New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Statewide regulations  (Read 1276 times)

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
Statewide regulations
« on: Feb 25, 2020, 06:37 PM »
To save you all from a long story ...

In the reg book.. What does "statewide regulations apply" mean to you?

Can you ice fish on the lake or not?

I already called the DEC and got an answer but I didnt like their answer so here I am.

Offline Mytipupisbiggerthanyours

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Statewide regulations
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2020, 06:42 PM »
Statewide regulations apply to me sounds like the general “overall” regulations the state has set up.
Ex: Size and creel limits, how many lines you can have in the water, certain species of fish having seasons on them, etc

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2020, 07:37 PM »
To save you all from a long story ...

In the reg book.. What does "statewide regulations apply" mean to you?

Can you ice fish on the lake or not?

I already called the DEC and got an answer but I didnt like their answer so here I am.

so you called the DEC but didn't like thier answer so your here?????   and what are we supposed to do give you a answer you like???? i don't follow what you want?

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:10 PM »
so you called the DEC but didn't like thier answer so your here?????   and what are we supposed to do give you a answer you like???? i don't follow what you want?

Just wanted to see if the fisherman of this site interpret the regulations the same way I do.

The answer I was given was that ice fishing is not allowed on any lake unless it is specifically listed as "ice fishing permitted"

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:17 PM »
Just wanted to see if the fisherman of this site interpret the regulations the same way I do.

The answer I was given was that ice fishing is not allowed on any lake unless it is specifically listed as "ice fishing permitted"

And that my friend would be the correct answer.  Just because trout season may open on April 1, if the pond is still frozen and ice fishing not permitted,  you can't drill a hole to fish

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:27 PM »
And that my friend would be the correct answer.  Just because trout season may open on April 1, if the pond is still frozen and ice fishing not permitted,  you can't drill a hole to fish

100% agree for all trout waters...

Where the confusion is for me is when the lake is listed as "statewide regulations apply" and no trout are present in the lake ..

The person I spoke to at the DEC treated the question as if trout water and non-trout water were the same. No ice fishing allowed unless specified as " ice fishing permitted" or "special regulations apply"

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2020, 11:12 PM »
It's a state regulation and they interrupted for you so you must agree.

Offline bbrown009

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2020, 06:13 AM »
Who did you talk to at DEC? Which office? Was it someone from fish and wildlife? Was it an ECO? You not only need to ask the right question, you need to ask the right person. And make sure you were calling a regional office.

I think the answer they gave you is wrong. That’s not to say your intended water is open to ice fishing, don’t get me wrong, but There are plenty of lakes with no special regulations where I know icefishing is permitted. I just did a computer search within PDF on the regs. I even know a lake where the ECOs conduct a youth ice fishing contest every year, that lake isn’t listed anywhere in the special regs.

I don’t know what your situation is or if you ran into trouble with law-enforcement on a specific water, but try doing a PDF search of the regs and then call the appropriate regional office again or look up the ECO that covers that area.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2020, 07:18 AM »
number one i'd listen to what the DEC tells me!  you can always ask a higher offical .....my understanding is state wide regulations are the general accepted rules state wide UNLESS other wise stated !  i believe all trout waters are closed unless otherwise stated.....no i clearly want to  mention i am not the man to take any legal advice from i use to smoke i always bought the cigarettes with low fetal weight warnings on them thinking who cares i'm all good i ain't having no kids

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.