The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Didnt expect it  (Read 2890 times)

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
Didnt expect it
« on: Mar 26, 2008, 06:01 PM »
Iwas in northern michigan the past few day getting in what could be the last ice fishing trip of the year seeing how where i live the ice is dissapearing.......fas t. One the first day out i was fishing perch off the bottom in about 50fow and i was catching small perch after small perch with a hali jig tipped with a minnow head. Suddenly i set the hook and i thought to myself well this is the type of perch ive been looking for! Anhd whet the fish got to the hole i realized that i ha d a splake on the other end of my line. The split second i took to look down the hole was just enough for him to get off the hook. This happened two more times and i will have to say it was a nice suprise. ;D ;D :tipup:  Oh by the way i caught these splake on a very light weight gill rod with 3lb test!!!!
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Didnt expect it
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2008, 06:27 PM »
well isnt that unfortunate ;)
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2008, 06:46 PM »
Two weeks ago when I went out the same thing happened to me except I don"t know what was breaking my line. Through out the whole season you would only catch perch, at this place, but on that day I would see all kinds of bubbles and then BOOM, fight for a second or so so then snap, catch more perch then the same thing would happen, then again. If I had the shack out there that day I could have at least seen what was going on down below. The only other fish I can think of would be a smallmouth, rainbow (no), lake trout(prob not), sea monster (prob so). Well I guess I won't know until next year when I fish for perch with 50 lb test. :tipup:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2008, 06:50 PM »
Riley,
 Did you ice the splake? I was not sure if you got any
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2008, 07:14 PM »
Iwas in northern michigan the past few day getting in what could be the last ice fishing trip of the year seeing how where i live the ice is dissapearing.......fas t. One the first day out i was fishing perch off the bottom in about 50fow and i was catching small perch after small perch with a hali jig tipped with a minnow head. Suddenly i set the hook and i thought to myself well this is the type of perch ive been looking for! Anhd whet the fish got to the hole i realized that i ha d a splake on the other end of my line. The split second i took to look down the hole was just enough for him to get off the hook. This happened two more times and i will have to say it was a nice suprise. ;D ;D :tipup:  Oh by the way i caught these splake on a very light weight gill rod with 3lb test!!!!
Replace the single hook with a treble i have had the same thing happen.

Offline hauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2008, 07:37 AM »
Two weeks ago when I went out the same thing happened to me except I don"t know what was breaking my line. Through out the whole season you would only catch perch, at this place, but on that day I would see all kinds of bubbles and then BOOM, fight for a second or so so then snap, catch more perch then the same thing would happen, then again. If I had the shack out there that day I could have at least seen what was going on down below. The only other fish I can think of would be a smallmouth, rainbow (no), lake trout(prob not), sea monster (prob so). Well I guess I won't know until next year when I fish for perch with 50 lb test. :tipup:
Sounds like a carp to me.....

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2008, 08:51 AM »
Sounds like a carp to me.....

Another "Didn't expect it"
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline hauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2008, 09:41 AM »
Another "Didn't expect it"
Tell me about it !!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2008, 11:14 AM »
there are asian grass carp in my favorite lake to control the weeds. these things get HUGE. i hope i catch one when i don't expect it. i saw some about 40-45 inches! :o
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2008, 11:18 AM »
Hauler failed to mention that the heroic deed was carried out on 2# TEST LINE!!!!!!!!!

WTG Hauler!!!!!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2008, 11:22 AM »
WOW
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2008, 12:16 PM »
Riley,
 Did you ice the splake? I was not sure if you got any
Yeah i ended up actually catching one. I caught two others but the slippery sons a bi***es slipped right back into the hole.
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2008, 06:31 PM »
Hauler failed to mention that the heroic deed was carried out on 2# TEST LINE!!!!!!!!!

WTG Hauler!!!!!

What did that go, about 25 lbs?

I would have gotten all excitedand snapped it off.     I am in awe.
 You must have alot of patience

Offline hauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2008, 07:13 AM »
What did that go, about 25 lbs?

I would have gotten all excitedand snapped it off.     I am in awe.
 You must have alot of patience
Well I had some help keeping me calm , another buddy was there to talk me down.....Never weighed it but it was all of 20 # ...I actually caught another that same day but it was much smaller. One last confession .......the 2# line was fireline.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2008, 07:16 AM »
i'm with jimmy. i would have been a mess! that's a great suprise, fireline or not! ;D

Offline hauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2008, 07:30 AM »
Thanks guys , no doubt I was pumped ! Definately the highlight of my season....

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2008, 07:38 PM »
What aboot your ginormous crappie????  Any luck wit that?

M.I.R.C. 

Offline hauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 31, 2008, 06:44 AM »
I didnt get the 16 in I was looking for so the quest continues....Its almost primetime now , Just waiting for the ice to clear.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.