Author Topic: Tell me why I would need a clam auger plate  (Read 10749 times)

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tell me why I would need a clam auger plate
« Reply #30 on: Aug 21, 2018, 10:33 AM »
no worries, i am just glad i don't have to shell out any more money!

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Aug 21, 2018, 10:42 AM »
I had emailed them asking about in inquiry about the gear box. They had replied saying non were in stock, but that they hoped to have a supply by fall/winter. Did this change?

I would be surprised if you see it this Fall/Winter but who knows.  Maybe they will come out with it in the future IDK.  The struggle is them is making a high quality product with basically zero chance of breaking and making it cost effective.  All of us hardcore guys might pay $130 for a gear box but we have to remember we are the minority.  Not everyone is going to shell out that much money and then it doesn't become cost effective and a big revenue producer for Clam.  The way I understand it, is that the current generation of gear box had some issues with durability (I'm a victim of a broken one) and to make it indestructible would cost more than the average consumer is willing to pay.  Especially when the high end drills can handle an 8 inch bit.  So until they can bring the cost down and not sacrifice having components break it won't be a product I think you will see.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #32 on: Aug 21, 2018, 06:54 PM »
I would be surprised if you see it this Fall/Winter but who knows.  Maybe they will come out with it in the future IDK.  The struggle is them is making a high quality product with basically zero chance of breaking and making it cost effective.  All of us hardcore guys might pay $130 for a gear box but we have to remember we are the minority.  Not everyone is going to shell out that much money and then it doesn't become cost effective and a big revenue producer for Clam.  The way I understand it, is that the current generation of gear box had some issues with durability (I'm a victim of a broken one) and to make it indestructible would cost more than the average consumer is willing to pay.  Especially when the high end drills can handle an 8 inch bit.  So until they can bring the cost down and not sacrifice having components break it won't be a product I think you will see.

They should be able to make it for the price range they had. All they need is tempered gears inside a composite box. This isn't rocket science. A guy makes them on eBay for Christ sakes. The reason they had issues is they tried to go way to cheap on the guts and stuff broke.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Aug 21, 2018, 08:48 PM »
They should be able to make it for the price range they had. All they need is tempered gears inside a composite box. This isn't rocket science. A guy makes them on eBay for Christ sakes. The reason they had issues is they tried to go way to cheap on the guts and stuff broke.

Yep. Plus, as mentioned, the newer drills don’t need the reduction gearing to handle a 8” auger. The first season they put it out, the most popular drills used were in the 725-900(?) in/lb range, now we have 1200in/lb if we needed it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #34 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Yep. Plus, as mentioned, the newer drills don’t need the reduction gearing to handle a 8” auger. The first season they put it out, the most popular drills used were in the 725-900(?) in/lb range, now we have 1200in/lb if we needed it.

True, but plenty of people don't own drills like that.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Aug 21, 2018, 10:05 PM »

Even at 1200 they are still better off with more reduction.. Running even a 6" on my gear box, everything is smoother and happier than without.. Speed is still about the same too.. An 8" bit is still a lot for any cordless drill made..

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #36 on: Aug 21, 2018, 10:27 PM »
Even at 1200 they are still better off with more reduction.. Running even a 6" on my gear box, everything is smoother and happier than without.. Speed is still about the same too.. An 8" bit is still a lot for any cordless drill made..

<°)))>{

I would agree.....but then God made the Milwaukee 1200in/lb drill......a 10in makes it grunt a bit but she still cuts pretty good.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Aug 22, 2018, 08:29 AM »
I would agree.....but then God made the Milwaukee 1200in/lb drill......a 10in makes it grunt a bit but she still cuts pretty good.

Do you turn a 10" auger regularly?  If that dont jack up a drill nothing will!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #38 on: Aug 22, 2018, 08:59 AM »
Do you turn a 10" auger regularly?  If that dont jack up a drill nothing will!

Just for the 9holes in my wheel house.

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Aug 22, 2018, 09:02 AM »

Have you tested these Ebay ones?  Problems seem so simple when a handful of guys are discussing over a forum post and actually have no clue about what is truly going on within a business they aren't part of.  I'm sure there is a lot of reasons it isn't working and they have tried to think through all the scenarios and make it right for their business model. I'm just saying that the gear box isn't going to be something you see in the near future from Clam from what I gathered at Pro Day.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Aug 22, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Have you tested these Ebay ones?  Problems seem so simple when a handful of guys are discussing over a forum post and actually have no clue about what is truly going on within a business they aren't part of.  I'm sure there is a lot of reasons it isn't working and they have tried to think through all the scenarios and make it right for their business model. I'm just saying that the gear box isn't going to be something you see in the near future from Clam from what I gathered at Pro Day.

I think clam can afford to be a little closer to breaking even on one of their products while they overcharge for the rest of them.  I'd be embarrassed to admit i was part of their prostaff with the crap they are putting out

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Aug 22, 2018, 10:39 AM »
I think clam can afford to be a little closer to breaking even on one of their products while they overcharge for the rest of them.  I'd be embarrassed to admit i was part of their prostaff with the crap they are putting out

Just to be clear, when I say "business they aren't part of"  I'm also referring to myself, I have no knowledge of the inner workings of the company as I am not a paid employee. 

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Aug 22, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Now that I've decided to get one, I'll have to wait until someone has them in stock. 

I wanted to start getting set up now for ice fishing, and I know that I'll have to figure out how to connect my Nils auger, so I wanted to get it done.  I'll probably have to make something to connect the auger, but I was hoping to get this all done in advance this summer.  The same thing goes for the one-man flip over that I wanted to purchase and outfit this summer with lights and more...I'll have to wait. 

I guess that I'll just have to focus on deer hunting and getting my treestands, clothes, gear and meals ready and practice a bit more with my bow so that I can disappear into the woods.  The bow opener here is a little over 5 weeks away.

On the other hand, I could get some painting done around the house before the weather changes, but maybe I shouldn't since it's so hot.  Maybe I should just run a fan and get some reloading done so that I can shoot more every week and be ready for the gun season deer opener should I get shut out during archery season...I guess that painting can wait.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #43 on: Aug 28, 2018, 04:39 AM »
Just buy the Milwaukee Mudmixer.  Still have a very powerful drill if needed at home.  The handle setup is perfect for use as ice auger and variable speed selector allows for attaching basically any auger bit you want.  The MMM is a heavy duty power tool.
]

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Aug 28, 2018, 08:34 AM »
Us "Grumpy Old Men" need some help when drilling more then a couple of hole at any one time.  The Clam Plate gives us that advantage.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #45 on: Aug 28, 2018, 07:02 PM »

LMAO....have you ever been around any kind of machinery ever? Simple example for you. I'm from agriculture. The gears/sprockets in machinery that turn things is all they need inside the gear box. For example on a combine bean head....it has a 30ft long 2 1/2ft auger that gears turn. On a round bailer gears turn the belts. Choppers use gears in the heads to chop corn. Having a decent set of gears/cogs should not be difficult to find that would exceed the tolerances needed in the ice auger. Saying that a cost effective measure on bringing the gear box is impossible.......well that is down right wrong. If they aren't bringing it to market, it's for a different set of reasons.

Offline 1tohuntandfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Aug 30, 2018, 05:40 PM »
 I had the drill catch the day before the NAIFC Mille Lacs championship.  When the drill caught at the bottom of the hole it dislocated my knee and fractured my femur and tibia.  I am a believer in the clam plate.  I wish I would have had it at the time.  I ended up fishing two important days on crutches. Money well spent i.m.o.  That leg was easily over 10 grand.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Aug 31, 2018, 07:59 AM »
I had the drill catch the day before the NAIFC Mille Lacs championship.  When the drill caught at the bottom of the hole it dislocated my knee and fractured my femur and tibia.  I am a believer in the clam plate.  I wish I would have had it at the time.  I ended up fishing two important days on crutches. Money well spent i.m.o.  That leg was easily over 10 grand.

Ouch!  I hope that you’re much better, now!

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Aug 31, 2018, 08:01 AM »
For me, it's easier to hold, keeps the drill off the ice when I lay it down, seems to handle the off-axis torque better, and looks cool.

Dave

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Sep 05, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Does anyone have a source for a Clam to Nils auger adapter?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #50 on: Sep 05, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Does anyone have a source for a Clam to Nils auger adapter?

Keep checking eBay usually a guy makes a run of the adaptors then they sell out quick.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Sep 06, 2018, 02:39 PM »
I didn't use one all last year but I think it would be a great addition to my Milwaukee and 8" auger. Must be easier to drill with even though it wasn't that hard before.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.