Author Topic: fish soup  (Read 4134 times)

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
fish soup
« on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:21 AM »
this is not a recipe that a invented but got out of a magazine and have been using for years it is unbelievable guys you got to try it.i like using bluegills.           1 c red new potatoes 1/2indice skin on    1.5 qts fish stock,hot,i have used chicken stock and also worked well      2 strips bacon diced    1 small onion diced     3 ribs celery diced   3oz butter 4oz flour  2 c heavy cream  1c clams in juice diced(optional)   1c cocktail shrimp  1/2c frozen corn  1/2c fresh tomatoes,seeded and chopped(I don't usually deseed them)   1lb fish fillets chunked 2tbsp. parsley chopped   1 tsp. thyme,chopped    salt and pepper to taste             cover potatoes with fish stock and simmer until done.remove potatoes and hold for later. in separate pot,cook bacon until partially rendered.add butter,onion,and celery and sauté until onions are translucent.add flour and combine with a wire whisk to make a roux.cook for 5to 6minutes,stirring constantly.than gradually add the hot fish stock,stirring until thickened and smooth.add cream and chopped clams in juice and simmer about 10 minutes.add potatoes,cocktail shrimp,corn,and tomatoes,stir in gently.add fish chunks and remaining herbs and simmer until done (about 5 minutes) season with salt and pepper.                   I hope you enjoy this as much as we have

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: fish soup
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:18 AM »
Looks good.  Might have to give it a try.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2013, 01:07 PM »
That sounds really good and I have all the makings.

Just finished some lentil soup using left over Christmas dinner ham. I might try your recipe tomorrow.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2013, 01:36 PM »
I HAVE TO try this one looks great
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2013, 03:53 PM »
let me know if you guys like it we think its really good.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:01 AM »
Does the recipe freeze well?  I usually make large quantities and freeze some for later.  Some soups freeze better than others.  Let me know and thanks.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:10 AM »
it freezes okay the fish seem to break down some but we like it so much it was still good.but that was about the only difference,i would just not put the fish in if you plan to freeze than cut up the fish and put in when heating up.that's what we do with the pasta in my minestrone soup.

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2013, 12:21 PM »
Thanks for the recipe, sounds really good I will be giving it a try.

Offline moose1878

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Boil your carrots, celery, onion,and potato   then add a brick of cream cheese and some old bay    let it simmer together and finally add your fish at the end.hard to beat and very easy.  I have some simmering on the stove now

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2013, 09:22 PM »
it freezes okay the fish seem to break down some but we like it so much it was still good.but that was about the only difference,i would just not put the fish in if you plan to freeze than cut up the fish and put in when heating up.that's what we do with the pasta in my minestrone soup.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll be giving this one a shot soon.  All the best in the new year.

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2014, 01:02 AM »
Looks good.  Might have to give it a try.
There wasn't a picture posted, how did you see it ???? ;)2 just busting your chops. Stay safe.

Offline bnybstr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Delish,

Offline raysyncar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2014, 01:14 PM »
I have used the ziplock freezer bags for years . I have never had any problem with quality of my fish. One thing you always have to do is brp the air out of the bag before sealing it.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2014, 01:27 PM »
not the same when its cooked in soup as when its raw

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:14 PM »
Tried it tonight. Great recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Tried it tonight. Great recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!

That settles it.

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.