The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: DO YOU FISH ALONE?!?  (Read 3243 times)

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: DO YOU FISH ALONE?!?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:34 PM »
I'm 26, and work a fairly stressful job.  So I spend most days/nights in my shanty alone to get away!  However I am not against having a fishing partner or two, just typically is my retreat time.  This is the first year I have committed to seriously ice fishing, which means like 2-3 times each week.

This is also why I enjoy hunting so much, but it's so difficult downstate.  Used to the Northern Michigan!
Flag up!

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:40 PM »
open and ice i fish alone 80 percent of the time

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:44 PM »
I like both, I have great bud's to fish with but enjoy peace at times. Was just out today by myself in the storm here in Chesterfield Mi, and it was so relaxing I wanted to take a nap lol
Charles E.

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 04, 2015, 07:18 AM »
I love being alone on the ice for the peace and quiet. my concentration is always better, resulting in more fish. But as I get older, I love watching others catch fish. It's so much fun to share the experience. Now fishing with my grandson is on a whole different level! ;D

Offline sbooy42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2015, 07:54 AM »
I don't mind it... usually call a guy or two if someone else can make it, cool...

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish whispering since 1962
« Reply #35 on: Mar 04, 2015, 10:43 AM »
If I fish alone, I can brag about the fish I didn't actually catch.
If I fish alone, there's nobody to pull my sled.
If I fish alone, no one is there to see the fish that I did actually catch.
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline essox hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Mar 04, 2015, 10:58 AM »
I don't mind it... usually call a guy or two if someone else can make it, cool...
That is what I do call and if no one can go I go alone.
fished alone a lot up until last yr then couple buddies got into ice fishing more and started coming.
its fun to fish with buddies,but sometimes id rather be alone,i can do my own thing and fish where I want to.i always worry about the buddies that are not quite in shape to walk along ways.when they start lagging way behind and taking breaks I sacrifice my hot spots for easy to walk to spots.
I also got buddies that cancel last minute,or don't show up on time and I leave without them.
got another buddy that I say ill pick u up at 6 and when I get there hes still dinking around and doesn't have his stuff ready.so maybe I like fishing solo better ::)

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:27 AM »
I used to have a few great buds to ice fish with. nowadays it's to cold, I did not buy a new coat, don't have good boots, I don't like your shanty but will not buy one for myself, and on and on!
so my best fishing partner is my old man! we move slow, get sore easily, but enjoy our time together. when my friend want's to go, we can never agree on a place to fish 90% of the time! a guy I taught how to ice fish for eye's 20 years ago.

redhorseking.... Sound to me like you have the best fishing partner ever... Cherish these fishing days with the "old man" as they will become your best memories ever. I have a million fishing and hunting memories with mine. And every one puts a smile on my face. He is gone now, and fishing just is not the same. But these memories last forever. And every time I go out, he is with me. So I never fish alone.
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline bluegil67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 04, 2015, 08:45 PM »
Really enjoy fishing alone but love fishing with my 2 boys - 17 and 14. They have become really accomplished fisherman in the past few years. The tables have turned and now and  they do the difficult stuff for the old man - kind of nice not to have to do everything when we hit the ice. Now that I thought about it, I prefer fishing with the boys to fishing alone.

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #39 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:51 AM »
if you fish on a lake and theres other people around, technically your not fishing alone. Sometimes other people try to turn fishing into a competition, which is annoying as hell. Dont like hearing phone conversations either. St Clair has the coast guard, which makes it a safe place to fish in my opinion. If you have some good drugs, you can tag along, otherwise buzz off. lol no pun intended. Pretty women are more than welcome too.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline scotthey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:08 PM »
I actually prefer to fish alone but always find myself with someone. I'll probably miss that someday when I am actually forced to go alone.

That's how these things work I've found.
You never know how strong you are until strong is the only option you have.

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 07, 2015, 09:16 PM »
fish alone half the time nowadays my fishing buddies are either getting too old to fish 3 times a week or are just not interested in the sport as they once were, either way I like to have someone to talk to once in a while

Offline PanFi$her

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 08, 2015, 10:58 AM »
I always look forward to fishing with my brother!

Offline fizzocyst

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:56 PM »
Almost always. I've only lived in Michigan a few years so I don't have a ton of friends. I miss fishing with my dad. We used to go a lot when I was younger. He taught me how to fish. He had a stroke a few years back and i don't know if he'd be able to get out now. We live in different states now too. But I have a 41/2  year old that I'm looking forward to fishing with this summer. He got a few last year.

Offline Able2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 11, 2015, 11:33 PM »
It's getting that time of year where fishing alone is dangerous. Spudded through in a weak spot today. Be sure to bring rope, ice picks, and flotation devices if possible now. It's getting a little iffy on the lakes I fish. B careful everyone!!

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 12, 2015, 06:10 AM »
Ice is always dangerous my friend.  I love to fish alone as well as with someone.  Probably 50/50 but I never treat it as safer when I with someones. 

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #46 on: Mar 12, 2015, 06:57 AM »
I Took some ice picks and put my already waterproof cell phone in a zip lock yesterday. Also the US Coast Guard was all over LSC like a hot rash, as well as the Air National Guard. Late ice in rural areas could be dangerous, with delayed response time from the Fire Dept as volunteers have to get to the Fire hall, etc. People on machines seem to push the envelope, seems like 90% of the time they are the ones going for a swim, hard to spud when your driving something. Ice was still 24 inches yesterday, with snowmobiles and four wheelers cruising around. Unless you are physically disabled, you should be travelling on foot here pretty soon.

But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.