Author Topic: Getting on top of 'em  (Read 1410 times)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Getting on top of 'em
« on: Feb 10, 2019, 02:37 PM »
Okay, time for this old dog to learn some new tricks. At issue is suspended schools of kokanee, maybe down 40' in 70' of water. My Marcum LX7 will sure point them out in the

water column but they roam in schools. If you drill over them you're guaranteed hot action but if you miss the school by fifty paces, you'll never see a one. Been on both sides of

that crapshoot. It occurs to me that sidefinder technology may be the answer. Looked at the Panoptix but the laughably low, low sticker price ($1500) stopped my heart. Decades

ago the Fishin'  Buddy was touted as having that capability but I never heard if they actually worked. Anybody ever turned their fishfinder transducer at an angle and mounted it to

enable rotation below the ice? Better ideas out there?

Btw--- I put together a dandy jigging machine to pull them over to my location but I still need to get more or less within range for that to work.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Getting on top of 'em
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2019, 02:55 PM »
Back in the "Old Days" we used boat transducers and you could aim them and look around. I would think you could make that work for 50' or so at least give you a look around. I know from fishing from kokanee in the summer you need to find the area with the most fish because  the schools are kind of loose but a majority of the fish are in an area.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2019, 03:34 PM »
sportsmens direct has a device, or you could afro engineer your own with a piece of conduit & some addl. bits.

https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/Sonic-Ice-Hopper/ice-hopper-hoppn-pole/

Offline eastern brook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2019, 03:53 PM »
I have a bottomline fishing budddy 11 with the sidefinder, I use it with my ice 35, and it helps.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:49 PM »
sportsmens direct has a device, or you could afro engineer your own with a piece of conduit & some addl. bits.

https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/Sonic-Ice-Hopper/ice-hopper-hoppn-pole/

There we go. Won't take much Afro-Irish engineering to get something approaching what I had in mind. As appleye reminds us, we used to use re-purposed boat fish finders for that purpose. Which prompted me to check down in my bone pile and there was an old Eagle Fishmark finder that I had bought 30 years ago with just this project in mind. Still in the box unopened. Man, am I getting senile!
 I'll take it from here. Thank you gentlemen.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:54 PM »
They say with age comes senility, I have a bunch of projects sitting around waiting for me to find them again... ;D

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:52 PM »
Okay, time for this old dog to learn some new tricks. At issue is suspended schools of kokanee, maybe down 40' in 70' of water. My Marcum LX7 will sure point them out in the

water column but they roam in schools. If you drill over them you're guaranteed hot action but if you miss the school by fifty paces, you'll never see a one. Been on both sides of

that crapshoot. It occurs to me that sidefinder technology may be the answer. Looked at the Panoptix but the laughably low, low sticker price ($1500) stopped my heart. Decades

ago the Fishin'  Buddy was touted as having that capability but I never heard if they actually worked. Anybody ever turned their fishfinder transducer at an angle and mounted it to

enable rotation below the ice? Better ideas out there?

Btw--- I put together a dandy jigging machine to pull them over to my location but I still need to get more or less within range for that to work.

The schools move around.  If you can figure out their basic pattern, then set up on top of the "highway", run a jigging machine to get their attention, and you can have non-stop action. We had a magical day like that at the Wolf yesterday...  ;)  ;D
Tight lines!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:19 AM »
There we go. Won't take much Afro-Irish engineering to get something approaching what I had in mind. As appleye reminds us, we used to use re-purposed boat fish finders for that purpose. Which prompted me to check down in my bone pile and there was an old Eagle Fishmark finder that I had bought 30 years ago with just this project in mind. Still in the box unopened. Man, am I getting senile!
 I'll take it from here. Thank you gentlemen.

Atta boy! I love what a little brainstorming can do.Sometimes if I'm thinking of something I spill it on someone that has no idea what I'm talking about. Just getting it out in the air can sometimes help. I've used my ice graph 'ducer on a stick and just move it 90 degrees to get a (one) side finder.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:35 AM »
I regret that that the Sonic Ice Hopper that JonPerry mentioned appears to be no longer made. However, the concept of rotating an angled transducer puck surely is no great leap of mechanical engineering.

Co_Dinky… the Wolf is a little out of my natural range so I'm working the Mile instead. On that lake they traditionally cruise in an area about 1/2 mile x a mile with a couple of intervening islands and depths from 30 to 90 feet. Up and down the water column chasing plankton. I've got a good jigging machine but as for finding the "highways", I wouldn't know where to begin. Glad you got over them yesterday. Ain't that amazing fishing?
                                                               Stinky

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:51 PM »
So... Jigging machine stinky. Will it work in -20F? Care  to share a concept? I've been looking for something to bob dead bait when it's way too cold to maintain a wind tippy.  ;D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:56 PM »
I  :clap:regret that that the Sonic Ice Hopper that JonPerry mentioned appears to be no longer made. However, the concept of rotating an angled transducer puck surely is no great leap of mechanical engineering.

Co_Dinky… the Wolf is a little out of my natural range so I'm working the Mile instead. On that lake they traditionally cruise in an area about 1/2 mile x a mile with a couple of intervening islands and depths from 30 to 90 feet. Up and down the water column chasing plankton. I've got a good jigging machine but as for finding the "highways", I wouldn't know where to begin. Glad you got over them yesterday. Ain't that amazing fishing?

11 Mile would actually be a little closer for us too, but the populations have been so down the past 4 years, we haven't been there to chase them for some time.  We don't always hit pay dirt at Wolford either, but this trip was a gem! ;D Non stop action, SO much fun! And the results out of the smoker yesterday were wonderful!!!  :thumbsup: :clap:
Tight lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.