The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Saginaw River  (Read 18702 times)

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Saginaw River
« Reply #120 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Going Friday thru Sunday next weekend.Also you can't believe all post on the limits as my guess with the size they caught them on the Bay and want more guys to go to River.Can't wait to go next weekend.Wheres best place for minnows near saginaw?Is Cox still open?

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:45 PM »
When u guys fish the river and bay and dead stick a minnow on a second rod do u just use a small treble hook or something like a Swedish pimple with a minnow

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:46 PM »
When u guys fish the river and bay and dead stick a minnow on a second rod do u just use a small treble hook or something like a Swedish pimple with a minnow

I use small trebles. and a slip rig like for catfishing. if there is current... I use a 3 way swivel rig. I like to keep my minnow alive. some bonus perch come of this style of fishing too!
I toad a soo!

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:46 PM »

On my dead stick I use a small white swedish pimple with a full live minnow. Last few times though that pimple hasn't hit the bottom before my reel starts singin!
Flag up!

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #124 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:16 PM »
Coming back for a return trip march 7th. Caught our fish with a jig tipped on a minnow bouncing it off the bottom. I think the mud cloud on the bottom attracted them and they would hit it on the fall before it hit bottom again. Had many lookers working the jig off the bottom but could not get them to commit. Caught several small eyes snagged under the lower jaw. Think they where trying to get the bait but could not before it hit the bottom and when you lifted it again you would snag them. All keeper fish where hooked in the mouth though. Caught 4 keeps and 11 shorts. That was our groups best presentation that day...may be totally diffrent next trip.

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:18 PM »
my brothers friend just called, caught 3 real good eyes in sagnasty tonight. used live bait rigs!
I toad a soo!

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:02 PM »
i'll be out afternoon till after dark sunday. gonna try a couple things out. my best friend is actually going, so even though we have a plan, the truck might go the other way? gonna be fun to fish w/ him again!  :cookoo: :cookoo:
I toad a soo!

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Mar 01, 2015, 05:14 PM »
was able to get out for a few hours this morning up at the river mouth.  Caught a few shorts with fireballs, but got these 2 on a chrome pimple. Bite died off right as the mass of humanity invaded the ice about 8:45. Had a truck parked 40ft from me in the river when I left.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #128 on: Mar 01, 2015, 06:28 PM »
nice fish guys!.Just a heads up the dnr suggests you  only eat one hand sized fillet every other month from the sag river.
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Mar 01, 2015, 07:33 PM »
nice fish guys!.Just a heads up the dnr suggests you  only eat one hand sized fillet every other month from the sag river.

I only catch and release on the saginaw river...I am fishing for a wall hanger to put above my bed and piss my old lady off!
Flag up!

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Mar 01, 2015, 08:00 PM »

Did they say why this is?

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Mar 01, 2015, 08:50 PM »

Thats a recommendation not many people follow around here during the spawning runs into the river.  They do have the advisory chart posted at many of the accesses though.

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Mar 01, 2015, 08:55 PM »

Lots of different setups for deadsticks. My most successful so far this winter had been a small jighead with a stinger hook fished about a foot off bottom with a live minnow. You can watch the minnow twitching the rod tip.. when it speeds up, something is around. When it dips down and stays there, thats a fish.

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Mar 01, 2015, 08:56 PM »
well, i'm more than safe the way feb. treated me! march is not starting well either. nice catch dean!  :clap:
I toad a soo!

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #134 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:33 AM »

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #135 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:35 AM »
I posted a link to the website for eating safe fish in mi.

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Mar 03, 2015, 07:30 PM »
I posted a link to the website for eating safe fish in mi.

that's it, everyone stop keeping walleyes right now!  :cookoo: :cookoo:
I toad a soo!

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #137 on: Mar 06, 2015, 05:05 PM »
Leaving in the Early am  probably my last road trip until the Detroit river is open. Hope i can hit up some keepers tomarrow.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Mar 06, 2015, 07:31 PM »
Leaving in the Early am  probably my last road trip until the Detroit river is open. Hope i can hit up some keepers tomarrow.
good luck bud!  :icefish:
I toad a soo!

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Mar 07, 2015, 10:35 AM »
Anyone have word on the bite?  I know they were really tight lipped last two weeks...if they were back on, then I am going to head up tomorrow morning. I can't make it next weekend for the closer.
Flag up!

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #140 on: Mar 07, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Fished out of DNR launch at mouth 6am to 5pm  6 people in our group. The bite was very slow I caught 1 @19inches and 6 shorts nothing over 10-12 inches that was the only keeper of our group.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #141 on: Mar 07, 2015, 08:25 PM »
[imgURL=http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/huntindriver80/media/saginaw%20river%20trip%202_zps1t7hs3v1.jpg.html]http://

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #142 on: Mar 07, 2015, 09:53 PM »
nice fish! it's gotta get better w/ the warm up, and i'm ready!  :icefish:
I toad a soo!

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Mar 08, 2015, 10:49 AM »
[imgURL=http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/huntindriver80/media/saginaw%20river%20trip%202_zps1t7hs3v1.jpg.html]http://(Image removed from quote.)

nice fish

Offline PanFi$her

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Mar 08, 2015, 10:54 AM »
Nice

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Mar 08, 2015, 09:38 PM »
got a couple tonight. 18 and 23. both females. got em after 8 pm. and some sheep head. not a bad night.
I toad a soo!

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #146 on: Mar 09, 2015, 05:30 AM »
Cleaned mine yesterday it was a male no eggs.

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:10 PM »
i'm gonna keep going! might need an ice anchor to hold the shanty down on slick ice w/ water on top! yesterday I almost went for a ride!!! :o
I toad a soo!

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Mar 11, 2015, 09:20 AM »
nice job!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.