Author Topic: What am I gonna do with this?  (Read 2928 times)

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
What am I gonna do with this?
« on: Dec 12, 2004, 04:20 PM »
Last night, on our way back from the BPS Ice Fishing Weekend, we stopped at Gander Mountain in Cicero. While there, I got a seemingly great deal on a new jigging rod. The thing is, this rod is a 48", light power, HT Ice Blue. The rod was marked down to $8, so I thought I'd get it. Afterall, it seemed like a hell of a deal. I really like the rod a lot. But I was wondering...what exactly could this rod be used for? I highly doubt it would have enough backbone to handle lakers or salmon, but maybe? ??? I'd appreciate any suggestions (within reason) that are offered. Thanks!

-Zach

camo_fish

Re: What am I gonna do with this?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2004, 04:34 PM »
Wellllll, ahhhh, what is that thing your holding.  :P how about those little guys.  ;) ;D
I agree with grump, it the reel your using, I've caught lots of nice fish on ultralight rods.  :D

NAD42

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2004, 04:37 PM »
Last night, on our way back from the BPS Ice Fishing Weekend, we stopped at Gander Mountain in Cicero. While there, I got a seemingly great deal on a new jigging rod. The thing is, this rod is a 48", light power, HT Ice Blue. The rod was marked down to $8, so I thought I'd get it. Afterall, it seemed like a hell of a deal. I really like the rod a lot. But I was wondering...what exactly could this rod be used for? I highly doubt it would have enough backbone to handle lakers or salmon, but maybe? ??? I'd appreciate any suggestions (within reason) that are offered. Thanks!

-Zach
if it was an IBT-44 trout rod, I'd pay ya double... ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2004, 04:42 PM »
suprising how an ultralight rod will stand up to a heavy hitting/fighting fish...i wouldnt be so much afraid of using it for lakers or northerns....its the reel that i would be worried about...get one drag screaming run from a good sized fish, and a light duty reel would be toast pretty quickly... sounds like you have a great rod for pounding perch, crappie, walleye...you may not have too many buddies if you used that in a shanty though....Grump ;D

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2004, 05:00 PM »
I would use it as a deasticking rod .

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2004, 05:01 PM »
Chen,
 I use rods up tp 30"...another 18" is quite a bit.

Is it set up for a spinning or bait caster reel?

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2004, 05:47 PM »
RG, It's a spinning rod. I'm looking for a baitcaster, but can't find one made for icefishin ::)

-Zach

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2004, 05:54 PM »
lucky if you find a baitcaster ice fishing reel....i moved my Shimano over to an icerod....you can bet i will not be deadsticking that one though!!!!....dont think there is much practical use for a baitcast setup for icefishing other than spinning reels are not so great combos with superlight line....peel off the spool too easily when fishing in the open and wind....Grump :P

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2004, 06:10 PM »
I have a Browning and an HT rod made for the small HT Ice Baitcasters....I love them in water less than 10'.
 I also use my 821XLT baitcasters on a rod I made for walleye and perch. I like it in temps above 20....no line twist, great drag and lots of muscle.

Those both came from B-E Fishing Tackle.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2004, 07:38 PM »
If you don't want it... send it to me!!!
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2004, 11:03 AM »
Ultralights are the way to go. Its always more fun to go with the lightest. As for the baitcaster style reel, I dont care for that style too much but I have seen them at www.jannsnetcraft.com.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.