Author Topic: Question new to Ice Fishing  (Read 886 times)

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Question new to Ice Fishing
« on: Nov 25, 2012, 10:56 AM »
I am new to ice fishing but not fishing. I am going to order my lead jigs and paint them myself like I do with soft water cause it is so much cheaper. I am looking at ordering some 1/100, 1/80, 1/50 and 1/32 sized jigs for plastics. Will these sizes fit the bill? I have most sizes above that already for crappie fishing. I can order 200 of these for 20.00 with sickle hooks and I already have the paint to paint them. Alot cheaper than paying 2-3 dollars for 2-3 at a time. IMO
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Question new to Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2012, 12:53 PM »
Those are awful small in my opinion, I usually don't go smaller that 1/32...the 1/50 would be good though...post some pics when you get them painted.
AW

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2012, 06:28 AM »
Those sizes are fine, but what style are they?  I'm assuming they're ball-head.  I would look into several different styles of jigheads, at least including a vertical and horizontal presentations.  Especially when they're touchy, sometimes it's the little things that make a difference.  Also, with the smaller sizes, check out various brands of tungsten jigs.
Prayin' for cold

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2012, 06:20 PM »
I make my own and paint them as well.
What I prefer is powder paint. I made a cheap fluid bed and you just heat them with a heat gun dip in the fluid bed then put in an oven for 20 minutes to cure the paint.
Easy to do and is a great long lasting finish.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.