Author Topic: Shooting tip ups?  (Read 5162 times)

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shooting tip ups?
« on: Mar 19, 2006, 11:52 AM »
A guy not too far from me has been selling and got an international patent for tip ups he designed that shoot blanks, (starter pistol blanks) instead of flags. They have been selling here in Sweden. About 50,000 tip ups are sold in Sweden a year, I have no idea how many he sells of this type, but they are on the shelves and in catalogs here. I read an article that says the first patent for a tip up in America was 1883 from tiffanys. right or wrong, I don't know.

But I was wondering if their used in America? I do not know if I would be interested in using them, looks like a lot to fidget with when you can just use a flag.

Here is the article in Swedish, but you can look at the pictures.

http://www.st.nu/fiske/reportage/angeldon.html

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Shooting tip ups?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2006, 12:42 PM »
Sounds like a decent idea if it didn't spook 'em.  Would be really nice when you're sitting in the portable w/ a tipup out. 

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2006, 01:10 PM »
Ok..I cant read that....Does this tip-up have a flag as well or just the gun shot...If no flag what do you do if you have 5 tip-ups all out and the shot goes off..Do would have no idea which one whent off

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2006, 01:17 PM »
Ok..I cant read that....Does this tip-up have a flag as well or just the gun shot...If no flag what do you do if you have 5 tip-ups all out and the shot goes off..Do would have no idea which one whent off

Good question, from what I gather and see at the stores... there is no flag, one of the reasons he made it was because the shots are cheaper than flags.. how? I don't know.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2006, 01:23 PM »
i have a real problem with any tip up design in which the reel is not in the water...it is gonna freeze up everytime you get your line wet.

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2006, 04:09 PM »
i have a real problem with any tip up design in which the reel is not in the water...it is gonna freeze up everytime you get your line wet.

right on... :)

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2006, 05:10 PM »

I agree as well...seems like in Sveeden (intentionally misspelled) they'd have it at least as cold as us here in upstate NY..I wouldn't use any tipup where the reel was out of the water....guess my old lakers survived another round of "new and improved"....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2006, 05:26 PM »
I don't know there is just something about a hot organge flag poping up waving in the wind. You know what I thought would be funny though is a little clip on recorder type thing like some people use to remember where their car is in the parking lot. Make it motion activated and record whatever you want it to play I think I would laugh every time it went off.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2006, 05:34 PM »
Man and I thought this was a topic about another one that changed sides. :)
Thought we got another jig fisherman  because they decided they couldnt stand tipups anymore and shot them all :)

Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2006, 05:47 PM »
pfft blanks? load it with a 12. shell and get a double whamy on the gees that are headin back north  :tipup:
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2006, 06:12 PM »
pfft blanks? load it with a 12. shell and get a double whamy on the geese that are headin back north  :tipup:

ROFLMAO fishingonly2002, ya beat me to it, that's what I was thinkin' too!  Fish on the tip up and geese on the ice!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2006, 06:25 PM »
Mille Lacs would sound like Iraq, it might not spook the fish, but it would shure spook other fishermen.

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2006, 06:54 PM »
Even better... head to south of the border and pick up some shells. when the flag goes off launch a good sized firework. That would keep it interesting.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2006, 07:10 PM »
Thought we got another jig fisherman  because they decided they couldnt stand tipups anymore and shot them all :)

EE-yuh, right!  One pike equals 50 perch..jigging was invented to fill in time between flags on tipups...you got another "jig fisher" all right....sitting in the shack, waiting for a pike to bite you off..oh wait, there's staring at the Vex also!!  Nothing like taking "in" all that great scenery around by sitting in a closet and staring at a round screen.....LOL!!!Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2006, 08:34 PM »
Esox, I resemble that remark. Mostly a vex jigger myself but always throw out a tip-up, man when that flag goes.................. ...............schwing , insant boner!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Esox, I resemble that remark. Mostly a vex jigger myself but always throw out a tip-up, man when that flag goes.................. ...............schwing , insant boner!!
Ehh... I don't know as if I'd go that far, but as an avid jigger, I almost always put out tipups, and every time you get a flag its like an instant adrenalin rush becuase you never know whats on the other end, or if something is on the other end. But then agian, Lakers are sooo awesome to jig. Bah, its a tossup, why be either a diehard jigger or tip up fisherman, when you can do both! ;D
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2006, 02:01 AM »
Strange you can tell its getting close to ice out! Tip ups that go off.  It has a new meaning to CAST and BLAST.

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2006, 07:05 AM »
every time you get a flag its like an instant adrenalin rush because you never know whats on the other end, or if something is on the other end.

I hear ya AirMan!  I like my peace and quiet (most of the time) when I'm out on the ice and glancing around at your traps for flags is part of the game.  Not sure if I'd like all that shootin' goin on!
Besides, how do you know which trap "went off"??  Is there also a flag on them?  I couldn't tell from the website.  It is an interesting concept though... to each his own!   ;D
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

PIKEGUY

« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2006, 07:48 AM »

ROFLMAO. I haven't heard "schwing" in a while. ;D

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2006, 08:08 AM »
Swede,
      My father is an antique fishing/hunting collector.  He had a bunch of tipups that shot 22 blanks and were made in the 1800s.  They were made in Theresa NY, I believe by Eggleston, and they had a pattent.  I can find out more from him if you want to know.  I searched the internet for them without any luck.  Must be rare, I think he ended up getting $250 a piece for them.

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2006, 09:12 AM »
one problem  tho if u got a bunch of them out and one goes off how do u kno wich one when toff is ther a flag to? ???
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 20, 2006, 10:29 AM »
Swede,
      My father is an antique fishing/hunting collector.  He had a bunch of tipups that shot 22 blanks and were made in the 1800s.  They were made in Theresa NY, I believe by Eggleston, and they had a pattent.  I can find out more from him if you want to know.  I searched the internet for them without any luck.  Must be rare, I think he ended up getting $250 a piece for them.

Wow, thats along time ago. Maybe the patent ran out? The article states he hired an international company to search for patents. but 250 bucks!  :o Yep, must be rare.

That would be cool to know, but Ill leave the tip up business to those in the tip up business. I'm not looking to to send up any flags ;)

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2006, 03:03 PM »

:roflmao:

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2006, 12:10 PM »
And you guys complain about snowmobiles driving a hundred yards away! Imagine a .22 crack going off every time you get a bite. IMHO, it would be enough to make a walleye drop the bait and run, at least a smart one.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Sir Catchalot

« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2006, 02:53 PM »
What about all the empty brass cartridges that would inevitably be finding their way to the bottom of our lakes?

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2006, 03:11 PM »
i've attached small brass bells to my tip up flags arms. they clang pretty good and get your attention quick if you are daydreaming (about the next flag perhaps)
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

MikeThePike

« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2006, 03:06 PM »
And you guys complain about snowmobiles driving a hundred yards away! Imagine a .22 crack going off every time you get a bite. IMHO, it would be enough to make a walleye drop the bait and run, at least a smart one.
That would defiantly keep them away if they heard it but would most likely also get the cops involved. Of course the snowmobilers would never admit to being too close but would sure as h*ll say you were shooting at them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.