Author Topic: Stretching out  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
Stretching out
« on: Mar 16, 2006, 01:07 PM »
Dang, I can hardly walk. After spending the day pulling my sled and walking a few miles thru thick snow on ice.. having an 8 inch auger for chasing perch is not the smartest.. but hey, its all I got right now. Any way, I knew I was getting one heck of a work out.

Have any of you not realized you screwed up your back or pulled a muscle till after your home and resting? I sure tore my left hamstring in a bad way.

For sure... I am going to stretch out a little before I head out on the ice for now on. This is ridiculous, I know I could have avoided the whole thing with less than five minutes of stretching. There is a lot more physical activity in ice fishing than most people give it credit for.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Stretching out
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2006, 01:32 PM »
 Take a couple of advil and ice it for about 20 minutes a couple of times a day.

And oh yes call me in the morning :D :D

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2006, 08:45 PM »
Alieve is the way to go. I took two took a two hr nap and felt like a new man

Offline zgoz89

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The bone collector
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2006, 09:26 PM »
All you need to do is just grab a can of silicon and keep the bottom of your jetsled all lubed up! Ive always thought of doing that but i never actually have. I wonder if it would work?
A Couple Reasons Why Fishing is Better Than Sex!

1. Nobody expects you to Fish with the same partner for the rest of your life

2. There are no Fishing-transmitted diseases.

3. If your partner takes pictures or videotapes of you Fishing,you don't have to worry about them showing up on the Internet if you become famous.

4. It's perfectly respectable to Fish with a total stranger.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2006, 10:22 PM »
Swede....go out the next day and do the same and your troubles will melt away.havnt you ever heard the saying .....walk it off :P

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2006, 02:42 AM »
I got to walk it off. Once I get going and stay busy all is workable. Its when I stop for awhile that it gets me. Then I have to listen to the wife laugh calling me Grandpa as I hobble around  :wacko:.  One thing  learned is that I got to get a smaller auger too. Being really mobile and having to drill all the way down to wear I have to be on my knees, using an 8 inch manual auger.. for perch is needless extra work and overkill... I'm hoping for some summer sales coming.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2006, 09:32 AM »
Alieve works great for me. It always amazes me when people say to me, how can you go out there and sit on a bucket all day and watch those silly little flags. I usually say go try it sometime, They don't have a clue how much work it can be. Just drlling 50 holes in a day with a power auger and 10lbs of extra clothing in minus temps can be a work out.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2006, 11:16 AM »
I should probably stretch more often.  Right now my pre icefishing stretching is limited to rolling over and stretching towards the alarm clock to turn it off....

...and that's a stretch! ;D
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2006, 11:02 PM »
  Quit yer whinning! ;D

I was outside raking the darn lawn all day today. Boy do my shoulders hurt :o

Must be nice to still have snow and ice to deal with. Haven't seen either in WNY for at least two weeks.
 Time to get the golf clubs out :)
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2006, 12:12 PM »
Played a singles tennis match yesterday afternoon that lasted 3 hours, 20  minutes....Played singles this morning  for 1 1/2 hours then took a 1 1/12 hour group lesson......my feet hurt!

I spent a good half hour stretching out and another half hour warming up both days.  You have to do these things to avoid injuries.....especiall y at my age.

Right now I'm stretched out......on the couch ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline WntrMrngWood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2006, 12:25 PM »
as a PE teacher, i can't preach it enough.  you get the most out of it if you do a little warm up first, as simple as brisk walking for a few minutes.  then stretch all those major muscle groups.....legs, arms, back, shoulders, neck.  hold at least 10 seconds.  you'll notice it in a week or so.............and be thankful in your older age when you're still chasing flags.
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!!

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2006, 12:51 PM »
I am a current holder of 4 out of 6 school records in gym, mile run, 100 yard dash, push ups sit ups. the other to were sit/reach type things. I am about as flexible as..... a ptretzl stick..... I dont bend, I break.

it truely is bad though, my lack of flexibility I know has caused some injuries which could have been avoided with some stretching before the activity.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline keyholeiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • OH where OH where are the fish?
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2006, 01:12 PM »
  AT this stage of the game the only thing I  can strech is my imagination.  how am I  going to get this 30 pounder up through this 8 inch hole

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2006, 01:16 PM »
haha, sretch the fish!!!!!!! stretch is the key!

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline keyholeiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • OH where OH where are the fish?
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2006, 01:46 PM »
haha, sretch the fish!!!!!!! stretch is the key!

~Neal
             FUNNNNEE  nice to see some one with a sense of humor.  some times people are way too serious about this fishing thing. unless of course you have a tendancy to "stretch" the truth.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2006, 02:02 PM »
Never let the truth get in the way of a good "stretch"  ;D
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2006, 02:20 PM »
I am a current holder of 4 out of 6 school records in gym, mile run, 100 yard dash, push ups sit ups. the other to were sit/reach type things. I am about as flexible as..... a ptretzl stick..... I dont bend, I break.

it truely is bad though, my lack of flexibility I know has caused some injuries which could have been avoided with some stretching before the activity.

~Neal
Sounds like you're to young to be posting on this site. Do your parents know what you're up to :D

An "old fisherman"   ;D
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.