New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Walleye Challenge on the Great Sacandaga  (Read 11112 times)

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Walleye Challenge on the Great Sacandaga
« Reply #30 on: Nov 11, 2013, 11:51 AM »
I screwed myself last year by not entering the ross bait shop contest on the same day of the fuel n food contest.placed fifth in the fuelnfood contest,wouldve had first in ross'

Offline dan_lais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NORTHERN!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 12, 2013, 09:33 PM »
yea hear ya octane that 250 extra entries will really do this scumhole area good.hoping a lot of the hole in the wall places make it into the black this year on this tourney.....hope to win first place in an hour someday too.dang walleye just don't cooperate on the right day for us.we catch nice ones on the leisure days out.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #32 on: Nov 13, 2013, 07:05 AM »
One of the reasons I like this tourney ,Is my first time on the lake for this tourney I took 1st place one of the hrs.I met Dave of world famous Dave's bait,and a few of the guys in his shop. What I liked about the people,was they treated me like I was one of the locale's and had fished with them for yrs. The elusive walleye is a great fish to target, I am an avid walleye fisherman,I do a fly in float plane trip in northern Quebec every yr.This last summer scored my personal best of over 900 walleye's in 7 days.lots of peanut oil, beer batter and cigars.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 13, 2013, 07:47 AM »
One of the reasons I like this tourney ,Is my first time on the lake for this tourney I took 1st place one of the hrs.I met Dave of world famous Dave's bait,and a few of the guys in his shop. What I liked about the people,was they treated me like I was one of the locale's and had fished with them for yrs. The elusive walleye is a great fish to target, I am an avid walleye fisherman,I do a fly in float plane trip in northern Quebec every yr.This last summer scored my personal best of over 900 walleye's in 7 days.lots of peanut oil, beer batter and cigars.

Although he is quite a character, I have to agree with my friend octanehi5.  ;D  Can't vouch for his fish stories though, need to see the film on that one.   :roflmao: Great folks in the area of the Dead Sea, we always have a good time. I try to make a long weekend out of it, arrive Friday AM and fish until Sunday PM. Love the after party at Lanzi's. We plan to stop at each bait store and pick up a few things, eat at a different restaurant each night, usually pick something up for the Mrs. in one of the local stores, if she's been good. ;)
If everybody from out of town pitches in just a little bit it can really help the local businesses. I know this to be true since I live in a coastal town where the population triples on weekends in the summer, the economy here is quite dependant on tourism even if they are just summer scum.

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 14, 2013, 07:14 AM »
Dave is one of the nicest and most helpful guys you'll find,in fact I was at his shop yesterday. Our population does the same thing here eiderz,in the summer,and the winter with ice fishermen and snowmobilers

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 14, 2013, 07:51 AM »
Dave is one of the nicest and most helpful guys you'll find,in fact I was at his shop yesterday. Our population does the same thing here eiderz,in the summer,and the winter with ice fishermen and snowmobilers

Agree 100 percent about "World Famous Dave" being a great guy. His shop is real good ol'days style, so many piles of goodies that it seems crowded with 3 guys in the store. But we do stop at the other shops, everybody has something special we can't do without.  ;D For us that is part of the charm of this tournament, the bait shops, fishing the Dead Sea and the party at Lanzi's can't be beat. An all around good time. :thumbsup:

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:53 AM »
You're absolutely right,with all the stuff he has,when there's more than 2 people you can barely move,but that's the beauty of Dave's! I also go to the other shops,especially franks and fuel n food.once again,there's a really great atmosphere,Frank and John are great and so are Lou and Nancy :)

Offline dan_lais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NORTHERN!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 14, 2013, 03:00 PM »
cant forget Jim`s either. another good shop.cant wait for this tourney.and for ice in general.

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #38 on: Nov 14, 2013, 04:03 PM »
cant forget Jim`s either. another good shop.cant wait for this tourney.and for ice in general.

You said it.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 14, 2013, 06:54 PM »
If I recall correctly, Jim's is the shop a couple hundred feet west of 30 in the center of Mayfield? He's on the stop-and-shop list!

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 14, 2013, 07:41 PM »
If I recall correctly, Jim's is the shop a couple hundred feet west of 30 in the center of Mayfield? He's on the stop-and-shop list!
that's right,another very well stocked shop,very convenient also if you fish Mayfield lake like I do

Offline dan_lais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NORTHERN!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: Nov 16, 2013, 06:12 PM »
he will always give ya real reports on fishing action too.always has what we need and a helluva nice guy.dont know the other guys name that helps run it but he is a good egg too.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 16, 2013, 07:07 PM »
This has me wondering how many bait & tackle stores there are in the area of GSL. I have been to four, Dave's, Fuel n Food, Jim's and another out toward, if I remember correctly, Broadalbin. Is that one "Frank's"? I know nothing about stores toward the north end of the lake because we come in from the south (I-90) along 30. Anyone care to post a list with business addresses?

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 17, 2013, 07:49 AM »
Your right the one by Broadalbin is Franks,its just a couple miles down rt30 from fuel n food. There really aren't any bait shops up on the north end,just one little place here in edinburg called laports
I can try and find all the addresses and post them

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 17, 2013, 07:56 AM »
Thanks, I was thinking it might be helpful to the out-of-towners, as well as beneficial to the bait shops. Most everyone is already aware, but it bears mentioning that NY has a live bait law so guys coming in from other states should plan to buy bait locally.

Offline numinous

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the going gets tough the tough go fishing!
« Reply #45 on: Nov 18, 2013, 05:40 AM »
This'll be my first time at this tourney and I have some questions. It says the fish must be kept alive. How do you do this? Bag? Sled? Plastic box? And would you need a machine to get you to the weigh in if you are far away? Thanks in advance.

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 18, 2013, 06:43 AM »
Well numinous,the way we do it is we use Rubbermaid storage totes with a battery powered aerator,anything that holds water and is big enough will do. And yes,if you are far away you would need to use a machine or car to bring the fish in.we generally have someone else run the fish in so we can keep fishing

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 18, 2013, 07:02 AM »
Here's a list of the local bait shops with their addresses: Franks gun and tackle 3549 rt30 between mayfield and broadalbin,Fuel n food 3006 rt30 mayfield,Dave's bait shop 247 Bunker hill rd mayfield,Jim's bait shop 118 2nd ave ext. mayfield, Ross's bait shop 271 manny corners rd. Amsterdam,and Laports bait 11 Sinclair rd Edinburg

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 18, 2013, 07:26 AM »
Nice, thanks Goose! Lou at Fuel n Food deserves a special shout out as the primary organizer of the tournament.

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 18, 2013, 01:35 PM »
Yes Lou does,ive known him all my life,he is an awesome guy and he does a great thing for the community by making these tournaments happen

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #50 on: Nov 18, 2013, 04:16 PM »
Thanks Lou ;D

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #51 on: Nov 18, 2013, 06:40 PM »
#teambrotherdads will be stopping at fuel n food and then world famous Dave's bait and tackle in that order. What a guy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #52 on: Nov 18, 2013, 07:31 PM »
#teambrotherdads will be stopping at fuel n food and then world famous Dave's bait and tackle in that order. What a guy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll follow you guys!! ;) @)

Can anyone PM me Lou's contact info?
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #53 on: Nov 18, 2013, 07:38 PM »

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Nov 18, 2013, 08:13 PM »
I'll follow you guys!! ;) @)

Can anyone PM me Lou's contact info?

U got it :icefish:

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 18, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Do any of you guys fish Lou's 3 day contest in march? In my opinion it is an even better contest,because it is 3 days,the weigh in is awesome,there's the free pig roast for the participants too.

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Nov 19, 2013, 05:04 AM »
Do any of you guys fish Lou's 3 day contest in march? In my opinion it is an even better contest,because it is 3 days,the weigh in is awesome,there's the free pig roast for the participants too.

Haven't been able to do yet but sounds like a good time:)

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #58 on: Nov 19, 2013, 05:17 AM »

I might be game if it doesn't interfere with the IPA Series. When in March is it?
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Nov 19, 2013, 05:57 AM »
It's an awesome contest.im pretty sure it's the first weekend in march every year,that's the one contest ill never miss

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.