Author Topic: Exploring blm ponds  (Read 1374 times)

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Exploring blm ponds
« on: Jan 01, 2020, 06:40 PM »
Went out with my dad and brother to explore some ponds on blm land that we havent fished in years. The 1 pond has bass and perch in it. Drilled holes all around the small pond, probably 10 acres or less in size. I never marked a single fish and my brother just caught the 1 bass. Its not a deep pond, 8 feet at most so there is a chance that it had a big die off in recent years. We then went to another pond in the area and it has just perch anymore, uswd to be a really nice rainbow place from what i have heard. The pond is very low anymore, 8 feet, but it used to be twice as big as it is now. Drilled 1 hole in 8 foot of water and found lots of perch but they were very tight lipped due to the sun dropping and the temp dropping as well. But did manage to land 2 in the 20 minutes i fished that pond. I wish it still had perch up to 11-12 inches like it used to but the 2 times i have fished it it seems like 8 inches is a really nice one anymore. Always fun to explore places off the beaten path

safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Exploring blm ponds
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2020, 02:48 PM »
Nice pictures.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2020, 05:07 PM »

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:09 AM »
Always love fishing new spots.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:32 AM »
Always love fishing new spots.

Yep. There are some further north then these too that i want to check out, couple are supposed to have really nice bluegills in them and 1 has crappies, gills, pike and perch in it. Maybe in a couple weeks i can make it up to those ones

Offline woodyeckes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:31 PM »
Little ponds seem to need either slush in the hole or covered up in a shack so no extra light gets down the hole.  Not much area for the fish to move but show little interest in a spotlighted lure or bait.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.