New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Do Lake trout taste good?  (Read 26289 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Do Lake trout taste good?
« Reply #120 on: Jan 13, 2018, 11:54 AM »
Believe it or not, I hated them until my wife got a tip from someone. cut them in half, toss them in olive oil, put them on a cookie sheet, season them with what you like and roast them in the oven. I'm a convert!!!

Ha---that's how we do lake trout!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #121 on: Jan 13, 2018, 11:54 AM »
Believe it or not, I hated them until my wife got a tip from someone. cut them in half, toss them in olive oil, put them on a cookie sheet, season them with what you like and roast them in the oven. I'm a convert!!!

Ha---that's how we do lake trout!!

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #122 on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:20 PM »
Just to stir the pot, so to speak, here's how I did up a 15 pounder for a couple of guys from down your way.   This picture is after about two hours on the flesh side.  Gave it about another half hour on the skin side.  No seasoning other than the fire, the smoke, and a little ash swirl once in a while.

Guess how much was left?  Trapper, you really need to come up here, and give this a try.

Happy New Year!
Ted

Offline Mjm1876

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Jan 20, 2019, 03:47 PM »
Always do a Schroon Laker fish fry...have soaked them in milk or a brine, cut into chunks, coat in a beer batter and drop in deep fryer... even some people that are not fish fans enjoy!

Offline Longlegg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:56 PM »
If you only like walleye, perch and crappie and don't like salmon you won't like lake trout or big browns as they all are oily. Personally I like them broiled, grilled, smoked and even can them. Somewhat depends on where they are caught but they are always oily.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #125 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:00 PM »
I love browns   and alantics   salmon and lake trout are good for growing tomatos

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:17 AM »
I have a buddy that says bass taste like mud. I love them. I also love all species I catch, including lakers. Different strokes for different folks. I like the large lakers. I steak them and pan fry them in a little water and a can of tomatoes. YUM! The smaller ones, I rub in olive oil, wrap in foil and roast on the ol'barbi. DOUBLE YUM!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Jan 22, 2019, 05:33 PM »
I have a buddy that says bass taste like mud.

My bro says that too. But, unlike him, I have never eaten mud!!

Offline Ice pirate 74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Jan 23, 2019, 05:23 AM »
I wouldn’t eat one

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #129 on: Jan 23, 2019, 05:38 AM »
My wife’s grandparents caught them in Sebago Lake.  Made them into fish chowder. They were good.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Soak them in toilet water for about an hour, Drain, Deep Fry,  throw fish out the window and drink the water.

Heard a similar story from this guy my dad knows. He says to get a nice cedar board, nail the fish to the board, bake 350 for 45 minutes, then take it out of the oven, take the fish off the board, throw the fish out and eat the board.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #131 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:50 AM »
While fishing in Canada I would fillet them to get most of the bones out, dip in egg wash, roll in cracker crumbs and pan fry them. They were delicious and guys were coming from neighboring cabins to taste them because they had heard they didn't taste good. Soon they were cooking them the same way.  Once frozen they go in my smoker.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:11 PM »
Here we go again.. funny how the same threads pop up every year on this site. Seems like it's about a 50/50 split across the board. I dont mind the small ones. I won't eat the big ones. My wife doesn't like them unless I don't tell her that she is eating lake trout. Then she can't tell.. she always says I don't like the taste of that dark line in the middle. She is right the lateral lines make them taste like $h-t.

Offline Fishmongerlyndon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:48 PM »
they are extremely good baked , and pan fried in garlic, and white wine, However I prefer them smoked

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:58 PM »
they are extremely good baked , and pan fried in garlic, and white wine, However I prefer them smoked

Where do you get the papers large enough to smoke'em? lol

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #135 on: Jan 23, 2019, 02:07 PM »
They're edible ...the smaller the better kinda like any fish. But if you've eaten an 8" brook trout .......

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #136 on: Jan 23, 2019, 02:18 PM »
Here we go again.. funny how the same threads pop up every year on this site. Seems like it's about a 50/50 split across the board. I dont mind the small ones. I won't eat the big ones. My wife doesn't like them unless I don't tell her that she is eating lake trout. Then she can't tell.. she always says I don't like the taste of that dark line in the middle. She is right the lateral lines make them taste like $h-t.

dude that line is not something you want to be eating. you gotta clean it... please don't tell me you don't clean that...………..

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #137 on: Jan 23, 2019, 03:05 PM »
I've cooked them on an old hickory board.  Toss out the trout and eat the board.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Jan 23, 2019, 04:25 PM »
dude that line is not something you want to be eating. you gotta clean it... please don't tell me you don't clean that...………..
no. You gotta cut that out. Even then you still taste it. Not as bad as bluefish but bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.