New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Gettin' silly on Simon Pond! NORTHERN CHALLENGE '14!  (Read 10808 times)

Offline navynozle

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Gettin' silly on Simon Pond! NORTHERN CHALLENGE '14!
« Reply #60 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Wheeler or sled ? what do you think? is there a lot of snow on the lake?

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:04 PM »
as Combsey said, there will always be those   trying to cheat at events like this because of the payouts. There will also be ignorant drunks who can't handle themselves. But there are also 500 great ice fisherman out there trying to have a good time and meet new people. You just got to choose which type you want to be. Fortunately for the three years I have never had any issues. Seems like a lot of people bring their kids to the event, as Tim mentioned its a great place for young kids to hopefully hook into atleast one small pike if not more.
I AGREE. THERE ARE FOR THE MOST PART GREAT PEOPLE WHO ARE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP AND ACT LIKE ADULTS AT SUCH EVENTS. BUT,IT ONLY TAKES A FEW TO RUIN IT FOR THE REST AND NEVER COME BACK. I FOR ONE WILL MEVER ATTEND THE CHALLANGE AGAIN AND I KNOW OF AT LEAST 12 MORE THAN FEEL THE SAME WAY.
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Jan 30, 2014, 01:47 PM »
As some have asked.... Can a local let us know if there's enough snow for sleds or is it better for a wheeler.

Offline davek134

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:17 PM »
I have been next to locals and watch them catch fish.  Yea I am sure there a couple cheater but I don't think it detracts from a well run tournament   I have attended from 2007 off and on due to weather  You still have a chance to win two four wheeler at random .  No one in my. Group in 6 years has won anything but we keep coming.  Our group fished. was-next to guy in fight last year and he was very nice to us and was surprised .   Great time .not to mention 50 50

We don't bring quad but get day early to mark spot

There are couple thing they should consider
Do all dor prizes at end  so the guys with out machines can see if they won
Consider better PA system
Consider using radio Chanel's to announce winner every hour. 
Limit use of atv to weigh in and designate a spot for ripping around

Don't complain we drive 4 hours to this tourney every year.  It is a blast

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Time for my 2 cents!
I have participated in this turney for many years. This is my 9th. I have never had a problem with anyone. I have met some really GREAT folks. One year a couple of kids came over to ask me if I would cut a hole for them. Very respectful young teens. No problem. I set them up. About an hour latter, an elderly lady came up to me and asked if I was the one who helped her grandsons out. When I said I was glad to help, she handed me a contained with hot home made soup and warm bread in it, It was really welcomed, as all  I brought were cold sandwiches. Another year, the fellows next to me saw me eating a sandwich and brought over a fresh grilled venison burger. Just being friendly. Yes, there are drunks. Yes, there are jerks.  You run into that at any big tourney. But, it is NOT JUST a drunken party. I don't take or use alcohol on the ice. No, I'm not against drinking,. I do drink. But not out fishing. I have a three hour drive home, in the dark, pulling a trailer. I don't need any problems.   I participate in a lot of tourneys each year. This is one of the best run I have ever been in. Dave, Mike and the boys & ladies of the club do a great job. If you don't like the way things are run, please stay home. I like it just the way it is. Yes, there will be cheaters, but the club does the best it can to deter such stupidity. As far as camping out on the ice goes, if I couldn't camp out, I couldn't participate. I'm just a poor redneck, trying to have a little fun. I can't afford hotels and restaurants. I camp out at 5-6 tourneys each winter, for the cost of a hotel for one tourney. 'Nough said. I wish all my fellow fishermen, women and kids a GREAT, fun and safe tourney this weekend!

Offline jonnygorgo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:44 PM »
We pay your entry fees, drive hours to your sleepy town, occupy every hotel room in a 30 mile radius, fill your restaurants.. so on & so on.

This year I will be pulling a four-wheeler back to Saranac Lake, where the hotels are filled due to our winter carnival. If you are in the the area, you should stop by and see our very unique ice castle!

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Wheeler or sled ? what do you think? is there a lot of snow on the lake?
Not much snow.  Either will work just fine!
Mike

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:01 PM »
As some have asked.... Can a local let us know if there's enough snow for sleds or is it better for a wheeler.
Conditions are great for either machine!
Mike

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:08 PM »
we have a new p.a. system that should work as we paid a lot of money for  it.
All door prizes will be drawn by noon.  Check in before 4 to get yours if you won.  We will not draw numbers for door prizes that were not picked up before 4 so as to hurry things along at the end of the day when everyone is anxious to be on their way.  Any door prizes not picked up before 4 o-clock will become property of the club. 
If you see someone cheating and can prove it, by all means we want to know about it.
Mike

I have been next to locals and watch them catch fish.  Yea I am sure there a couple cheater but I don't think it detracts from a well run tournament   I have attended from 2007 off and on due to weather  You still have a chance to win two four wheeler at random .  No one in my. Group in 6 years has won anything but we keep coming.  Our group fished. was-next to guy in fight last year and he was very nice to us and was surprised .   Great time .not to mention 50 50

We don't bring quad but get day early to mark spot

There are couple thing they should consider
Do all dor prizes at end  so the guys with out machines can see if they won
Consider better PA system
Consider using radio Chanel's to announce winner every hour. 
Limit use of atv to weigh in and designate a spot for ripping around

Don't complain we drive 4 hours to this tourney every year.  It is a blast

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:35 PM »
is there any weeds in Channel or at the far east end near deep??seems like all weed beds in flats in the bay in front of boat launch???any information would be gratefully appreciated!! Thanks   see you guys there. Good luck!!!

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:50 AM »
is there any weeds in Channel or at the far east end near deep??seems like all weed beds in flats in the bay in front of boat launch???any information would be gratefully appreciated!! Thanks   see you guys there. Good luck!!!
There are some weeds in the "narrows" along both sides where you can find about 12' of water.  If you go around the small island (pilot point) and into that last bay on the right side there are more weeds.  If you go too far back into that bay the water gets pretty shallow.
Mike

Offline adkmtnman76

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • summer beauty!!
« Reply #71 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:44 AM »
Listen people as far as lake simon goes good luck i live on the lake  as for snow on ice very little if any at all  the whole area in front of rodngun is 1-6ft if u head to right as soon as u hit ice you'llsee the narrows this is where it starta to drop off. If your looking for deeper water head towards narrows or go through them

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:05 AM »
Thanks!

Offline dewyea21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Fished this yesterday and about to go fish it right now! Ice conditions are great. At most there's 3 inches of snow on the ice but a good majority is even bare. 17 inches of ice in the spots I've checked. I drive my truck right into the back bay :)

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Feb 02, 2014, 02:35 PM »
had an awesome time. what perfect weather we had for the derby, it was gorgeous until about 2pm. Congrats to those winners. Seemed like a very smooth derby with no issues in my opinion. Great job Dave and all those who put on the awesome event. be back next year

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 02, 2014, 02:55 PM »
so i have to ask,who won first place and the wheeler?

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Feb 02, 2014, 03:01 PM »
not sure on names but 2 guys won the machines and 1 guy cleaned house with 2 first place winners + $1110 in the lunker pool. can you say $1900+payday for a beautiful day of fishing!!

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:38 PM »
any idea where the winners were from? just wondering,thanks.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Feb 02, 2014, 05:58 PM »
pretty crazy that there was only one fish over 6lbs and that was the 13lber caught in the 8-9 hour. I couldn't believe there were no 7/8/9 lbers at all.

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:52 PM »
the pond is fished out!

Offline adkmtnman76

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • summer beauty!!
« Reply #80 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:49 PM »
That is gonna happen to cranberry too

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:51 PM »
the pond is fished out!
I don't think it is fished out, as we weighed in over 200 fish.  Admittedly, most were small, but I think that is either a record number for us, or at least a near record number.
mike

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:15 PM »
If anyone knows the guy who won the T.L. Archers 50/50 raffle at the Challenge on Saturday please have him get in touch with me at: 518-359-7541..Thanks.
Mike

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #83 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Don't think it's fished out just moved out with all the people and traffic.  I know of a couple big pike caught with in the last couple of weeks and the fish were released.
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #84 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:02 AM »
Definitely not fished out, we landed 8 pike (just two of us fishing), all small, but we did tie into something BIG that bit through our leader. With all the noise from augers and machines, it's a stroke of pure luck to get the bigger fish in there during the derby. I bet that place is pretty good other times! We had a good time as usual and will be heading back next year! Kudos to Dave and his crew for another well run event! We'll see everyone back up there in two weeks for the NYS Ice Pro-Am event on Big Tupper!!  @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:27 AM »
Ya I wouldn' say fished out atall. There were 200+ fish weighed in thats great.

Offline adkmtnman76

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • summer beauty!!
« Reply #86 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:33 AM »
Def not fished out but loaded with little guys

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #87 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:58 AM »
How many People entered the derby?
Paul

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #88 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:14 AM »
How many People entered the derby?

Over 700.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:44 AM »
just shy of 850 i think

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.