Author Topic: Polaris/Otter ice shack  (Read 2614 times)

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Polaris/Otter ice shack
« on: Jan 23, 2019, 09:19 PM »
  Does anyone have the Polaris otter lodge ice shack?    If so, how do you like it and are their any modifications you would make.

I am on the fence on buying one.  I already have the Otter cabin and like it only wish it was bigger.  Wanted a shack to fit inside my topper on a short box pickup.   On the Polaris otter shack, wish you could lower the tailgate and use that for a seat.

Any input from owners of the Polaris shack

Offline Panfisher78

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Polaris/Otter ice shack
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2019, 08:21 AM »
Thought I’d revive this dead post. Just got a Ranger and thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these this year. Anyone have any reviews? Not a whole lot online given the fact it’s a fairly new product, expensive and specific to one machine

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2019, 09:22 AM »
Things to consider:
Where do you put your gear, auger, tackle, heater etc. No room for gear in tub.

At 26 sq ft fishing area 50% of the area is consumed with chairs, heater, tackle, bait. That leaves about 13 sq. Ft. for holes.

Ranger weight is around 1,400#. Add a few 100# for gear and another 400 for 2 guys, you need 8" ice for safe travel. Kinda kills early ice fishing on 4" to 8" of ice.

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2019, 02:42 PM »
on the other hand, the ranger can go places earlier than a truck and farther/easier than a person could walk for a day trip. it's a niche product, for sure, but could be useful for people that don't want the risk of driving a truck on ice but want the convenience and comfort of an enclosed cab.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2019, 04:11 PM »
I was hoping that you could lower the tailgate and sit on that.   Looked at acouple and spoke with owners decided to not get one due to no more room than my clam cabin

Offline Panfisher78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2019, 06:47 PM »
I looked at one last year but only briefly.  It was hooked up on a display Ranger at a dealership.  It appeared as though you could fish two fairly comfortably as long as you put the gear you weren’t using in the bed of the Ranger.  Two chairs, two flashers and heater didn’t look to be a problem.  One of the promo pics for it shows the guy having a lot of his stuff in the bed with it folded up

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.