixer worked ok on early ice #1. Wanted to try my DeWalt/Jiffy so converted to the 7/8" drive bit, didn't have the power to cut the aggressive blade #2. Later ice in Wheelhouse, went with my Eskimo 43cc with a Walker 25' flex exhaust out the door, cut 32" ice in 27 seconds #3. Ran 4 1/2 holes to 1 of my buddies new green ION 8in. Made some adapters to put the 7/8" auger bits on my Clam Plate and Mud Mixer #4 for early ice this coming season.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2018, 08:18 AM »
quite frankly any well taken care of gas auger or even drill/kdrill set up will outpace an ion x2 or even x3. 

we were out on 24" this past year and you had to move around.  watching guys take so long to drill holes with their ions was pretty funny.

i'm not a guy where 1 second makes a difference in how fast an auger cuts.  but when i'm on my 3rd hole with a kdrill and that guy is just about to finish his first?  thats slooowwww. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2018, 07:32 PM »
Getting ready for ice, got several vintage Mora 7" hand augers $10 to $15 each with the old hardened Swedish steel blades modified to replicate K-drill style blades #5. Went with clam plate 3/4" drive bit & M18 Fuel Mud Mixer worked ok on early ice #1. Wanted to try my DeWalt/Jiffy so converted to the 7/8" drive bit, didn't have the power to cut the aggressive blade #2. Later ice in Wheelhouse, went with my Eskimo 43cc with a Walker 25' flex exhaust out the door, cut 32" ice in 27 seconds #3. Ran 4 1/2 holes to 1 of my buddies new green ION 8in. Made some adapters to put the 7/8" auger bits on my Clam Plate and Mud Mixer #4 for early ice this coming season.

What was the point to turning the shaver blade into one with teeth? Without a point to guide it, I would think reopening holes wouldn't work to well.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 2018, 10:23 AM »
What was the point to turning the shaver blade into one with teeth? Without a point to guide it, I would think reopening holes wouldn't work to well.

Look close expand the view, mine has a point. Augers without a point are somewhat useless.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2018, 05:46 PM »
I have a model 30 jiffy bought new years ago. I redone the motor years back, oversized piston ported and polished the head cut it down to increase compression.
Larger carb and hotter ignition.
Runs off 110 octane fuel and sounds like built dirt bike wide open.
Still run it few times a year but its heavy.
Dangerous I dont let anyone else run it.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:48 PM »
Look close expand the view, mine has a point. Augers without a point are somewhat useless.

Cool. Just a heads up for you. On my 10in mora before I found a few sets of blades I bought a set of HT polar fire shaver/chipper blades in 10in. They fit, but were a little to aggressive to turn with my drill. If you're running an 8in, you could probly put a set of those on vs making the notches on the blade.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2018, 06:34 AM »
Cool. Just a heads up for you. On my 10in mora before I found a few sets of blades I bought a set of HT polar fire shaver/chipper blades in 10in. They fit, but were a little to aggressive to turn with my drill. If you're running an 8in, you could probly put a set of those on vs making the notches on the blade.
I have a 10" Eskimo, don't use it much anymore. My objective was to improve the speed and ease moving my Wheelhose to different fishing spots so I also converrted my light weight Wheelhouse from hand crank to power lift. Now just flip the switch, jump in nt truck and go. Final lift happens on-the-go.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 22, 2018, 07:47 PM »
I have a 10" Eskimo, don't use it much anymore. My objective was to improve the speed and ease moving my Wheelhose to different fishing spots so I also converrted my light weight Wheelhouse from hand crank to power lift. Now just flip the switch, jump in nt truck and go. Final lift happens on-the-go.

Nice.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #22 on: Aug 24, 2018, 11:01 AM »
I have an eskimo mako and it cuts pretty fast with an 8" auger. My brother who has a dewalt drill paired with an 8" auger will beat me all day long for drilling holes quickly. Those electric drills are pretty stinking fast.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Aug 26, 2018, 04:29 AM »
I wonder how fast a milw. drill would do on speed 2 vs. speed 1 ,which is recomended. anyone accidently done that ?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Aug 26, 2018, 07:14 AM »
I wonder how fast a milw. drill would do on speed 2 vs. speed 1 ,which is recomended. anyone accidently done that ?

I think a lot of guys have the misconception that speed 1 is a gear reduction from speed 2.  It isn’t.  It’s simply a speed limiter.  You will cut faster with just as much power with the speed set to 2.  I use my Mud Mixer on speed 5; 550 rpm.  When you switch from speed 1 to speed 2 on your drills, you are just removing the speed 1 rpm detent.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Aug 26, 2018, 08:30 AM »
I think a lot of guys have the misconception that speed 1 is a gear reduction from speed 2.  It isn’t.  It’s simply a speed limiter.  You will cut faster with just as much power with the speed set to 2.  I use my Mud Mixer on speed 5; 550 rpm.  When you switch from speed 1 to speed 2 on your drills, you are just removing the speed 1 rpm detent.

DN

That might be the case on the mud mixer..

But regular drills it's two different gear ratios..

<°)))>{

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Aug 26, 2018, 08:46 AM »

DN
Not quite. The "drill" has a 4 gear reduction transmission. The motor turns at a constant 6,500 RPM. Speed 1 uses all gear reductions, speed 2 uses 1 less gear set. You loose torque (less power) but gain speed on 2.
The mud mixer reduces voltage to the motor but keepd constant current. More curent, lower voltage produces slower bit turn and increases torque providing more power. Greater speed on either set-up requires more battery power to the motor, produces more heat at battery reducing available current. Prolong running from drilling ice holes causes exessive battery heat actavating the built in thermister and shuting down the motor.

Offline Eye Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Aug 26, 2018, 09:37 AM »

DN
What auger are you using with the mud mixer?  I bought the mud mixer this spring and I still need a 8" auger for it.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Aug 26, 2018, 10:00 AM »
What auger are you using with the mud mixer?  I bought the mud mixer this spring and I still need a 8" auger for it.
I use a 6" Mora vintage hand auger with modified blade and center point on a clam plate. Mostly at early ice.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Aug 26, 2018, 10:09 AM »

The 26” section of the Nils Arctic Trekker and the 8” Power Point Head.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.