Author Topic: The most fun way to fish, teasing lakers while jigging  (Read 2334 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
I like to icefish for lake trout through the ice, and here in colorado they are non aggressive and hit very light. I've teased one for up to 15 minutes on my sonar before it would bite. i used every method a jig fisherman ever thought of to get that bite, and all he ended up wanting it was a simple jiggle :-[.
Solid proof that jigging is the best way to icefish.
Just curious, has anybody else teased any type of fish like this?
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Re:The most fun way to fish, teasing lakers while jigging
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2004, 03:39 PM »
IceFishingBear,

I had to laugh when I read your post.  I too have had to go through all kinds of gyrations to get lakers to bite at times.  Once on Fish Lake here in Utah I had several small lakers notice my buzz bomb at 50 feet.  They were interested for a couple of jigs, and then seemed to wander off.  I dropped the buzz bomb, planning to go to the bottom in 110 feet of water.  The lakers began to follow it.  They changed their minds, and I reeled back to 50 feet.  They soon tired of the buzz bomb and left again.  I dropped the buzz bomb again, and they came after it again.  I had to tease them in 10 foot drops all the way to the bottom.  They wouldn't touch the buzz bomb until after it had hit the bottom, but they wouldn't follow it for more than about 10 feet at a time.  Thank goodness for good sonar equipment.  Without sonar, I would never have caught a fish that day.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.