Author Topic: Good or bad idea?  (Read 510 times)

Offline ymustuknow

• IceShanty Rookie
Good or bad idea?
« on: Aug 18, 2013, 11:38 PM »
Hello all,
  I just purchased a Clam Big Foot XL4000T, and was wondering if using a spray on water proofing would aid or hurt?  The water proofing I was looking at is designed for tents, it's by 3M, and says that still allows the fabric to breath.  What do you think?

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Good or bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2013, 01:14 AM »
Do you know if it leaks or not? if it aint broke dont fix it. The main problem with protables is the inevitable condensation that develops on the inside due to propane heat. Just bring a towel to keep your hands dry and hit the ceiling from time to time when the condensation starts to drip, and i think youll be fine.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2013, 07:24 AM »
mine both leak badly at the seams, but they are Shappell made. fx150 (leaks the worst) and s3000 all the windows leak a ton of water if it rains. the windows need a rainfly flap. you can see day light through the seams. the owner at Shappell told me to use a seam sealer as did the lady who answers the phones there at Shappell.
all anyone who builds tents NEEDS to do is use the seam sealer strip while sewing them together.
i did buy a product (not what mike at Shappell suggested) as it is what our local shoe repair man suggested and it works so far. i had been using it all along on other items as well. its called atsko silicon water guard. orange cap on white can. i keep several cans handy and will retreat the seams before hand this season too.
i use a dry cloth on the windows if i use heat. i stand them up to dry completely before long term storage.

Offline ymustuknow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2013, 11:46 AM »
Thank you all for your responses, I will take your advice and leave it be for now.  If it starts to leak I will revisit this.   :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.