Author Topic: I'm new to ice-fishing...  (Read 3652 times)

SNOWMISER

I'm new to ice-fishing...
« on: Dec 28, 2003, 04:30 PM »
my questions are simple to answer I would think...
1. How deep should someone set their hook? Does it depend on what I might be trying to fish for?
2. What live bait works best in winter?
3. What size of sinkers should I use?
4.What about line configuration? Should my sinker be near the hook or say 8 inches away to allow the hook to float more?

Also, any other advice, tips or hints would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline fishydog

• IceShanty Rookie
Re:I'm new to ice-fishing...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2003, 11:26 AM »
What kind of fish are you going to be targeting?

Offline NimrodHunting

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2003, 02:23 PM »

Howdie SnowMiser,
   Gotta tell ya, I have been icefishing for years, and still a lot of newbies outfish me.
To me Icefishing is more of a social event so I a'int stuck in the house all winter.  Go
out on the ice, find some people fishing, and I bet they will be more than willing to help
you out with the best methods for the local fishing.  Ice anglers are a pretty friendly lot.
 Good luck.
Save  some for seed.
                                    Bob

acsacmboy

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2003, 11:25 AM »
it all depends on where you fish what you are going to fish for and what kind of gear you have. reply with the basic info and i will give you some info that will be helpful.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2003, 05:02 PM »
What gear do you own already?

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2004, 09:33 PM »
I suggest  going out with some people that already know about icefishing  or find some people to go with on this site     my friend and I while in highschool wasted  about 3 yrs or cold no fish days out on the ice till we finnally learned about how to catch fish and after 3 yrs of not knowing Sh*t  adds up to a few bucks spent on Sh*t you dont need for ice fsihing because they plain dont work well  

simply find someone thats been ice fishing for a while and learn from them
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

tybaby20

« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2004, 12:16 PM »
im also new to ice fishing-just wondering what would be the best jigs to buy for walleye, perch, and panfish

SNOWMISER

« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2004, 03:49 PM »
what I have now is basic equipment:
ice blues 24" medium ibm24s rod
a little trail reel ( I don't what kind it is but it has gears in it )
6# test ice line
a few jigs
some egg sinkers
and a handful of small bobbers

that's it so far, mostly I'll be fishing for bluegills but I don't want to rule out fishing for bigger fish.

SNOWMISER

« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2004, 10:32 PM »
my reel is for an ice fly system on a jig pole and my lures are mostly teardrops. (I had to look that up, I had no clue before)

I really appreciate any help given to me... thank you all.

SNOWMISER

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2004, 04:05 PM »
Well, today was very educational. I was sitting around with others on the ice, I was not doing the best but I did catch a nice bluegill.
I learned that not only does the test of the line matter but that somedays the color  of it is a factor. I was using the 6# test blue line while people around me were using 2# monofilament and they were doing MUCH better than I was.
That is news to me, I knew about the different colors of lures attracting fish at different times of the day or season but the line I never thought of.
They seemed to be biting more on orange this morning and purple the closer it got to noon.
I loved it though it was like going to fishing school today... I even had people showing me how to use their tip-ups when I ws slow getting bites with the jig pole.
Thanks everyone here and thanks to the great people on Lake Mendota, Madison, WI.

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:12 PM »
Snowmiser- I found that going fishing with someone who knows more can be very helpful.  

Tybaby20- I like a Hali jig for perch.  For walleye I like to use a sweedish pimple.  I have also found that bluegill and crappie like them as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.