Author Topic: How to improve a HT "Ice Rigger" tipup  (Read 4406 times)

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
How to improve a HT "Ice Rigger" tipup
« on: Nov 20, 2017, 08:22 AM »
Here's what I use for tipup fishing - HT Ice Riggers, with the rod holder upgraded to a Scotty base and rod holder, with the flag enlarged with orange duct tape, and with a second duct tape flag added lower on the shaft for increased visibility.  I've also added a swiveling aluminum bar to prevent the Ice Rigger from sliding down my hole.  In cold weather I set the Ice Rigger on an insulated board with a slot cut in it for my line to keep my hole from icing up.

I prefer to bring fish in with a rod, rather than hand-over-hand.  The rod absorbs the shock of a fighting fish, the drag limits the stress which a fish can put on the hook and line, and I don't end up with a pile of line on the ice.  When fishing for pike and lake trout, the ice rigger lets the fish run off with my bait before swallowing it.  When I want to set the hook right away, I use a Jaw Jacker.

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How to improve a HT "Ice Rigger" tipup
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2017, 08:27 AM »
Nice ideas, like how your using a scotty  rod holder. Thanks for sharing.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Cool I use insulated hole covers so that would prevent the ice rigger from going in the hole. This could only happen if you forgot to leave the bail open. On my baitcaster I leave it in freespool mode and set the magnets so it can't spin line off too fast and cause a rats nest. I also prefer using the riggers to using tipups. I bought one then made myself  a few more. I use wooden dowel for the release mechanism instead of the plastic and with the right sized 0 rings setting the tension is much easier.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:46 AM »
nice mods :clap:
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Very cool mods! I still have and use a few of those but the last couple years I've gone to using The Finicky Fooler...check them out they're awesome!
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.