Author Topic: Windy weekend ahead  (Read 5893 times)

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Windy weekend ahead
« on: Jan 22, 2021, 11:42 AM »
Knew it was gonna be windy and picked up an Eskimo Quickfish this week to help with that.  But just saw on the news there'll be gusts to 25 mph on Saturday and 20 mph on Sunday.  High of 16 in Laconia with wind chills around zero.  I certainly don't mind the cold, enjoy it really, but I HATE the wind. Anything over 15 mph gives me fits.  Not sure I'll get out tomorrow, maybe a local jaunt on Sunday morning before football.

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Windy weekend ahead
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:01 PM »
I didn't get out last weekend and I'm starting to go stir crazy.  I am headed north and I brought my Bayrunner and my Heater.  Going to give it hell for as long as I can stand it!

Offline Tony Thunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:24 PM »
I fear not the wind in my hardside. Just a heads up, make sure you anchor down your quickfish, and tie out the sides as well. Last year almost got knocked out when a gust came and blew in one of the sides.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:27 PM »
Gonna be a tough one, was planning on trying for some bows again but 25mph winds will likely put me jiggin crappie in the flip over instead. Atleast it's gonna be ice making weather... Good luck out there.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:44 PM »
I fear not the wind in my hardside. Just a heads up, make sure you anchor down your quickfish, and tie out the sides as well. Last year almost got knocked out when a gust came and blew in one of the sides.

Thanks for the advice. 

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:44 PM »
Atleast it's gonna be ice making weather... Good luck out there.
True for the temps. Not so much for the wind. At least not for the spots that are still open. 4 of my big lake go to spots are still open or chunk ice that keeps breaking every time the wind picks up. Guess they won't lock in this weekend.  :'(
Oh well. Plenty of other places to go. ....I'll be out
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:47 PM »
True for the temps. Not so much for the wind. At least not for the spots that are still open. 4 of my big lake go to spots are still open or chunk ice that keeps breaking every time the wind picks up. Guess they won't lock in this weekend.  :'(
Oh well. Plenty of other places to go. ....I'll be out

Very true Jason, the open spots will likely break up... All my typical spots are locked but thin...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:56 PM »
Sunday doesn't look as bad. I'll be out Sunday, but the wind forecast is always understated at this particular spot.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2021, 01:13 PM »
I went this morning and planning on going Sunday. I’ll be bringing the clam now that I read this. Today was a great day but definitely cold. Thinking about getting a different hat. My Bennie let’s misguide out from running around like a chicken on the ice, freezes up. I saw a fancy clam Bennie the other day at Dicks with a nice liner and a little ball on top! I think I’m gonna splurge!

Good luck to everyone this weekend!!!!
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2021, 01:28 PM »
Gonna be a tough one, was planning on trying for some bows again but 25mph winds will likely put me jiggin crappie in the flip over instead. Atleast it's gonna be ice making weather... Good luck out there.

That’s what I’m doing
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2021, 04:36 PM »

Please tell me about jigging for crappie (or pannies in general). I'm going to take my flipover to a warmwater fishery tomorrow. Pointers would be appreciated.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2021, 04:59 PM »
Wind was absolutely brutal here (not NH) this morning too, but the shallow panfish bite was pretty good until about 930am. Definitely a shelter fishing kind of day with gusts of 30+mph. Had the DX anchored down, but the windward side door was flapping pretty good in the gale.

After 930 they moved off deeper like the flip of a switch and the ice over the deeper water wasn't solid enough to follow them. Gonna give it another go tomorrow, and with the temps bottoming out around 5° tonight to help firm up the ice, I might be able to follow them a bit deeper once the sun gets up higher.

As for tips, the panfish usually run close to the bottom pretty shallow early, then move down a bit deeper as the day goes on. Small jig with a bit of worm, waxie, or similar artificial usuall does the job. I was pegging them on Gulp waxies and 3/4" fry plastics 6-12" off the bottom in 4FOW.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2021, 05:08 PM »
Please tell me about jigging for crappie (or pannies in general). I'm going to take my flipover to a warmwater fishery tomorrow. Pointers would be appreciated.

Crappie are probably the toughest of the panfish, they move around a lot depending on light levels typically suspending in deeper water during the daylight and heading shallow when dark. Having a fish finder or flasher helps a bunch, but without electronics the basic plan is a small jig with a little meat on it, could be a wax worm, spike, a piece of trout worm or crawler, you can also cut up a shiner and use little pieces of it. Drop your jig to the bottom then lift and drop bouncing it on the bottom to draw attention a couple times then reel up a foot or so and just let it sit for a few seconds then give it a wiggle and sit still again, keep doing that until something grabs it. That method will likely land more yellows and blue gills but they all taste great.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2021, 05:25 PM »
Also, don't forget you can't put meat on a treble hook, gotta switch to a single point.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:06 PM »
Last weekend I got out on Sunday and the wind was brutal. And the wind ain’t quitting because it’s gonna be brutal again!!  Still heading out though
Tight Lines!

Offline Fishflesh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:05 PM »
Heading north, lots of propane, hot coffee  and rope to tie down the quickfish2.  Fishing in the wind is a whole different ball game.  Tends to separate the men from the boys.  Oh yeah, also bringing the snowmobile to play on if the bite gets slow  ;D

Offline Panzertank831

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:14 PM »
Heading north, lots of propane, hot coffee  and rope to tie down the quickfish2.  Fishing in the wind is a whole different ball game.  Tends to separate the men from the boys.  Oh yeah, also bringing the snowmobile to play on if the bite gets slow  ;D
I've got the same plan minus a snow mobile. Going to shoot for camping on the ice in my portable but might call it at dusk if the wind is making it rough..

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2021, 08:16 PM »
Changed my mind and I'm going out until about noon tomorrow for lakers because I need to go to the dump before 3. Good luck to everyone this weekend, and make sure to post pictures.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2021, 04:07 AM »
Hate the wind but we will be out there ..
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2021, 06:59 AM »
I will be out.  Small ponds sheltered from NW wind this weekend, flip over, heater, noodle rods + panfish.  High pressure, blue skies - so expecting fussy fish, but better than sitting on the couch.  That's my plan anyway.

My flip over got beat up in the Meredith derby - what was it 2 years ago?  I remember guys were using rocks on shore to hold their tip ups down in the hole. Man, that was windy.  I need to sew up my shelter this AM, then should be good to go for this afternoon.  It can't be worse than that right?  I can fish in anything for a few hrs, so plan on hitting the ice for sunset bite + then back home for dinner.

Got out yesterday for a quick trip near home.  Ice in Southern NH got beat up pretty well last weekend w/ the rain + warm temps.  I found 4" of ice, but not great quality.  Can see where rain eroded some shorelines & cut ice to get to outflow.  Not uniform at all.  Snow last night will make it all look the same so watch your step. Will be headed north again this weekend.

Good luck everyone.  :tipup:

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2021, 07:25 AM »
Its F@#$kin brutal out here!
My eskimo lasted 7 years, even through the 60 mph winds during derby a few years ago.
But it fell victim to a broken pole this morning.
A little duct tape and we're still in business, at least for the time being.
Guess I'll be buying that new Outbreak I wanted ;D
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2021, 07:35 AM »
She's a bit raw in the wind lol... I've got the otter staked down in 3 spots, took a couple quick walks hole hopping... back in the shack jigging now. Couple crappie, couple bass. Kinda slow.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2021, 07:52 AM »
She's a bit raw in the wind lol... I've got the otter staked down in 3 spots, took a couple quick walks hole hopping... back in the shack jigging now. Couple crappie, couple bass. Kinda slow.
Wickid slow

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2021, 07:59 AM »
Stay safe and warm this weekend,
 good luck on the ice.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2021, 09:00 AM »
Catching killer bait lol...

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2021, 10:05 AM »
that thing is a monster good pike bait!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Tony Thunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2021, 11:34 AM »
Got out this morning, was brutal where I was, action normally slow, today was a stand still. Going to eat some lunch and head back out late afternoon

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2021, 02:10 PM »
Still out here. Fished in the flip over for a while and then bumped my buddies hard side out to deeper water. Thank god we did, wind is BRUTAL!!! Couple lakers, super slow
Tight Lines!

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2021, 02:19 PM »
Catching killer bait lol...

Nice one! He'll make great monster bait.

I went out today and got to the lake around quarter past six. Walked close enough to where I wanted to be and ended up with 2 lakers, one 19 inches that I didn't take a picture of because I left my phone in the shack and this little guy that I did photograph because I asked people in this thread to post pictures.

I'll be back out there tomorrow, hopefully with less wind and more fish. It started to get real bad around 11:30.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Still out here. Fished in the flip over for a while and then bumped my buddies hard side out to deeper water. Thank god we did, wind is BRUTAL!!! Couple lakers, super slow
Way to hang in there..I went to the plumbing supply  store at 8, it didn't look bad, and added to.my anxiety..I ran out to the truck at noon to get my phone and saw the big pines dancing and thought: those poor xxxxxxxxxs
.I'll be out in the morning until noon
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.