Author Topic: how far can fish see?  (Read 5926 times)

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
how far can fish see?
« on: Mar 22, 2005, 07:38 AM »
Lets say water conditions are perfectly clear?how far can fish see?Im sure different fish have different vision?walleye?pike?other tip-up targeted fish?

stump

hali-man

Re: how far can fish see?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:10 AM »
Different fish can see different distances (and colors!).
You'll need a biologist to answer this one, Stump.
In-Fisherman has had several articles on this subject. The one thing I remember is that some species are more sight-orientated, and others react more to vibration...
For example walleyes don't see the shades of blue as well due to the different formation of their eyes...

Offline butterworm

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • the presidents office.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:23 AM »
Different fish can see different distances (and colors!).
You'll need a biologist to answer this one, Stump.
In-Fisherman has had several articles on this subject. The one thing I remember is that some species are more sight-orientated, and others react more to vibration...
For example walleyes don't see the shades of blue as well due to the different formation of their eyes...

they really cannot see that far with . especially with smokin shanty syndrom ;D :tipup:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2005, 11:14 AM »
Lake trout can see pretty well for long distances...not sure about other fish though but panfish typically cant in front of them too well because their eyes are so far on the sides of the head, sometimes on the aqua-vu when it is darker, i will see bluegills completely miss my jig, and also try to suck it in with the corner of their mouth.

Offline Capt..Hook_em

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • CHEERS MATES
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2005, 11:47 AM »
My bass in my fish tank can see me coming 15 ft away when it meal time He starts swimming side to side and butting his head up to the glass My bullhead on the other hand is blind as a bat but makes up for it with his bloodhound sense of smell He could be under the rocks and as soon as I put some food in the tank he swims out and locates it within 5 seconds
ICE PIRATE

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2005, 12:54 PM »
Had a ex-brother-inlaw caught a big gill and raised it in a large aqarium.My nephew would catch it once in a while when he was about 4. Funny!! He had it for a couple of years and mounted it. The fish got trained when walk by it would come to glass looking for food.  Small mouth become pets in a pond. We had a pond we put a few in and would feed them off the dock with minnows. After awhile when you walk on the dock here they would come. You could see them looking up at us.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:18 PM »
Lake trout can see pretty well for long distances...not sure about other fish though but panfish typically cant in front of them too well because their eyes are so far on the sides of the head, sometimes on the aqua-vu when it is darker, i will see bluegills completely miss my jig, and also try to suck it in with the corner of their mouth.
Lakers can see a loooong ways in LG's clear waters! I have noticed that pannies can't see straight ahead too, kinda funny when you're sight fishing them.
Perch and pike can't see well at all at night, that's why they're tough to catch at night.

-Wes

Offline Capt..Hook_em

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • CHEERS MATES
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2005, 08:44 PM »
Anatomy of a Fish 
Image: Florida Fish & Wildlife Scales:  The scales are waterproof and overlap, forming a protective flexible armor.  Glands embedded between the scales secrete mucus that covers the entire body to protect fish from infection.
Dorsal Fin:  This may be a single fin or be separated into several fins. It is used for stability and sudden direction changes.

Caudal (or Tail) Fin:  This is the main propelling fin.

Pectoral Fins:  These fins are used for turning and side to side movements, as well as support and power.

Pelvic Fins: These paired  fins add stability and are used for slowing down.

Anal Fin:  The anal fin adds yet more stability for swimming.

Gills and Gill Cover: The gills are feathery structures on the sides of the head.  They are responsible for the intake of oxygen and the dispersal of carbon dioxide.  In healthy fish, the gills are bright red due to high levels of oxygen in the blood.  The gill cover is a bony plate, and also called an operculum.
Lateral line:  The lateral line is a dark chain of pored scales that connects to sensory cells and nerve fibers.  It can detect electrical currents in water and is used for echo location.

Swim Bladder:  This is a long, air-filled organ linked with the fish's bloodstream by capillaries.  It is used to manipulate their buoyancy and maintain steady floating levels.  A fish can add air to the bladder, causing it to rise.  If air is released, the fish will sink.
Eyes:  Fish are visual predators, with eyesight equal to that of humans.  Many fish are able to see in very dim light or even dark.  Nostrils:  The sense smell is more of a combination between smell and taste (chemoreception).  It is highly developed in most fish.

Mouth:  Taste buds in fish are located in and on the mouth and in some fish, on barbells (like whiskers, as on a catfish).

Print this article
ICE PIRATE

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2005, 09:33 AM »
we see whitefish at 70fow.as soon as our hook gets to the bottom they fight for it.it must be very dark down there yet they come very fast from far away to find our hook.of coarse the light from the camera is prevalent.others without cameras also have this happen to them though.they must be able to see very well!

Offline allenca

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2005, 11:44 PM »
From my research I have found that a northern pike having the best vision can see up to 40 feet. Other fish have worse vision. ;D

hali-man

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2005, 12:33 AM »
From my research I have found that a northern pike having the best vision can see up to 40 feet. Other fish have worse vision. ;D

BS!

Offline allenca

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2005, 07:28 PM »

BS!
You Think I'am lying I'll try to find where i got this info from and will tell you the web site. You dont need a biologist just some brains!!! ;D ;D

hali-man

« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2005, 07:49 AM »
I'm not calling you a liar. I just find it very hard to believe.
Please post any links you have...  8)

Rock Bottom

« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2005, 12:03 PM »
I deffinately do not agree that pike can see 40 ft but back to the panfish, I fished with Gord Pyzer for the last 2 days and he was telling me that when fishin for crappie in 35 ft of water they can see the jig coming down and they swim up to meet it, so I would say they have pretty good sight. I know there is allot of he said she said bs but in truly clear water they would have to see better then us and I think most of us know how well we can see underwater. I am sure they can see  better looking up though as opposed to looking straight or even down.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2005, 02:05 PM »
Years back I visited an Inuit family commercially fishing for arctic char in the open leads on the sea ice near shore of Creswell Bay, Somerset Island.  Their son showed me how he caught them by angling, and dropped a 4" red and white daredevil down to about 4' off the bottom and jiggled it.  I watched a char about 35-40' away in that clear water spot the spoon, and make a beeline for it down the open lead.  It hit and the kid hauled it up.  Char have excellent vision in clear water.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2005, 12:59 AM »
with the amount of action i been getting lately i`m convinced they are all going blind

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.