Author Topic: Good rigs for perch?  (Read 9600 times)

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Taking my girls fishin'
Good rigs for perch?
« on: Mar 10, 2003, 07:59 AM »
Ok we are new at this and I see people tieing two or three jigs in a series with a spoon on the end or a weight on the end.  How do you tie the jigs in series like that?  Is there other rigs that work better?  Can't find any pictures of the knots so I thought I would ask.

Thanks
mike

IceCutter

Re: Good rigs for perch?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2003, 08:43 AM »
Strikemasters,
  I personally just tie them on to the line, and then use a heavier Swedish Pimple on the bottom. A double square knot works for me, and I swear by this method. When jiggin' perch, I find sometimes if you present them a smaller bait, you'll increase your creel. There are days when I catch a majority on the spoon, and others when a majority will take the teardrops.  Good luck

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2003, 09:09 AM »
Thanks!  Think we are going to get off the gills on Conesus and venture out to some new ice in pursuit of the perch.  Heard good things about Sodus?  Might give that a try in the late morning early afternoon Saturday.  Have to try for some pike at Sandy ponds in the am.

laxman48

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2003, 09:13 AM »
the perfect rig is a small jig with a torn to hell minno. works everytime ::)

Offline hollywood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2003, 12:51 PM »
Ever seen a sabiki rig? Its a killer perch rig when their on the bite. Its a salt water bait catching rig with 5-7 flies about 10 inches apart. Clip flies down to 4 to stay legal and use your favorite spoon on bottom. Hook a fish-wait 5 seconds and set hook again. 2 or 3 jumbos at a time feels like a walleye. I also use this rig open water jiggin in stained water. Flies add a ton of movement and help walleye action tremendously when water is cloudy.

Offline spoon-n-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "Original" Perch Pirate
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2003, 01:42 PM »
i have a method which works when they (perch) are biting very light. I tie 3 #10 flies (scud) in purple, brown and tan. Tie direct to the main line. One 3"-4" from the bottom, then 12" up the last one 30" from the bottom. I use the smallest jigging rapala on the bottom for weight. I use a ultra small slip bobber combo to suspend just the flies. when the perch are just mouthing the fly, the bobber starts fluttering in the hole. On occasion if you set the hook and miss on the fly, the rapala is sure to compensate.

rgfixit

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2003, 02:06 PM »
Strikemasters,
Check out   netknots.com

All the fishing knots you'll ever need. Also if you can find it, buy Berkley's Red Book Of Fishing Knots. It's a nice tackle box size book.

When you can tie a Bimini Twist you've graduated...till then you're a novice.

I use either a Dropper loop or a Palomar knot to place jigs/flies inline. It depends on how small the jigs/flies are...The dropper is easier to tie, close to 100% of line strength, and you will learn to keep the loop as small as possible with practice. The palomar is also easy but only on larger hooks (at least for me) and again is close to 100% of line strength. The advantage to the palomar is it connects the jig right to the line with no loop...The loops sometimes get tangled around the main line.

All the posted rigs are great ideas and it goes to show that creativity is the root of fishing success..Experiment... try anything...try everything.

RGFIXIT

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2003, 03:44 PM »
Thanks Guys!  I guess I'll do some home work!  I know the palomar knot so I will put that to use this weekend alnog with trying a few of the new ones that were shared on this post!  Thanks again guys!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2003, 07:30 PM »
what i usually do, is to tie either a heavy jig or hali spoon on the terminal end. i then affix one or two jigs above it by simply making a loop, threading it through the eye of the jig, and then around the jig.

crayfish_bob

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2003, 07:58 PM »
a 1/2 ounce bell sinker on the bottom, two light jigs above, one 6" up , one 12" up.  Tie jigs direct, or make droppers by doubling line over, then wrap it around your finger three times, then put the loop through the hole. Adjust as needed.( practice makes perfect)

Use 20# leader for this.

Tie a barrel swivel 10" above top hook. slide on a slip bobber, small enough to just hold up the jigs.  tie your regular line to the barrel swivel. Now drop to the bottom and add a dentist's gum band to the line by means of a slip knot. adjust so line is just tight.  

Great for 20' of water to 50' of water.

Depths of 20 feet or less, a simple single heavy football type of jig and a hand line is best, Keep it simple. no hooks catching on the edge of the ice.

Just remember you know you have the right weight when your jig bounces , not tugs at the end of the line.

One more tip: One I very seldom see in this area. MOVE if nothing is happening.

Offline STRIKEMASTERS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2003, 04:39 PM »
That was amazing to me too!  I watch the shows on the outdoor channel and they move all over the place but noby seems to move here.  Although I did see a couple of guys going hole to hole on Saturday at Conesus.  Might have to try it this weekend.  Good point crayfish_bob!

Offline IceKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release an a pan full of grease!
Re:Good rigs for perch?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2003, 02:50 PM »
how do you make the dropper rigs?
Its Ice Now!

hole digger

« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2003, 05:03 PM »
My old screen name was crayfish_bob.

There is a ongoing post in the new york general on droppers.
I put together a blurried eyed version of how I tie droppers. (elcheapo camera)

look at :  http://www.bluecrayfish.com/dropper.htm

acsacmboy

« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2003, 10:43 AM »
i think the best rig of perch in shallow water is take the smallest swedish pimple, take a 6 inch piece of line and make a dropper. put a minnow minno head or a perch eye for bait. works every time ;)

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2004, 08:17 AM »
Tear drop lure and a Berklys Pwoerbait Maggot 6 inches from the bottom and When it pulls down you pull up/
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.