Author Topic: What Kind of Auger should I buy?  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Yogafish

• IceShanty Rookie
What Kind of Auger should I buy?
« on: Jan 23, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Hey Y'all! I'm new to ice fishing and have been borrowing others gear and augers until I knew I liked it enough to invest in it. I am ready to get my own.

I have a basic fishing pole, hooks, and some other basics for summer fishing casting off the shore.

I think I'll invest in a auger first but will admit I don't even know what to ask for to get good stuff. Please help me!

Being a newbie to Ice fishing and a lady I'm just going to say I am not hardcore. I really enjoy this and want to get the right gear so I can continue ice fishing regularly. Any other suggestions y'all have are greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What Kind of Auger should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2013, 02:54 PM »
spud bar first than the auger. click on the sponsors above and most augers are better than none.

Offline jerrife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:03 PM »
You can't go wrong with a jiffy, bought a used model 30 years ago and with little maintenance it has never let me down ;D
           :thumbsup: BUBBA ARMY :thumbsup:

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Strikemaster lazer mag. 2 stroke.
Master Laker taker.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:16 PM »
X2 on the strikemaster. mine was built in 96 and still going strong. if you are not wanting a power auger  look at a strikemaster lazer six inch hand auger. probably the best hand auger outside of a nils at half the price

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Yogafish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:19 PM »
X2 on the strikemaster. mine was built in 96 and still going strong. if you are not wanting a power auger  look at a strikemaster lazer six inch hand auger. probably the best hand auger outside of a nils at half the price

Thank you. I think a hand auger is the way to go for me and that looks perfect. :)

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Take a look at the ING battery auger.  Got one and it is great!!!  They say one charge is good for 40 holes in 2 FT of ice.  Haven't got that  much ice but 50 holes in 6" of ice is no problem.  Charges quickly, from "dead" to full charge in 3 hours.  Also very very light which is why I got it after my last heart attack.

Offline Yogafish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:22 PM »
spud bar first than the auger. click on the sponsors above and most augers are better than none.

I googled it and I guess I dont understand what spud bars are..

Offline Steelhead#Onthefly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:23 PM »
It really depends on how much money you are willing to put towards it.  If you have a lot then go with a gas powered auger, they are much more effective.  But hand operated ones work fine, and is much less expensive. I've used one of those for a long time and I bought a gas one last year.

Offline Yogafish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Take a look at the ING battery auger.  Got one and it is great!!!  They say one charge is good for 40 holes in 2 FT of ice.  Haven't got that  much ice but 50 holes in 6" of ice is no problem.  Charges quickly, from "dead" to full charge in 3 hours.  Also very very light which is why I got it after my last heart attack.

This is helpful too. Thank you

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:25 PM »
Yogafish the spud bar has two uses to check ice thickness/strength as you walk ,it also can reopen frozen over old holes or cut new ones. Once the ice thickness is over six inches this becomes a chore , I would recommend you look through the auger section of the Equipment community. Personally I own a Strike Master lazer model depending at what species of fish you are targeting  a six inch diameter hole size will cover must situations. The larger the diameter the more work to cut the holes.. Keep your auger blades sharp do not bang auger on ice surface to remove any stuck on ice shavings carefully remove them by hand from cutting blades.
  One bit of advice if you go with Strike Master stay away from their Mora style models they are made in China . Many reports on here about poor quality, blades not sharp from right out of box/do not Maintain their sharpness. The Lazer models are made in Sweden, buy the basic rather then spend extra dollars for the new synthetic augers.(see how people like there performance ,how durable they are etc. ) the synthetic is lighter then the regular in weight I just wonder about it's durability. The country of manufacture is stamped on the blades and also is on the box auger is sold in when purchasing a new one.
   A spud bar is also know as an ice chisel. Check out any of the Ice shanty sponsors website of the places the carry ice fishing equipment. Personally recommend Fish 307 in Lake George,NY. Usually will have order within a week.

Steve

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:38 PM »
if a hand auger is what u think would be best i would recommend a nils but they are top of the line if you think there a bit to pricey then i would recommend a 7" mora,the lazers are good but they seem to bind a bit when finishing off the hole. now if your in the market for a power auger eskimo all the way,the most reliable augers i'v ever owned,and i'v owned jiffy and my brother has owned strikemaster.going on 14 years with my first eskimo and 4th year on my second eskimo,both are sharks,the older 1 has 8" bit the new 1 is 10",good luck with your purchase in whatever you choose

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2013, 03:39 PM »
I just bought an Eskimo Mako. Really a good auger for $279. Worth a look. lots of satisfied customers.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:10 PM »
The kind you can afford.. some of the newer augers go for big bucks !
Hard Ice

Offline wetsleeves

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:13 PM »
I run a nils hand auger but have been around just about every power auger out there at one time or another.  If I had my choice of any new power auger it would be the new 8" Strikemaster Honda 4 Stroke

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:19 PM »
I googled it and I guess I dont understand what spud bars are..
Google "ice chisel" it's the same thing

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:23 PM »
I too run a Niles hand auger. When the ice gets thick I throw on the Ice Gator. That thing can drill holes... and no messing with gas and oil.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:41 PM »
ION electric. Lightweight and powerful.

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Id go with a Nils hand auger. Once you effortlessly drill through 11" of ice you never even consider owning a gas auger.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:42 PM »
StrikeMaster Lazer Mag.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:52 PM »

well yoga fish with all the responses did you get the info you were looking for  ;D  it's a  ford ,chevy thing  ;)

Offline WELL.......

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:19 PM »
Strike master laser
THATS RIGHT I SAID IT........AND I MEANT IT !!!

Offline 10bucketbigwillie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:31 PM »
 strikemaster lazor hand auger if you fish onlly pan fish get small one.

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:38 PM »
If you look around this site and elsewhere online you will see that Jiffy has had A LOT of problems with their carbs and gas caps leaking. Strike Masters have fewer problems for some reason. I own a Jiffy model 30 and it is very fickle, my next auger will not be a Jiffy. Just my $.02

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:43 PM »
With hand augers some have the top handle as a knob that is on line with the auger and a handle that you rotate around to make it work.  Others have 2 handles and both are offset from the shaft. You have to rotate both handles around the centreline of the shaft.  Once you get the hang of it it is less tiring as both arms get in on the action.

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:50 PM »
Well I guess the size of auger depends on what you fish for. 6 inch is a all round good size for most fishing. The other factor is how much ice you are going to be drilling though, a 5 inch bit will be be much easier to drill but depends on what you fish for. Will you be using a fish locator in said hole?

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:06 PM »
If ya go for a gas auger you won't be disappointed with a strikemaster. My laser mag has taken a serious beating, fallen off of sled twice going 60mph down the trail, drills more holes in a day then most people drill in a month and its nice and light. Hand auger nils or a strikemaster would be the choice if it were me.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:13 PM »

well yoga fish with all the responses did you get the info you were looking for  ;D  it's a  ford ,chevy thing  ;)

HaHa..ford, chevy..Last rides are in Cadillacs!! :woot:

Offline TightlineMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:08 AM »
Yogafish, you may want to consider the weight of augers to help make your decision. Jiffys and Eskimos can be tanks... no fun to drag on the ice and walk around punching holes. Something like the Nils power auger only weighs 23 lbs. The hand powered Nils is even less of course...

If a manual auger is your fancy, then you can not go wrong with the Nils or a Fin-Bor. Both have off-set handles that make manual drilling a snap. If you are not drilling more than a foot of ice then you really don't need anything other than one of these two hand augers.

Offline IceRaider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:32 AM »
I can't find a single thing on a "ING battery auger". Did you mean ION?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.