Author Topic: Frozen sled tracks  (Read 2661 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Frozen sled tracks
« on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:37 AM »
Yesterday I got to the lake, and the track on my sled was frozen solid! The snow from last trip had partly melted into a block of ice, and locked up the track. The only thing I had to bust it out was the slide across rod that locks down the skis on my old trailer.

I assume that this is a common problem most places- I live at low altitude, and fish at 5000', so I can let mine melt out at home, but those that live colder places, or fish multiple days must have found a good solution to this issue.

Is there something to do to get rid of this snow on an open trailer? I know that is why many have an enclosed, heated trailer.

What tool do you use to free the track if it freezes up? A hammer? Is there a trick?

:tipup:

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Frozen sled tracks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:41 AM »
If you pick up track and drop it a couple of times it'll knock a bunch of that stuff loose and then suspend the track and run it it'll throw the loose stuff out, do this before you load up for the day, should take care of the problem.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2020, 01:48 PM »
Yes a very common problem.  If you have a lite machine you might be able to pick it up and bounce it up and down by yourself, with a 600 lb plus machine like mine it takes two people to pick up the back end, either way that usually helps, but not always.  I carry a hammer to break the ice off while we are fishing if we have been running through slush, if you do this be careful not to get carried away and break a bogey wheel.  In those conditions if you do not remove any large chunks of frozen ice from the top of the tunnel and it happens to break loose while you riding the machine, it can come loose and lock up the track, possibly breaking your drive belt (I have had it happen).  It is also a good idea to back the machine up first (if you have reverse) before taking off, doing this may help to clear out any ice that may be lodged closer to the drive.

I spend several nights in the winter at the cabin, have learned it is best to address the situation (hopefully) as soon as I come in from fishing, before the snow completely freezes in the evening, otherwise you might end up spending a lot of time in the morning beating ice out before the machine will move.  My favorite solution is to just drive the snowmobile in my shop let it melt off.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2020, 05:00 PM »
You need one of these for the end of the day,  jack it up and spin the track to get all the stuff out and leave it suspended.  https://www.royaldistributing.com/maxx-jackstand-012-917.html

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2020, 08:55 AM »
I carry a high lift jack in my trailer with a base kit, makes a great track stand.

Sometimes I do saddlebag trips with my sled and I will carry a rubber mallet with me to knock ice off.

Also, if your sled is liquid cooled and the tunnel freezes up tight, just start your sled and basically run it until it starts overheating. It will take a while, but the tunnel will get warm and ice will be easier to remove.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.